Revolution Class 66 in N

AY Mod

is there any plan to produce 66001 in as delivered state with the red grills and whatever else the differences were?

or is a retailer commission on the cards for this?

also any news on when ews 66/0 bespoke will be available to order?  

cheers

tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 22/11/2023 at 23:21, jpendle said:

I'm all in on this one, I've only got 18 in my roster so I'm sure I could justify 18 more!

BUT, the big issue for me is that these models will use the ESU E24 format, which, as far as I can tell is still not a standard format. The only option for non-sound is the ESU 59925 Lokpilot Nano which is about £38.

I'm quite happy with my other Revolution sound fitted models with ESU decoders ( and my Farish ones for that matter) as someone else has done the hard work programming the lights, etc.

I'd much rather use a non-sound Zimo decoder as, IMO, their CV programming is much easier.

And finally, even though I'm happy with my sound fitted Pendolinos, I have observed, admittedly without any scientific tests, that my new Pendolinos, with Zimo Next 18 decoders, run smoother and quieter than my original 4 ESU sound fitted ones. (Anyone suggesting that I turn the sound off to make them quieter gets a slap🙂)

Regards,

John P

John

In addition to my colleague Ben’s reply, a non sound Zimo Next 18 decoder is £35 now, so there’s very little price difference between the two decoders. As a predominant Zimo user myself, and offering an unbiased opinion (putting my work hat to one side), the V5 Nano works very well and is easily compatible to the older Zimo decoders.

From personal experience, the latest incarnation of the Zimo decoder doesn’t seem as stable as the older versions which is very odd. Anyway, I digress. I’m fairly sure it won’t be too long for other manufacturers to follow the E24 route - Zimo already have a prototype and I believe this will be available later on this year. 

Cheers

Mike B

Edited by Revolution Mike B

Afternoon all,

I was looking to get a 'bespoke' 66 in EWS livery, but on the Revolution site the EWS livery doesn't appear to be available for bespoke ordering.   DB yes, but original EWS no.

Have I missed the boat on that option?  Or was it never available for EWS?

Thanks,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

The sheer number and longevity of the 66s in original EWS format has made processing the myriad options for this version a Herculanean task.  It is being done, and as quickly as possible.

As soon as the EWS Bespoke variants are all available to be pre-ordered we will let people know.  The caveat is that the ordering window will, inevitably, be short.

You haven't missed it, but please keep an eye on our website and socials.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just to be clear, 66302 in rebranded GBRf is available to pre-order via Revolution Bespoke - Rails have just used the image from our website.   It isn't a limited edition for anyone.

cheers

Ben A.

• Informative/Useful 1

I see the pre order deadline for these is today. Will we be able to pre order from other retailers like Rails after this deadline for a period? I noticed with the 59s they were still available after the deadline. Sorry if this is a silly question. Just a bit cash strapped this month! ;)

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jackrob said:

I see the pre order deadline for these is today. Will we be able to pre order from other retailers like Rails after this deadline for a period? I noticed with the 59s they were still available after the deadline. Sorry if this is a silly question. Just a bit cash strapped this month! ;)

Hi there,

The 66 is a little different to our other projects, in that it wasn't pre-order funded.  You can order any of the standard Revolution releases from retailers.

The only models exclusively available from Revolution are the Bespoke versions, where you can specify a different running number to suit your own needs.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben @Revolution Ben - just to be crystal clear about this; the EWS bespoke (which only became available to order on the website this afternoon) still has the same order deadline (ie. end of day today) as all other 66 liveries….???!

…. cue mad scramble on Flickr for research and purchasing frenzy on Revolution website…. 🤣 !!!

Glad I did my Flickr research months ago and already have my shortlist…. looks like this evening will be spent refining and tweaking before submitting my final list….

I just bought two more bespoke Freightliner 66s this afternoon…. think the EWS bespoke will have to be a 50% deposit, else you’ll bankrupt me…. 😝 😂 !!!

cheers, Jake

• RMweb Gold

As today’s newsletter says, for practical reasons our order book will be open for a few days (we rarely close it straight on the deadline) so at least until Wednesday. We will be asking retailers to give us final numbers by Friday. 

cheers Mike

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Revolution Mike said:

As today’s newsletter says, for practical reasons our order book will be open for a few days (we rarely close it straight on the deadline) so at least until Wednesday. We will be asking retailers to give us final numbers by Friday. 

cheers Mike

Thanks Mike!

…. clarification must appreciated - at least with a couple more days to spare for research, the wife won’t b completely ignored this evening…. 😂 !

So many bespoke ones to choose from!

I have to admit when I was looking at them online last week, I think I realised I had got the wrong idea... I thought it was just a renumber in regular liveries, though I am happy to admit that I may not have read the adverts thoroughly enough or looked online earlier, despite seeing the link earlier, so my own fault!

I was however pleased to see some irregular livery variances in the choices, but was hoping to place an order for one or two... but may delay that until tomorrow if the books are likely to be held open a day or two more, like you suggest Mike.

I keep forgetting which Farish/Dapol 66's I already have though, so am checking a.q.a.p. to avoid possible duplications.

But I would like to see some EWS originals though... but will happily wait for that... but put in my bid for a 66001!

All good stuff.

