RMweb

"Les Caves du Roy" Banlieue Est, Beyrouth - Chemin de fer de l'Etat Libanais (C.E.L.)

Lineas Cubanas

On 30/01/2024 at 13:17, steve45 said:

"The only other wagons I have some nagging doubt with are these 2 x tank cars below, not sure why…….?" - perhaps is it that there are no apparent dribbles from the filler cap area?

On 30/01/2024 at 13:27, Andy Hayter said:

Are they gas or liquid tankers?  To my inexpert eye they look like gas - butane or propane - in which case there will be no dribbles but perhaps some rain washed staining.

Thanks for the feedback 

They are petrol tankers so yes, I think they could benefit from some stains/dribbles etc, maybe they are a bit too clean around the ladders as well.....

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

They are petrol tankers so yes, I think they could benefit from some stains/dribbles etc, maybe they are a bit too clean around the ladders as well.....

Petrol is a solvent, so rather than stains, would the petrol not leave cleaner streaks if it spilled - though spilled petrol sounds like bad news in a war zone.

• Informative/Useful 1

Petrol, in my experience of warzones, tends to burn not explode. Certainly the Hollywood trope of a car exploding when a bullet hits it is BS. Petroleum vapour on the other hand does explode, but even that is surprisingly hard to do. 

The tank on the left has been hit by something that penetrated from the outside, though the creasing at the bottom of the hole does suggest a decent sized blast.

The one one the right shows something either went bang inside or went straight through it. But the shrapnel holes don't fit with a fuel explosion so I would go with the latter.

The lack of blast/flash scorching to the paintwork of both wagons also suggests that the damage is unrelated to any former contents.

Knowing a little about Beirut, I would hazzard a guess at target practice or merely bored militiamen with access to too many dangerous toys.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gypsy said:

The one one the right shows something either went bang inside or went straight through it. But the shrapnel holes don't fit with a fuel explosion so I would go with the latter.

This one possibly is due to an internal blast of the vapour in an empty tank maybe pierced with an incendiary or tracer  munition.  Empty tanks can be very much more dangerous than full ones for the reasons you say.

• Like 1

Maybe, but there is no resulting blast/flash damage to the paintwork.

Appologies for the off topic, but of relevance (to the weathering) is that fact that there would be charring/smoke damage in the event of a fuel fire as well as considerably more rust.

Your point about empty is very true though. I've seen a burst of tracer go straight through a fuel (petrol) bowser with the only result being several streams of petrol pouring out of the resulting holes.

Edited by Gypsy
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2024 at 20:57, Gypsy said:

Petrol, in my experience of warzones, tends to burn not explode. Certainly the Hollywood trope of a car exploding when a bullet hits it is BS. Petroleum vapour on the other hand does explode, but even that is surprisingly hard to do. 

The tank on the left has been hit by something that penetrated from the outside, though the creasing at the bottom of the hole does suggest a decent sized blast.

The lack of blast/flash scorching to the paintwork of both wagons also suggests that the damage is unrelated to any former contents.

Knowing a little about Beirut, I would hazzard a guess at target practice or merely bored militiamen with access to too many dangerous toys.

On 31/01/2024 at 21:09, Andy Hayter said:

This one possibly is due to an internal blast of the vapour in an empty tank maybe pierced with an incendiary or tracer  munition.  Empty tanks can be very much more dangerous than full ones for the reasons you say.

I was probably being "tongue in cheek" when I posted the photo suggesting it was caused by petrol exploding.....

The actual photo description suggests they have been "destroyed by artillery"

These tank cars were photographed in the yard at Tripoli Station in Northern Lebanon, which is not too far from the Syrian Border. The Syrian occupation of Lebanon began in 1976 , during the Syrian intervention in the Lebanese Civil War, and ended on April 30, 2005, after the Cedar Revolution. The tank cars came from Poland : 18 in 1975 and 30 in 1983.

So putting the above together with your thoughts might provide a possible explanation of what happened........

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

Moving onto motive power for painting and weathering, the first to go into the shop will be:

Screenshot2023-02-23at09_54_22.png.7e8fe2a7df115d1716236bafd05b994b.png

I have a quick question:

I noticed the Moyse Locotracteur only has coupling on the rear (and no front coupling). Obviously, this makes sense .....as if there was one on the front, I guess they couldn't see around/beyond any rolling stock it was pushing.

For trailing spurs thats all fine....what happens with a facing spur?

In real life, did they just use a different loco for facing spurs or am I missing something really obvious here?

• RMweb Premium

Moyse locotracteurs have coupling both ends.  

If REE have shown just one it's to minimise the impact of the rather ugly European coupling.  A second can certainly be fitted:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Moving onto motive power for painting and weathering, the first to go into the shop will be:

I have a quick question:

I noticed the Moyse Locotracteur only has coupling on the rear (and no front coupling). Obviously, this makes sense .....as if there was one on the front, I guess they couldn't see around/beyond any rolling stock it was pushing.

