RMweb

Name for imaginary west of Scotland town.

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to fix a name for my layout. It's an imaginary fishing port on the west coast of Scotland that also serves local Islands by train ferry. Sort of a cross between Oban and Mallaig, with a dash of Fort William. It has a narrow gauge railway which joins the West Highland Line. Names I'm considering

• Port Kirkbrae (meaning church on a hill)
  • Loch Drumbrech (sort of means hill hill)
  • Port or Loch Dunard (Fort on a hill)
  • Port or Loch Dunnabreck (Fort on a hill)

I'm leaning towards Port (or maybe Loch) Dunnabreck, but would value opinions of others. 

Name it after your wife or girlfriend, with a Loch or Glen prefix.  They have Loch Katrine and the like up the there.   That should earn a few brownie points.  The obvious funny ones like Duff Town have been done   Kyle of Minogue is a possibility.   Personally after much deliberation I settled on Ugleigh for my (G)WR BLT , and Innamess and Goat of Barton for my 1988 era Scottish layout.  That shoes how seriously I take naming stations.   And locos.  My 37s were names after Glens. Glen Campbell, Glen Miller and Glen y's Kinnock.  Sadly the paper nameplates disintegrated.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Auchentogle.  It already exists in Scottish folklore, with perhaps Scotland's best known family residing at 10 Glebe Street.  Their friend Wullie lives nearbvy in Auchenshoogle.

1 hour ago, Torper said:

Auchentogle.  It already exists in Scottish folklore, with perhaps Scotland's best known family residing at 10 Glebe Street.  Their friend Wullie lives nearbvy in Auchenshoogle.

Auchenshoogle is obviously from the real Auchenshuggle, so how about a small change in Auchentogle to give Auchenbogle - “field of the scarecrow”?

• Like 1

A few options for inventing names.

Pick an obscure Scottish saint and add Kil- or Kirk- in front of the name, e.g. Kilmachan (Cill Machan) is church of (Saint) Machan.

Pick a Middle Gaelic name of Norse origin or a random thing that might be seen in a field and add Achna- or Achin- in front, e.g. Achnagorry (Achadh na Gofhraidh) is field belonging to Gofraid/Godfrid/Godfrey and Achnashellach (Achadh nan Seileach) is field of willow trees.

For the word Drumbrech a possible variation is Drumeach (Druim an Fhithich) which roughly means raven hill/ridge. Fhithich is pronounced "eeich" and imitates the call of a raven.

Another fertile ground for fictional place names in that part of Scotland is the original Monarch of the Glen novel. While many of them were made up to sound amusing for an English audience (e.g. Drumstickit and Strathdiddle) there are some with reasonable translations. For example Strathdun (valley fort?) and Loch na Craosnach ("loch of the spear"). However I don't think Glenbogle actually translates as bogle/bogill is a Scots word of Germanic origin (bögge which became bogey and böggelmann became bogeyman). If you mix Gaelic and Scots it could sort of translate as valley of the bogeyman/goblin.

Edited by DavidB-AU
Slightly expanded examples
  • Like 1

Why call it something logical, why not Welsh like Aberdeen?
Back before the M4 and M5, Black and White Motorways (Buses) had a hub at Cheltenham near where North south A38 and East West A40 roads crossed.  One busy Summer Saturday  Bert Lawrence was working and a passenger asked him which bus for Aberdeen.    Aber, sounds welsh   Dean sounds Forest of Dean, next to Wales , and he was busy so he sent them towards the South Wales bus.   Half an hour later after the Grand Depart at 2 pm  he realised what he had done

11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Newport?

That's what Father in Law called his terminus, Newport    I added the suffix (Dorset)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2023 at 17:27, nightstar.train said:

I'm leaning towards Port (or maybe Loch) Dunnabreck, but would value opinions of others.

I often find made-up names sound just exactly that, in other words fake. My approach to finding suitable layout names is to take a large scale map of the area and look for some tiny, obscure place, with a name that is not generally known, but which is suggestive of the region and easy to pronounce.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Apollo, do you mean Tannochbrae?  Tunnochbrae translates as the Hill Where They Make Tea Cakes.

As no-one ever questioned Tannochbrae's authenticity, you could try variations on a theme:-

Glentannoch   -  Valley of the Tannoch 

Invertannoch  -  Mouth of the River Tannoch

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3