OO scale Bagnall 0-6-0 diesel shunting loco by James Hilton

Covkid

Having collected my model from James Hilton last Friday I can contain myself no more and want to twll you all about it. I desired (useful word) a model of the Bagnall 0-6-0 diesel shunting loco as delivered to a small handful of companies in the late 1950s.  The principal purchaser was the National Coal Board Western area which although small in number, dieselised some colliery operations, notably the Hollybank colliery operation which I am interested in. 

The Bagnall design would probably be described these days as a "Drewry knock off" using the same nine foot wheelbase 0-6-0 chassis with jackshaft drive from the gearbox under the cab floor. Power originally was from a 5 cylinder National diesel engine rated at 208hp.  A slightly longer design using a ten foot wheelbase chassis enabled a 7 cylinder National power unit to be incorporated but only a pair were bought by the NCB Western Area. 

So comparing information I had gathered I figured that Bachmann "Drewry" chassis would be a good starting point, and I also gathered a couple of Airfix "Drewry" body kits with a view to kitbashing a new body.  After mulling the project over, I contacted James and asked if he might consider taking a commission of the Bagnall loco, incorporating the Bachmann chassis, and thankfully James agreed.  We agreed a price based on the fact that the subsequent development of my model would form a one-off run of kits for Planet Industrials. 

I supplied James with as much information as I could, and I am indebted to Allan C Baker for his help, through his books and the Industrial Railways Society "County" books. James used the data in the drawing of the longer Baganall Locomotive superimposed on the Bachmann "Drewry" chassis to produce the model.  James then developed the printed resin core of the bodyshell and an etched of doors, window frames, cab front, cab rear, footsteps, buffer beams etc.  On completion James has used his loco builder and number plates to adorn the cabsides.   

The development James has made for me produces a body kit designed to go on the new design Bachmann 03 chassis, and this covers most of the NCB Western area locos, which were triple windscreen cabs on the 9 foot chassis. A handful of "newer" locos had a two piece windscreen arrangement and worked at places like Grain, Coryton, Tring and Sharpness.

I believe James is intending to market this kit through Planet Industrials strictly as a one-off batch run, but I am sure he will be along with further details. All I can say is thanks very much James Hilton for completing my Hollybank roster of 16" and 18" Hunslets and the YEC Janus design. I am planning further business with James and he is a very enthusiastic and skilled chap who is very much about the appearance of the model. 

You might want to check out James' weekly blog titled Paxton Road where you will see all manner of delights apart from the Bagnall diesel - which incidentally is not a "DL2" - that apparently was only applied to the Bagnall diesel which worked at Sharpness docks. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Perhaps I should mention that three examples of the Bagnall locomotive exist in preservation here in the UK - at Chasewater, at the Foxfield Railway and at the Lincolnshire Wolds railway. The latter two have the twin windscreens whereas the version James has produced as the triple screen arrangement as found on the locomotive at Chasewater

Here is a link to WB3119 preserved at Chasewater railway, but with a poorly engine

www.flickr.com/photos/124516405@N02/14516097028/in/photolist-Tj9grC-2fnH9eo-op6aei-opfaup-o7U1ut-o859ie-o7KGZW-myDGPx-opnEmZ-opmrjf-26vqKTj-o7K84F-Mr3C8W-opoaFa-o7UuFi-o7U9Ue-o7KZSp-opnxrr-ooX8fK-2p9vdiv-opaZKm-o7Lbba-o83WNq-opesXT-o7TwiE-2oJDrUC-2huqUPq-o7Tcfw-2mWW8mw-2p9qWkx-2oZ4WQf-opwf2W-oriBcg-or1NKF-o7JWL5-o7JMUY-opxLT6-2huqTNx-opw4AL-o854Xv-2nTfHAA-onvHn5-2nTd7Hj-ooXByt-2hurNid-2hurNsm-2hurPs7-o83WiM-2oZ93kH-2oZ8z2p

