GWR 3 plank wagons appreciation thread

5 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Thanks - and sorry for not noticing earlier. Hopefully @Coach bogie can post a response there!

To me it is an E39 'Falmouth coupe'. It has the correct 6 compartments, though there is a window missing from the guards compartment, though many unrecorded alterations happened. The GWR had several different diagrams of this type of coach.(E45, E48, E72, E75) They were the through coach of choice and went all over the country.

Some of the E39 types were converted to slip coaches but the Lime Street image is before conversion to slip diagram F6. It would have end gong, pipework and long vac tanks to the roof to be slip. There was a complex corridor arrangement to allow the three classes access to a toilet but not each other. The idea was a self contained coach, without corridor connections to separate from the rest of the train. This idea lost favour, into the 1920's , with the abolition of second class and the need for more than one coach on some journeys as demand increased due to the 'working class' had better conditions and longer paid holidays. The 1925 corridor stock made these coaches redundant. There are many Eric Treacy images of LMS pacifics hauling GWR brake composites out of Liverpool which had became the new cross country coach of choice.

Mike Wiltshire

Falmouthcoupeplan_hi_res_1a.jpg.e4c928668a5b624f3b75e2e93bc9598d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Very nice indeed. Could you post a list of all the extra bits and bobs you needed alongside the etch and where they came from please?

Bogies are Mallard/Blacksmith from stock (soon to be available again from Mark Seaward), though Dart castings can supply their version(2428 &2556), Dean Vac cylinder set (3909) gas tops (2945) all from Dart castings. Gas cylinders from stock though Dart can supply (3007)  or from Wizard (MT340) who supplied the buffers (MT378). Wheels and bearings from Alan Gibson + Bachmann couplings. Gas piping from slaters microstrip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Why is this topic which is labelled drifted to discussing GWR coaches?

Would those involved please either start a new thread or change the name of this thread.

Gordon A

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

Would those involved please either start a new thread

Has been done...

Best cure is to post something OT. He's my progress with @drduncan's kit:

GW3-plankopenDR3Donitswheels.JPG.36d0b3bacf5aaa56ae5e3a3b420f19d1.JPG

I stopped to think about brakes then got distracted onto something else...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Which one is that please, Stephen?

Quiite a lightfooted look, but presumably that's the angle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Which one is that please, Stephen?

4GWR-007 3 plank wagon with round ends and iron u/f - so the penultimate version.

22 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Quiite a lightfooted look, but presumably that's the angle.

I think that's chiefly because it's translucent and has no below solebar clutter - i.e. brakes - but also it may be riding a whisker high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first batches I printed were with Siraya Fast Smokey black resin which when cured was a lot less Smokey than I had wanted - more very light atmospheric pollution rather than a diesel fed fire belching black plumes into the air.

Duncan

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, drduncan said:

The first batches I printed were with Siraya Fast Smokey black resin which when cured was a lot less Smokey than I had wanted - more very light atmospheric pollution rather than a diesel fed fire belching black plumes into the air.

Duncan

I had the same issue, made it impossible to see any details until primer was applied.

• Agree 1

On 22/04/2024 at 04:30, Coach bogie said:

I needed a break from building 70 footers. As one of the etches was out I decided to build it.

Mike Wiltshire

20240422_132557.jpg.0e2224fa71886439ab498326eede27b5.jpg

Mike, looks impressive.  so how long does it take you to build such a carriage? - I have a few Worsley Works carriages in my stash too.

Peter

Chaps,

While the quality of coach modelling and information being shared is exemplary, and I would not wish it to stop, can everyone bear in mind this thread is about GWR 3 plank wagons.

May I suggest that all posts about brake composites and tricomposite are moved by their authors onto the thread which was established specifically for such discussion as signposted previously here by @Compound2632.

This will help ensure that such excellent models and information can be more readily found by those wishing to follow in the footsteps of those who have blazed such an inspiring trail.

Thread drift is illuminating and entertaining but like all things is best in moderation!

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A round-ended "backgrounder" here, number not quite readable, is it 3xx47? 

