Bachmann 3MT & suitable DCC sound

Grande Maurice

I'm about to purchase a Bachmann 3MT 2-6-2 tank engine - the more recent version that's 8-pin DCC Ready (Bachmann 31-976 Standard Class 3MT 82005 Late Crest). I was wondering if anyone had experience of this model & if it runs well at slower speeds, as i read one review say (whilst the model looked lovely) the running gear was outdated & performed poorly.

I'm also after suggestions of other classes of locos that share a similar sound to the 3MT. If possible i'd prefer to find a £40-55 Hornby TTS sound decoder, than £110+ on a premium brand like Coastal DCC or YouChoos. There's a cost-of-living crisis don't you know !

All suggestions welcome...

On 19/10/2023 at 00:01, Grande Maurice said:

I'm about to purchase a Bachmann 3MT 2-6-2 tank engine - the more recent version that's 8-pin DCC Ready (Bachmann 31-976 Standard Class 3MT 82005 Late Crest). I was wondering if anyone had experience of this model & if it runs well at slower speeds, as i read one review say (whilst the model looked lovely) the running gear was outdated & performed poorly.

I'm also after suggestions of other classes of locos that share a similar sound to the 3MT. If possible i'd prefer to find a £40-55 Hornby TTS sound decoder, than £110+ on a premium brand like Coastal DCC or YouChoos. There's a cost-of-living crisis don't you know !

All suggestions welcome...

The TTS I find to be too big for these locos especially you will need a sugar cube type speaker which I am not sure are compatible with TTS chips.

However I am trying to install a TXS decoder with sugar cube into the smoke box. Physically it fits fine, but I've not been able to get the dam thing to be detected by the app (2nd chip I've tried). 

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Appreciate the significant cost difference but would seriously consider getting a small Zimo chip to fit. YouChoos website has a lot of model specific fitting guides and I find them very helpful for additional support should you need it. You get more for your circa £120 than just the hardware and it is worth the investment. Most other DCC sound suppliers I am sure will be equally happy to provide additional support but I have good experience of Youchoose

• Agree 2