Here is a link to Wolstanton No 3 preserved and active on the Foxfield railway

www.flickr.com/photos/3741831270/40758329293/ 

Here is a link to "Debbie" at the Lincolnshire Wolds railway

www.flickr.com/photos/lestiverton/47967325678/in/photolist-2oXpTBp-ZqHBMA-2o1k3N8-2jogrHj-TLViss-2g5H5Lw

Wouldn’t it be nice if he could be persuaded to do a RTR version? I have read a lot of reports of new start ups producing locos which have bits drop off or are poor runners or are difficult to get into. Producing a RTR loco is a lot more difficult than we like to think. The Victories, though, avoided all the traps and would inspire me with confidence in PI.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if he could be persuaded to do a RTR version? I have read a lot of reports of new start ups producing locos which have bits drop off or are poor runners or are difficult to get into. Producing a RTR loco is a lot more difficult than we like to think. The Victories, though, avoided all the traps and would inspire me with confidence in PI.

I am pretty sure that James would happily build you an RTR version. After all he did it for me, and  now he has done it once he knows where all the bits go !!!

Drop him an email and ask him for a price, but you will need to supply the Bachmann 03 mechanism - probably the newer Next18 version. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

That’s an interesting suggestion, although from my own perspective, not something I would go for. Many, many years ago, after having a go at kit building I resorted to having kits built for me. In those days, new RTR models were infrequent. At first, I chose models to fill gaps, such as a Lord Nelson and an N. Then, as RTR began to proliferate, I chose prototypes I admired but were unlikely ever to be made, such as a P2. Those three examples demonstrate just how much things have changed.

No doubt James would do a good job but I don’t want a Bagnall badly enough to buy a Bachmann 03 and add the cost of extra parts and assembly on top of that. Money is limited and, as it is, I have to abandon some stuff I should like in order to purchase other stuff I prefer.

From PI’s perspective, I don’t know if the Victory was a financial success but it is most certainly a very successful model. PI isn’t Rapido or Accurascale, both of whom have lists of forthcoming models as long as your arm, but I would hope that PI is working quietly away on its next RTR model and a Bagnall would be a decent choice.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/11/2023 at 08:58, No Decorum said:

That’s an interesting suggestion, although from my own perspective, not something I would go for. Many, many years ago, after having a go at kit building I resorted to having kits built for me. In those days, new RTR models were infrequent. At first, I chose models to fill gaps, such as a Lord Nelson and an N. Then, as RTR began to proliferate, I chose prototypes I admired but were unlikely ever to be made, such as a P2. Those three examples demonstrate just how much things have changed.

No doubt James would do a good job but I don’t want a Bagnall badly enough to buy a Bachmann 03 and add the cost of extra parts and assembly on top of that. Money is limited and, as it is, I have to abandon some stuff I should like in order to purchase other stuff I prefer.

That is entirely understandable.  It is our hobby - with literally as many preferences as owners of them !!  

On 14/11/2023 at 08:58, No Decorum said:

From PI’s perspective, I don’t know if the Victory was a financial success but it is most certainly a very successful model. PI isn’t Rapido or Accurascale, both of whom have lists of forthcoming models as long as your arm, but I would hope that PI is working quietly away on its next RTR model and a Bagnall would be a decent choice.

I don't really know, but from what James told me, the Victory was quite a large undertaking for PI and I suspect they want to "clear the decks" in terms of clearly the remaining stock before moving on. PI are offering a pretty fantastic deal on the remaining Victorys in my view

As for the Bagnall, I  have decided to treat it !! I have chosen for it to become a little noisy !! Have reviewed some youtube clips of sound files and decided on the Digitrains class 03 fit of a Zimo decoder, Digitrains class 03 sound file, speaker and Lais stay alive.  Planning for James to install this kit for me, maybe prior to Christmas !!!

The first batch of Bagnall shunting locos were fitted with 5 cylinder and 7 cylinder National engines, then some received Dorman units which Bagnalls were sold..  I believe the final ones received Gardner 8L3s - same as the "Drewrys.  The preserved Bagnall at Chasewater as a Ruston power unit which I believe is broken.    