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/Churchward-Locomotives/Churchward-Tender-Locomotives/Churchward-County-class-440/Churchward-2221-County-Tank/i-SDLhxMs

I won't mention the foreground as that will only lead us astray 🙂 But the wider album (of which this is a sub-sub- album) is of general interest I would think.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/Churchward-Locomotives/Churchward-Tender-Locomotives/Churchward-County-class-440/Churchward-2221-County-Tank/i-SDLhxMs

I won't mention the foreground as that will only lead us astray 🙂 But the wider album (of which this is a sub-sub- album) is of general interest I would think.

A round ender in post 1904 livery too. Important as many round ended wagons lost their round ends, probably after 1900, but the modifications were not recorded in the Wagon Stock Books. If anyone can decipher the whole number do say!

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

I won't mention the foreground as that will only lead us astray 🙂 

Except to remark on that one really shouldn't put H0 rolling stock behind an 00 locomotive.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

The second digit looks rounded top and bottom - 0, 3, 6, 8, or 9 - and the third flat-topped but round-bottomed - 5?

Neither 33xxx or 38xxx are 3-plank series, the former being mostly loco coal wagons and the latter cattle wagons. 36547 was from os Lot 294 and 39547 os Lot 323, but both these were built square-ended. That would leave 30547 of os Lot 188 but that lot ought to have wood end pillars rather than iron stanchions, surely?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

52 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The second digit looks rounded top and bottom - 0, 3, 6, 8, or 9 - and the third flat-topped but round-bottomed - 5?

Second digit and iron frames: That narrows it down to lots 209, 210, 257.

Third digit as a 5: The only lot possible with round ends is 211 (31491-600) but they had fitched underframes…

Duncan

Thinking about fitched under frames and whether they had square or angle iron stanchions…

Here is a lot 231 round ended example, but converted to a square end.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrms1211.htm
You can see it had angle stanchions rather than the expected square wooden ones. I therefore wonder whether as part of the rebuilding of all rounded variants they got angle stanchions. Any thoughts?

Duncan

• Like 1

A round ended wagon next to the goods shed at Taplow in an extract from a photo of Taplow Station shown in the Broad Gauge Society journal 'Broadsheet' No.52 (Autumn 2004). 

The photo may have been taken on the opening day, 1st September 1872, since the staff are all posing 'on parade'. It's definitely taken before 1884, when the line was quadrupled

TaplowGoodsShed1872.jpg.e3dd83b6956b38324b994f2cd9b49733.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

The photo may have been taken on the opening day, 1st September 1872, since the staff are all posing 'on parade'. It's definitely taken before 1884, when the line was quadrupled

Surely not before 1879, when round-ended 3-plank wagons first saw the light of day, as we are given to understand. Not very clear but I'd say wooden end pillars. 

The covered goods wagon behind it doesn't have the style of end framing of the pre-iron mink wood minks; it looks more like a Midland wagon. But could be some other early type. 

30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Surely not before 1879, when round-ended 3-plank wagons first saw the light of day, as we are given to understand. Not very clear but I'd say wooden end pillars.

I didn't check any stock lists so this may well set a later date for the photo.

I noticed that the wagons look very pale, when compared with the van.  If they were red, then I'd have expected the photo emulsion of the time to have rendered them darker.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

If they were red, then I'd have expected the photo emulsion of the time to have rendered them darker.

Yes but there's surface texture, dirt, ....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/04/2024 at 17:36, MikeOxon said:

The photo may have been taken on the opening day, 1st September 1872, since the staff are all posing 'on parade'. 

They often are in photos from the period, regardless of the day. I think if it was an opening day shot the broom would have been put away - not proper! 🙂

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Two 3-plankers here, square bloke underway and rounded type having a breather. Numbers not legible, and no date or location. Dean Goods carries 1903-18 J headcode and, I think, a garter.

3-plankers1903to1918.jpg.d256d25d7d41257b4b91968e25c89c6f.jpg

And here is 3- planker No. 36365 employed as runner. Caption says Crocodile Es No. 41948 and 41949 being moved from Horsehay to Hansbridge, 1909.

3plankerandgirders1909.jpg.3c3146ad1b118822a9aa2da987cd6b0b.jpg

(Images are larger if right-clicked and opened in new tab or downloaded)

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mikkel,

Great images.

The 3 plank behind the Dean Goods look odd to me. It looks like it’s got drop sides (no corner plates) and it has very substantial door bangers on the solebar - something that is absent from the ‘normal’ square or round ended wagon. I wish the number of the round ended wagon in the same image was clear enough to read!

Duncan

• Like 1