For trailing spurs thats all fine....what happens with a facing spur?

In real life, did they just use a different loco for facing spurs or am I missing something really obvious here?

Hi 

I asked a similar question on the American section on this site. 

The general consensus is that train crews disliked running around a train during operations. Whilst on model layouts run-around loops might be short, in real life they are much longer so it all takes time. Therefore a local freight would often switch all the trailing spurs on it's outward journey and then on the return journey back to the yard, switch all the "facing spurs" that are now trailing spurs (hope that makes sense). The locomotive would have couplers at both ends.  

Regards 

Nick 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 01/02/2024 at 18:58, long island jack said:

On 01/02/2024 at 19:03, Andy Hayter said:

Moyse locotracteurs have coupling both ends.  

If REE have shown just one it's to minimise the impact of the rather ugly European coupling.  A second can certainly be fitted:

On 01/02/2024 at 19:53, stivesnick said:

Hi 

I asked a similar question on the American section on this site. 

Nick 

OK ........THIS IS EMBARRASSING.....THERE IS ANOTHER COUPLER IN THE BOX FOR THE FRONT OF THE LOCO!

DOH!

IMG_2198.jpg.f3e78e3571d4fa50af77d2566514518c.jpg

A quick photo of the layout to distract from the idiot I am .........

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

As I said in a previous post, I was unhappy with the "exit" to the staging yard and how it looked. As a reminder, here is how it use to look:

IMG_1931.jpg.465c9f59d8b3c840c435185cf9e0fa41.jpg

After considering ways to minimize the transition, this is how it looks now:

IMG_2322.jpg.646c628b66c10c6cf2c68c870810b856.jpg

I will probably add some grass around the bottom of the oil tank where it meets the concrete slabs as it looks unnatural in the photo........

IMG_2323.jpg.8b5b546685cdb8a8d3b4c57d11b12492.jpg

And maybe some more bushes at the end of the building in the background

Thanks to everyone who contributed with ideas.

PS: Having looked at the photos for a while now, I am starting to think the tall oil tank needs to be less conspicuous i.e. a dull and bland grey.....think it might be standing out too much right now........

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

A tank like that would need to be bunded.  Essentially a low wall around it so that in the event of a leak, the contents would not just flow everywhere.

Otherwise, I love that as a screen for the exit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

A tank like that would need to be bunded.  Essentially a low wall around it so that in the event of a leak, the contents would not just flow everywhere.

Otherwise, I love that as a screen for the exit.

19 hours ago, stivesnick said:

In addition to a bund, there would also be some pipes and possibly pumps. Various 3D suppliers produce these.

Nick 

I do listen ......

Your feedback : added the low wall around the tank and some pipe detail (there is not really room for anymore)

My feedback : added bushes in far background and repainted the tank to a more "anonymous" colour i.e. no longer standing out.

IMG_2328.jpg.8db59846484508d9bf22e998377a7bbd.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg.0846447c35189f7656fbd363e1e54fec.jpg

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2024 at 18:10, Lineas Cubanas said:

My "Homer Simpson" calamity approach to the Moyse locotracteur continues.....

When removing the cab and hood for painting, it was proving quite stiff and required a bit more force ..... before I knew it I had accidentally disconnected some wires to the power pack which was actually hidden in the back hood.......who knew!?

After several attempts to re solder the wires in the correct order and eventually just melting the connection, followed by smoke.......

I now have a technical question: Do I need the power pack to run the loco?

The DCC/Sound motherboard etc are working fine

According to REE models: "The power pack does not directly power your machine, it manages the power supply weaknesses of the tracks"

Do I need to replace the power pack with the exact one from REE Models or would the DCC loco work without it?

Thanks

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

Sounds like the power pack is what's commonly referred to as a "stay alive" which is basically a capacitor which will keep the loco running for a few seconds when power supply is interrupted. it can be replaced by other makes or can we dispensed with if you have live frog points and evenly laid track work.

I would try it without first and see if it is necessary to replace in your case.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Superb! Have you any plans to exhibit it?

We very much hope it will be at Larkrail this year - July 13th. 

Details of this years Larkrail International Festival of railways and byways will be announced in the next couple of weeks!

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you Matt for letting me see this fantastic piece of work this morning, ahead of its appearance at Larkrail on the 13th July.

I won't steal Matt's thunder, and I am no photographer, but here is a snap that hopefully gives some idea of just how very good this model is.

New-1(156).jpg.dc6c957af1864274c23f27d8e8a5d0ac.jpg

Just this layout alone is reason enough to visit Larkrail on the 13th - I am really looking forward to seeing it all set up. Matt is working on various "audio visual" touches that will truly bring it to life.

Just an astonishingly good creation, real jaw dropping stuff....

Simon

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1