Railway & Modelling Obituaries

George Woodcock

Craig1989

• Moderators

A huge loss from the exhibition circuit as he will be to family and friends. Any time spent with George, even if he'd got the hump, was time well spent. A lovely, lovely bloke who will be missed by many.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Sad news indeed.

Whenever I met George he was great company and always positive about model railways.

I remember the last time I saw him was lineside, photographing on Harrowden Road bridge north of Wellingborough on the Midland Mainline about 11 years ago.  We had a good natter about railway modelling, railways and life in general.

I believe before he retired he was a lorry driver for Swift Transport and Christian Salveson in Northampton.

He was a great modeller and encouraged others. Sadly I never saw Towcester in the flesh so to speak.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Mark 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have just heard of the sad news that George Woodcock has passed away.

He will be sadly missed not only by his family and close friends, but many modellers and model railway enthusiasts.

RIP George 

Terry 

• Agree 1

Very sad news ,although i never meet George i have always been a big fan of all his layouts, the first time i became aware of George was one of his layouts in  model rail many years ago,he built so many classic layouts over the years ,watching exhibitions on you tube it has been a joy to hear George talking to people ,a true gentleman and a giant of our hobby rip George

I was very saddened to hear about this as he was a first class Bloke who always had time for a Chinwag.  Can still remember the first time I spoke to him at the Kidlington Exhibition when he had a lovely little Layout with him which had a small platform, a small yard with a Steel terminal being shunted by a a DJH 02 and a Coal unloading point.  Spent what seemed like an age chatting to him and a very friendly other bloke who's name I cannot remember. He showed me his Brand new Bachmann 37403 so must have been 2002 ish. i cannot remember why the conversation changed the way it did but moved onto him looking like Bill Oddie much to his disgust!  Funny thing is every time I saw him he he always said hello and had time for a chat even if he wasn't exhibiting. And when he was he seemed to have yet another new Layout with Him. They were always really good too.  A great Modeller and a real Character RIP George you will be greatly missed.

Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I was told this very sad news at the Weekend at the N gauge show in Leamington Spa, it came as a bit of a shock.  He is someone we all will miss.

I know he has been having  this battle for a some time, but this sad news was still a bit if a shock.  

See you one day George !!

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

A great shame, I always found his prolific output inspiring and we were interested in a lot of the same diesels.

He freely shared a lot of class 37 photos with me and we realised we lived near each other in Northants , although we never actually got to meet .

RIP George .

• 2 weeks later...