RMweb

HSTs carrying parcels

18B

Hi, 

just reading an article from 1988 and it mentions the loading of parcels in to the power car.. my question is when were the last parcels carried in an HST power car? 

TIA. 

2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Probably when Red Star Parcels folded in the early 200s and parcels stopped being sent by passenger train.

I think it's more recent than that.  I recall something - made to order cakes I think - being sent from Penzance on HSTs about 10 years ago.  Obviously only in small numbers.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Though items for use within the railway industry might have been carried later p'raps ?

Parcels carried 'On Company Service' (OCS) along with travel for duty purposes died with privatisation. We were already using a courier service to send out parcels of plans and diagrams from the Drawing Office.

We had to pay for our tickets to go to meetings from about 1995. For some meetings I used to get and early morning flight as it was cheaper than going by rail the previous afternoon and using a hotel.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

On the WR, mailbags were carried in the Paddington end power car, and any parcels or other BR traffic in the down end power car.  This was for the convenience of both BR and Royal Mail staff so that they would not get in each other's way and knew which end of the train to wait for.  It was chaos if a set got turned around on the journey for any reason!

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I believe fish was carried between two stops on the Central Wales line under a local arrangement;; to save paperwork, the goods were issued with a single ticket.

Was that on an HST ? Plainly not an of - fish - ial arrangement then! 😉

Or was it from Llangammarch Wels? 

Wels fish

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

On 18/11/2023 at 00:31, The Johnster said:

On the WR, mailbags were carried in the Paddington end power car, and any parcels or other BR traffic in the down end power car.  This was for the convenience of both BR and Royal Mail staff so that they would not get in each other's way and knew which end of the train to wait for.  It was chaos if a set got turned around on the journey for any reason!

what years would this have been please?