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cornelius said:

Thanks. Exactly which chassis is it designed to fit? There are two versions of the Bachmann Class 03 chassis and the rear body fixing holes are not in the same place on them. It seems to have been redesigned to get the Next 18 decoder PCB in.

14 hours ago, James Hilton said:

It is not ready yet as a kit - the prototype model (Phil's commission) uses a Next18 Farish 03. 

I'm confused now. I was under the impression that it was OO, not N. Or do you mean Phil's is N but the kit will be OO, or available in both scales?

Can't apologise for this link

flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/25576895308/in/photolist-EY9gTA-broQyC-bEiJoH-broNJs-broNt9

One of the NCB Bagnalls trundling down the NCB branch from Hilton Main colliery to Short Heath wharf in 1965 with a few NCB internal users then some flat wagons with coal boxes.  The internal users will be for the landsale yard, whilst the coal boxes will be emptied by diesel crane into narrow boats for onward movement to power stations - either Wolverhampton or Walsall. 

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Maybe you could apologise - just a little bit - for the link not working ??!? 🙄

Maybe you could apologise for the comment made which would have taken more time than copying and pasting the url.

• Like 2

I’ve just fitted sound to the model, so it was a chance to do a little bit of an overview.

In terms of ‘the kit’, the design is obviously complete, I’m just working out minimum batch size, based upon etch artwork and 3D printer capacity - and will make the production run a multiple of that. Once we’re ready to announce it I’ll post on here (as well as to the Pi subscription email, Facebook and the like).

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi James - this is a prototype that I rather like, so I'd be up for one of the kits, as and when they become available, please.

I would probably seek to build one in P4. Rather than convert the Bachmann 03 chassis to P4 (I don't know how easy that would be), it occurred to me that the High Level chassis kit might fit - so I just wondered if you or anyone else had any thoughts on that, please.

Thanks.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi James - this is a prototype that I rather like, so I'd be up for one of the kits, as and when they become available, please.

I would probably seek to build one in P4. Rather than convert the Bachmann 03 chassis to P4 (I don't know how easy that would be), it occurred to me that the High Level chassis kit might fit - so I just wondered if you or anyone else had any thoughts on that, please.

Thanks.

I'm thinking along the same lines, Cap'n, but not for the gauge. I'm thinking that the HL kit will allow the builder a choice of wheels. The Class 03 wheels are quite distinctive, with their large balance weights that take up around a third of the wheel, where the Bagnall has a more usual crescent-shaped weight and if you're going to the trouble of building the chassis kit then you may as well use more prototypical wheels.  I imagine the HL kit will have been designed for the older Bachmann body but changing the position of a hole in a spacer to match the newer body, and this kit, can't be that difficult.

• Like 2

Having got the parcel back from James on Friday (very speedy service thanks) I had a play with the loco over the weekend.  I really cannot enthuse enough over the loco and am blown away by what the Zimo decoder does to the Bachmann chassis.  I have always rated Bachmann's mechanisms, particularly after seeming the performance of one of the original Bachmann class 25s totally transform by the fitting of a good decoder to replace that the loco was fitted with originally. 

The Zimo controlled practically imperceptible crawl in speed steps 1, 2 and 3 is testament to the Bachmann mechanism, but it is in my view enhanced by the sound of the Gardner when the gearbox hisses as the loco selects the gear. I assume the CVs can be changed if required but the Digitrains sound file on the Zimo decoder "changes up into 2nd gear" at about speed step 23, and again around speed step 40.  A dab of F2 "applies the brakes" and makes the loco a real joy to shunt with. 

I am assuming other "Drewry" files for decoders are similar in terms of function to the Digitrains product on the Zimo MX590 decoder, but I really cannot recommend it highly enough to those who choose the DCC path for their toy trains.  "Sam Trains" would be blown away by the crawl I can tell you !!!!        

• Like 2