Ironing out small kinks in British Finescale track

AndyB

I'm starting g my first section of track laying using British Finescale N gauge track. 

One difference I've found to Peco Code 55 is that I get a lot of small kinks in the track. 

I'd like to hear how others have resolved this? 

I've tried using a Tracksetta template but with limited success.

Looking down the length of track it still looks more like a care-worn industrial tramway than the sleek mainline I'm hoping for. 

Thanks in advance.

Andy

20231115_162916.jpg.0ad572b6e890913263d49fd1685471a2.jpg

Edited by AndyB
Better description

• AndyB changed the title to Ironing out small kinks in British Finescale track
49 minutes ago, Kris said:

I have a 60cm metal ruler that has helped. That said laying a smooth curve is a right pain. 

The longer the better.  I would think about making a template to fit neatly between the rails to keep a piece of track (a piece as long as possible) straight while it dries and then have a second one which fixes to the first to give the correct 6 foot for straight double track.. For curves I suppose you could make a curved one...  I have the same issue outside with 00 where the mortar mix I use as ballast takes for ever to dry and the track happily distorts while i am waiting

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I find multiple straight tracksetta positioned in series works for me.  I’ve also used U-section aluminium strip against the sleepers with success. I glue my Finetrax down with UHU which gives time for fine adjustments and then sets sufficiently quickly to avoid the kinks.

Best

Scott.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all for your ideas. 

I went with a hybrid solution.

First off straightening out as many kinks as possible using a steel rule.

Followed by eyeballing the track end on, placing a finger where there was a kink, and easing that out. Working my way down the length of rail. Then repeating the process a number of times if new kinks appeared. 

Once it was "de-kinked" I glued it in place. 

There's a little bit of work to do to remove glue from the sleepers.

20231116_120612.jpg.b982371c2deeea74819adad418fcbe97.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1