Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Were any of them any good?

On 13/10/2023 at 17:01, rka said:

I have a crownline chassis kit for mine so no problem in that respect, I haven't noticed any pain guide lines on the body kit however. 

You are chucking away the best bit.   I put Romford 60:1 gears on one of mine and it completely transforms it.
It will shift 20 heavy metal chassis wagons and yet slip happily at a buffer stop  without overheating the motor.  It is so slow it has to go everywhere flat out and is very irritating when let loose on the mainline as it takes for ever to get anywhere.   Glazing the cab windows hides the ring field.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, DCB said:

You are chucking away the best bit.   I put Romford 60:1 gears on one of mine and it completely transforms it.
It will shift 20 heavy metal chassis wagons and yet slip happily at a buffer stop  without overheating the motor.  It is so slow it has to go everywhere flat out and is very irritating when let loose on the mainline as it takes for ever to get anywhere.   Glazing the cab windows hides the ring field.  

I don't have a Hornby dublo one, it is a kitmaster body and a crownline chassis kit. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2023 at 04:19, DCB said:

.  It is so slow it has to go everywhere flat out and is very irritating when let loose on the mainline as it takes for ever to get anywhere.  

That is completely prototypical for an 08. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I always remember, when working as a shift supervisor at Taunton in the early 1980s, that the exchange of the outstabled (at Taunton) 08 with another from Exeter, always took all night. A set of Taunton men (driver and secondman) would book on at the beginning of the night, take the 08 (normally stabled in those days in the former Chard bay, at the London-end of the down relief platform) and drive it at 15 mph to Exeter, almost always being looped at Tiverton Jct (or even put away in Whiteball Siding) for a fast train to pass. The replacement 08 took just as long to get back, often also being regulated at Tiverton Jct in the up direction.

The 08 was used, in those days, to shunt Taunton East Yard (which was still receiving revenue-earning freight traffic) and also work the tripper out to Taunton Cider at Norton Fitzwarren, plus any other tasks required of it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I always remember, when working as a shift supervisor at Taunton in the early 1980s, that the exchange of the outstabled (at Taunton) 08 with another from Exeter, always took all night. A set of Taunton men (driver and secondman) would book on at the beginning of the night, take the 08 (normally stabled in those days in the former Chard bay, at the London-end of the down relief platform) and drive it at 15 mph to Exeter, almost always being looped at Tiverton Jct (or even put away in Whiteball Siding) for a fast train to pass. The replacement 08 took just as long to get back, often also being regulated at Tiverton Jct in the up direction.

The 08 was used, in those days, to shunt Taunton East Yard (which was still receiving revenue-earning freight traffic) and also work the tripper out to Taunton Cider at Norton Fitzwarren, plus any other tasks required of it.

And people wonder why you see locomotives going down the motorway on the back of a lorry.

I believe some shunter trips like this used to be undertaken just to refuel.  It's hard to imagine how much cheaper it must be to bringing the fuel lorry to the loco instead of the loco to the fuelling point.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I  did some wheel profile comparisons earlier, Its quite amazing how much Triang differed from Hornby Dublo in the late 1950s and how little Hornby 2010 era wheels differ from 1958 Hornby

DSCN2053.JPG

DSCN2054.JPG

DSCN2055.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1