Modern day ‘goods shed’

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking of putting a small goods shed on my layout, which will be set in the summer of 2019, and I was wondering if, however unlikely, are there any still about?

I appreciate that any pre nationalisation buildings will have long since closed, abandoned, sold off or demolished, but are there any modern prefabricated buildings which could be classed as a ‘goods shed’ possibly housing 3-4 long wheelbase wagons, be still in use?

Any sensible answers would be most appreciated 

• RMweb Gold

I’m struggling to think of anywhere where such flows would happen In this day and age, it’s all block trains now, the closest I can think of is MOD traffic in VGA vans but those end up being unloaded behind closed gates 

the only other thing I can think of is Something like the plasmor brick train, 4 wheel OCA type wagons that you could run into a warehouse/shed for loading, I think the real thing is loaded outdoors but you could use modellers licence 

• Like 1

Not still open but you had a few such places in the Trainload / Speedlink ERA:

Law Junction

PD Stirling Mossend

ISIS Salford 

Warrington Dallam

there is the new Highland Spring loading point at Blackford

You do get van traffic into places like DIRFT at Daventry but not short rakes.

Aggregates & recycled stone seem to have taken over many of these locations these days and with a mix of wagon types and train lengths in use 

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

You do get van traffic into places like DIRFT at Daventry but not short rakes.

funnily enough I put the same in my original draft of my post too, cargowaggons carrying iirc water that were off loaded in one of the warehouses on site 

Covered steel wagons still serve 'sheds', due to the need to keep the product covered from the weather. Preymesser at Swindon is one such example, and there are a load of photos inside at Swindon on Flickr for details.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There are probably a few old goods sheds around fenced-off from the operational area and leased (or, more likely perhaps, sold) to a private business for the purpose of carrying on their trade (which has no railway links).

• Agree 2

Such an animal exists on the Uskmouth branch in Newport. 

The line that runs  to the now dormant Uskmouth P.S. simply runs through the shed .

Alongside the line is the lorry Bay. 

Trains loaded with steel coils from either Llanwern or Port Talbot run into the shed where a gantry crane transfers the coil onto a lorry.

The lorry travels about 100 yards to the quayside to then be transferred to a ship.

Normal traction is class 66 top and tailed but , they did have a well type wagon with a converted shipping container with a verandah for the guard / lookout which a single '66 would propel .

You might be able to see pics of it on Flickr 

HTH

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I certainly can't think of any examples, but might there be one or two former goods sheds retained for wagon maintenance ??!?

March for example, a GBRf wagon maintenance facility 

• RMweb Premium

There's something near to me that could be a good base for inspiration.

The Tonbridge Sorting Centre siding was built for the adjoining Royal Mail depot. While it was built for TPOs, you could extend the prefab building (by the signal) over the platform & cover it. That way it would look like a modern goods shed attached to the large building behind.

Perfect for a handful of VGAs or short rake of Cargowaggons.

Tonbridge_Sorting_Centre_09_2009.jpg.b7fb99a979ef1d47cc32be050c61f247.jpg

Edited by Rich_F
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/10/2023 at 09:04, black and decker boy said:

there is the new Highland Spring loading point at Blackford

Highland Spring at Blackford is a containter terminal. Shipping containers are loaded and unloaded from trains by an large crane, there is no covered accommodation at all.