Rear bunker numbering?

Right Away

• RMweb Gold

Whilst having a browse through some older books I came across this undated photo of an ex LBSC D3 0-4-4 tank at Horsham in unlined BR black livery with its number on the rear of the bunker. The loco carries the early crest (did it even go straight from “Southern”, missing out the “British Railways” notation on the tanks?) and was withdrawn in 1953.

Would this rear numbering, a short-lived early BR practice, have been applied to many engines?

IMG_3296.jpeg.ea9b839107cfd9c9fb2bb97a6e0a2826.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jason

I’ve now found photos of both two ex-LBSCR Pacific tanks with the BR number on the bunker rear, courtesy of Mike Morant’s online collection.

I would imagine there are plenty more examples of other classes showing this practice.

Edited by Right Away
correction

ISTR that IoW locos in BR days carried the Wxx number on the bunker rear.  I always thought that it was a SR practice.

A quick image search has popped up W24 with a number plate on the rear of the bunker

LSWR O2 class  W24 CALBOURNE at Ryde Pier head

20 minutes ago, AMJ said:

ISTR that IoW locos in BR days carried the Wxx number on the bunker rear.  I always thought that it was a SR practice.

A quick image search has popped up W24 with a number plate on the rear of the bunker

I think that practice dated back to pre grouping IoWR days. Possibly some operating need for the numbers to be seen when working bunker first?

Jason

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Right Away said:

... there are plenty more examples of other classes showing this practice.

There are, indeed ........ bunker rear numbers were standard on the Southern for many years though the application did vary over time, between Works and even between loco colours !   Often seems to have been the place to use up out-dated transfers and the exact application with/without 'S' or '3' prefix in early BR days didn't always correspond with the cabside !  [ Further details in the Southern Style volumes ]

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, AMJ said:

The plates were affixed in SR days, and in BR days removed, the words "Southern Railway" ground off, and the plates replaced. The last three that arrived after nationalisation didn't have them though.