• Agree 1

hi

which were the first 66/0 locos to have swing buckeye couplings retro fitted and what date was this?

or is the buckeye coupling a separate detail part that the user can choose whether to fit or not?  in which case it doesn't really matter...

just trying to choose a suitable ews loco number...  

cheers

tim

• RMweb Premium

With the official deadline passed and the order book to close imminently, to save people time and in case this is useful to anyone still wanting to order some bespoke EWS 66s, the following are some locos that remain in full EWS livery in 2024….

66151 (shabby roof)

66160 (shabby patch on roof / upper body side)

66161 (battered bodywork)

De-branded EWS with small DB logos [front & sides] and original headlights; selection is based on longevity in this livery/branding permutation….

66002 - 2014 (Sep) - 2024>

66023 - 2015 (Nov) - 2023 (Jun)

66053 - 2014 (Aug) - 2024> [note: horn grilles are black, rather than standard maroon from 2023]

66080 - 2014 (Oct) - 2024>

66088 - 2014 (Sep) - 2022 (Dec) [very shabby roof from mid-2000s] 

To be clear, my research was not exhaustive (although it was exhausting 😝 !) and I discarded several potential loco numbers on the basis of minor livery variations or general shabbiness….

…. but I’ve put my money where my mouth is, cos I’ve ordered from these two lists myself, albeit not all of them…. 🤣 !!!

I would recommend anyone wanting to use any of these loco numbers performs a cursory search of Flickr for themselves to ensure the individual loco suits their modelling requirements…. for example, some of them seem to have been fairly geographically restricted for extended periods of time to such areas as Cornwall / West Country or South Wales…. which doesn’t bother me, but would some people….

Anyway, I hope this will help save others some time trawling the internet for validation of particular loco numbers!!!

• Like 2

thanks jr_p

any ideas which were the first to get the swing buckeye couplings retrofitted?

I think it was about 2001 - but later build 66s (66200 and on?) came with the coupling. something like that.

anyway all tiny details in n gauge but just trying to choose a number!

I will be buying as delivered 66001 or 66004 if they make them. 66004 was the first production loco to haul a regular train so I read.

cheers

tim

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, bluedepot said:

thanks jr_p

any ideas which were the first to get the swing buckeye couplings retrofitted?

I think it was about 2001 - but later build 66s (66200 and on?) came with the coupling. something like that.

anyway all tiny details in n gauge but just trying to choose a number!

I will be buying as delivered 66001 or 66004 if they make them. 66004 was the first production loco to haul a regular train so I read.

cheers

tim

Flickr is your friend - get the app; it makes research very quick and easy…. 😉 !

Curiously, it appears that 66001 never had a buckeye fitted, ever…. this was something of a revelation to me because I thought the whole fleet had buckeye as standard, but apparently not…. every day is a learning day 😆 !!!

Photo evidence suggests that 66004 gained its buckeye in 2003….

However, I do know the wing mirrors were a later addition - seems to be a fairly universally applied update in 2005…. again, that detail feature of the model as offered won’t be appropriate to a brand new, as-built 66/0 if that is what you’re after…. I imagine the buckeye might be an easy-to-remove detail, but I’d be much more nervous about yanking off the wing mirrors…. 😬

1 hour ago, JR_P said:

Curiously, it appears that 66001 never had a buckeye fitted, ever…. this was something of a revelation to me because I thought the whole fleet had buckeye as standard, but apparently not…. every day is a learning day 😆 !!!

66001 and 66002 can't be fitted with buckeyes due to differences in the drag box area. If you look, these two look a lot more like a 59 in the bufferbeam area

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

i will maybe cancel my order and wait for some other options i think.

don't really want to start messing around with the coupling or wing mirrors if these are not supposed to be user fitted separate parts because i might cause damage.

I would like some 1998 - 2001 suitable models really - one ews and one  freightliner. 

cheers

tim

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bluedepot said:

i will maybe cancel my order and wait for some other options i think.

don't really want to start messing around with the coupling or wing mirrors if these are not supposed to be user fitted separate parts because i might cause damage.

I would like some 1998 - 2001 suitable models really - one ews and one  freightliner. 

cheers

tim

The Freightliner variant will be suitable 

Cheers Mike B

• Like 1

Morning all

Hoping some of you 66 experts can advise if I've got my research and option choices right before placing an order

Looking at 66111 in it's most recent guise. I think the base EWS 66 is appropriate re lights etc and also that the stags can be added as they're an option in the DB livery bespoke. Beyond that debranded with DB stickers on front and sides seems to match what I'm seeing in photos

Greatful if anyone could confirm or set me straight before I shell out for the sound version

Rob

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Suffolk Rob said:

Morning all

Hoping some of you 66 experts can advise if I've got my research and option choices right before placing an order

Looking at 66111 in it's most recent guise. I think the base EWS 66 is appropriate re lights etc and also that the stags can be added as they're an option in the DB livery bespoke. Beyond that debranded with DB stickers on front and sides seems to match what I'm seeing in photos

Greatful if anyone could confirm or set me straight before I shell out for the sound version

Rob

66111 in its present day livery isn’t possible from the EWS 66 that we are presently offering due to the headlights as they’ve been replaced with the new BMAC revised version. You can replicate it in its 2018 / early 2019 version by ordering debranded with DB logos on front and side.

Cheers

Mike B

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...