Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

easy light baseboards idea

hi all -

still hunting for a decent baseboard for my shunting layout - ive found the frame however it doesn't come with a top - no problem really as a sheet of mdf would do

however ive a cunning idea due to that fact there wont be too much weight to the layout im thinking of being able to get away with mounting board - its cheaper and fairly sturdy and possibly when its glued down well with a layer of cork on top it will be quite a solid board - any thoughts?

many thanks guys

If you want really light, then 6mm thick foamcore board is something I mean to try out someday. If it needs local stiffening to augment the frame, then a two inch deep stringer, PVA glued to the underside, will do the job. I have tried this for a half metre span, and it happily supports the heaviest 4mm RTR locos at mid span with insignificant deflection. A sheet glued onto a reasonably stiff frame will work like a drumskin, and probably be quite adequate for 'won't be too much weight'. Just a thought, not tried it out in earnest.

hi all -

still hunting for a decent baseboard for my shunting layout - ive found the frame however it doesn't come with a top - no problem really as a sheet of mdf would do

however ive a cunning idea due to that fact there wont be too much weight to the layout im thinking of being able to get away with mounting board - its cheaper and fairly sturdy and possibly when its glued down well with a layer of cork on top it will be quite a solid board - any thoughts?

many thanks guys

Hiya, I understand trying to keep it lightweight but I would recommend, if possible, try and stick to 9mm plywood. That seems to be the tried and tested way from what I have seen and as such, used that on my layout.

Sundeala also seems to get a good write up by modellers for being lightweight and recommended by manufacturers.

Personally I have a dislike to MDF and I agree with Coombe Barton that the mounting board would warp and absorb moisture. Also the ones I just looked up on the internet don't look as if they would be strong enough to support a layout even with cork on it but hey what do I know I'm just starting after 20 years out of modelling!!

Also would your layout have motorised points under the board, if so that is another thing to consider.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

thanks guys good ideas - i like the foam board idea found some cheap on eBay can easily be shaped with a knife or even plastic glue - am going to be trialing the track Ive got over some cork and a redundant board to see if it works tomorrow and then make a decision from there although foam core is top of the list at the moment

Archived