The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Define "Serious Modeller".....

F-UnitMad

On 14/10/2023 at 22:29, F-UnitMad said:

As per the Title. Define "Serious Modeller".

I'm gonna pass......

20231014_141039.jpg.e42e42102224ab69af0e36bca318a4f4.jpg

🥳🥳🥳🤣🤣🤪🤪😁

I first looked at the figures, the digger, the hardstanding, and the fence, and I was impressed by the realism. And then my eye drifted.... :-)

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

That they probably aren't serious modellers!

I remember watching some "judges" at a US trolley (tram) model meet; one had a magnifying glass! And was using it!!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Serious modellers build layouts where everything is as it should be. All stock is correct for location and era; anything else is not allowed. All stock is weathered; nothing straight out of the box (unless factory weathered). The track plan is realistic and includes such things as trap points where required. All signals work of course and trains are strictly not allowed past a signal at danger. The land formation is both believable and dramatically portrays the area of the country being modelled. The layout created is a three dimensional work of fine art that includes movement. Non serious modellers build train sets.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Serious modellers build layouts where everything is as it should be. All stock is correct for location and era; anything else is not allowed. All stock is weathered; nothing straight out of the box (unless factory weathered).  ...snip...

Not always necessary, this motor that I shot on a Saturday turned out to have left the paintshop the Tuesday before:

GreenvilleWesternPelzerSC.jpg.0e05c4f46e3997ac397cb076d431b163.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Chris M said:

Serious modellers build layouts where everything is as it should be. All stock is correct for location and era; anything else is not allowed. All stock is weathered; nothing straight out of the box (unless factory weathered). The track plan is realistic and includes such things as trap points where required. All signals work of course and trains are strictly not allowed past a signal at danger. The land formation is both believable and dramatically portrays the area of the country being modelled. The layout created is a three dimensional work of fine art that includes movement. Non serious modellers build train sets.

So, as the author of one of my favourite YouTube clips, which are you, Chris..?

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

36 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

So, as the author of one of my favourite YouTube clips, which are you, Chris..?

I have different rules for different railways. It has to be said that my garden railway sometimes mixes stock from different continents. So long as the sun is shining it really doesn't matter; that is the essence of a garden railway for me. To illustrate this here is Folly Halt, with very typical US far West buildings with my PPM 50. I am trying to emulate Stourbridge Junction when the students are on their way home.

stourbridge.jpg.0958942665c65643c3ccf7bb04057b8c.jpg

On the other hand I just will not run any loco class that hasn't run through the real Dawlish Warren on my Dawlish Warren layout. I'm very strict about this. Some may find that strange but its a restriction I enjoy having.  Despite what I do on my garden railway I really do enjoy the challenging of making a model of a real place and running it as correctly as possible.

I strongly believe everyone should do what they want and not be pushed one way or another by others. Its good to be inspired by others but not good to feel pressure to run your railway in a certain way just because others have told you to.  I think I would describe myself as a serious modeller but only when I want to be.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As part of what I call my “serious” modelling I love to find out about odd workings through Dawlish Warren and emulate them.

Here are two examples.

The GBRf twin 50s took 3 off lease Caledonian sleeper coaches down to Plymouth for evaluation by GWR and the following day took one back. Who would have thought I could run Caledonian sleeper coaches through Dawlish Warren.

IMG_3398.jpeg.dd22e98d6d8b51ff5616885edb763144.jpeg

On 15th September 1963 Bristol sent a Jubilee down to Newton Abbot on a freight working.  Again, who would have thought it? The Jubilee is borrowed. It has been used once and will go straight back to its owner. It will never be allowed through Dawlish Warren again because the real event only happened once.
IMG_3523.jpeg.4884f5bbff371f8af4ea20ff73010223.jpeg

It could be argued that “one offs”

like these are untypical and so not serious modelling. Alternatively it could be said that such investigations are a mark of a serious modeller. I don’t really care whether it is classed as serious modelling or not - I just enjoy it.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Chris M said:

It could be argued that “one offs” like these are untypical and so not serious modelling. Alternatively it could be said that such investigations are a mark of a serious modeller. I don’t really care whether it is classed as serious modelling or not - I just enjoy it.

But those "one off" workings took some serious research to find out about! 👍

"Just enjoy it" - absolutely, it's a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be enjoyed!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Chris M said:

Serious modellers build layouts where everything is as it should be.

Lulworth Castle OO

Phew I’m serious 

Lulworth Castle OO

Close one but I think I got away with it as in the fiddleyard . . 

15 hours ago, Chris M said:

Non serious modellers build train sets.

Thomas and friends at Lulworth Castle

Doh!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
On 19/10/2023 at 04:27, PeterStiles said:

Mais, non, mademoiselle Marple; this man was obviously POISONED!

DSC_0680~2.JPG

Going by the number of times that Miss Marple had to correctly identify the murderer, rather than the first guess by the 'real' detective, nothing surprises.

Father Brown, is just the same!

• RMweb Premium

I like layouts that are treated seriously, but it's no good if you can't have the occasional laugh IMO. Ones that aren't taken seriously at all, well, not my cup of tea but it's a hobby so as someone else has already said if its builder gets pleasure from it then they've built it exactly as they should've done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1