Next Years Announcements (9th Jan btw)(not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)

Pmorgancym

My guess is we will see Dominion of New Zealand come out to match Commonwealth of Australia and Empire of India. 

I do wonder if they will do Union of South Africa and Dominion of Canada as these both seem to be offlimits due to the great gathering limited edition sets. However both would be lovely in their coronation liveries. 

Still wondering if they will upgrade the D49. As it is a legacy model of Hornby's dating all the way back to O gauge sets. The current 1970's really needs to be brought into the 2020's they already have the tender for the group standard versions. The grouping tenders could be made up from spares... Such as the Q6. But the others would leave to the modellers to chase around Bachmann for the GCR types. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougN said:

My guess is we will see Dominion of New Zealand come out to match Commonwealth of Australia and Empire of India. 

I do wonder if they will do Union of South Africa and Dominion of Canada as these both seem to be offlimits due to the great gathering limited edition sets. However both would be lovely in their coronation liveries. 

Still wondering if they will upgrade the D49. As it is a legacy model of Hornby's dating all the way back to O gauge sets. The current 1970's really needs to be brought into the 2020's they already have the tender for the group standard versions. The grouping tenders could be made up from spares... Such as the Q6. But the others would leave to the modellers to chase around Bachmann for the GCR types. 

Hornby have a GC styled tender in their range already, coupled to their Thompson O1 tooling.  I managed to get a hold of a spare tender for my own 'Shire' upgrade earlier this year, very handy for having those tender pickups.

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

I bet we will see some new items of trackwork...

Misquoting the above, sorry.

It is surely time that some brand or other launches an OO set track upgrade, based on what's long been available in HO track systems. The base geometry needn't change but there is scope for all sorts of upgrades: larger radii, live crossings, ballasted base, integrated point motors, perhaps even -WOW! - a double slip!

My continental cousins only had the latter on their HO layouts before 1960...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It is surely time that some brand or other launches an OO set track upgrade, based on what's long been available in HO track systems. The base geometry needn't change but there is scope for all sorts of upgrades: larger radii, live crossings, ballasted base, integrated point motors, perhaps even -WOW! - a double slip!

I think that may be tricky to do.

The continental r-t-r market was traditionally dominated by one-make collectors who actually unbox and run their stuff. Whilst eclecticism has increased, that remains a strong element within the hobby.  

Where the UK is concerned, around the 1960 date you cite, there were quite a few suppliers making accessible alternative track systems for those wanting more than Hornby Dublo, Tri-ang and Trix offered. Farish Formoway, GEM, and Peco Streamline (obviously), but also several others that escape my memory. 

By concentrating on track rather than becoming a "whole range" manufacturer (which must have been a temptation), Peco eventually prevailed as the "go to" first step beyond the train set. After Hornby, it's probably been the next brand of which UK newcomers become aware for the past six decades. 

The problem for Hornby is that any affordable expansion/improvement to their own track system would inevitably look half-hearted against the proven, comprehensive, and ever-evolving offer from Peco, which may have quietly become the nearest thing there is to a "World Brand" in the model railway field. 

Perhaps too big and expensive an investment challenge to add to the growing degree of competition in train sales? 

It's perhaps significant that none of the the "new boys" even mention track.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Improved sleeper spacing and even "Modern Image" sleepers,  with 5th radius curves perhaps. Live crossings if they don't require special switching. 

Ballasted bases and integrated point motors would be retrogressive, all the way back to Triang Standard track of the mid-50s.  And is there really a need for a double slip in a set track environment?

Edited by Hroth
mistype corrections
  • Like 2

I'm still surprised Hornby haven't yet produced the Chiltern Mk3 sets.
They already have the Mk3 tooling (bar minor adjustments for the plug doors) and have produced the 67/DVT in WSMR livery, which the Chiltern livery was based on. Would also give all those Dapol Chiltern 68s something to haul!

• RMweb Gold

One reason why double slips (and three-way points, for that matter) are included in the track ranges of German manufacturers is that these are considerably more common in real German track layouts than in the UK. You don't tend to find them in US track ranges — but then these include 90° crossings…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ballasted bases and integrated point motors would be retrogressive,

I dunno, after using Kato unitrack (both N and HO/OO I don't know if I ever want to go back. Freed from the pain and angst of attaching & wiring point motors is such a breath of fresh air; and I don't have to worry that I'll ruin the paintwork with one careless drop of PVA and ballast...

But that's me :)

• Like 4

I’ve been looking v nostalgically at my two Hornby Dublo AL1 locos and was musing on the fact this was the last HD design before the Triang takeover - it’s 60 yrs either now or at the end of 2024 - I can’t quite remember when I had them.

Wouldn't it be just wonderful if Hornby made a high detail class 81 in the Hornby Dublo range, to follow on from the prototype Deltic, as a homage to this anniversary???!!!!! 🥰

Mine both have very smooth Ringfield motors, pick ups on all wheels and traction tyres - they were light years ahead of the Triang stuff although I still have my Brush type 2s as well from the same era!! 😀

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

I’ve been looking v nostalgically at my two Hornby Dublo AL1 locos and was musing on the fact this was the last HD design before the Triang takeover - it’s 60 yrs either now or at the end of 2024 - I can’t quite remember when I had them.

Wouldn't it be just wonderful if Hornby made a high detail class 81 in the Hornby Dublo range, to follow on from the prototype Deltic, as a homage to this anniversary???!!!!! 🥰

Mine both have very smooth Ringfield motors, pick ups on all wheels and traction tyres - they were light years ahead of the Triang stuff although I still have my Brush type 2s as well from the same era!! 😀

Yes with reproduction packaging similar to this! 

Hornby-Dublo-2-rail-2245-Bo-Bo-BR-blue-Class-81-Overhead-Electric.jpg

Electric_Pantograph_3300hp_Locomotive,_Hornby-Dublo_2245_3245_(DubloCat_1963).jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

I dunno, after using Kato unitrack (both N and HO/OO I don't know if I ever want to go back. Freed from the pain and angst of attaching & wiring point motors is such a breath of fresh air; and I don't have to worry that I'll ruin the paintwork with one careless drop of PVA and ballast...

But that's me :)

Following your post about Kato Unitrack I had a look at the range available, the appearance and likely costs.  I think it's fair to say I'm convinced and will be looking to use it when I start the rebuild of "Wednesford" in my garage now I've moved.  Even for a permanent installation it looks like it will be more robust and less responsive to cack-handed laying than your normal track plus ballast and PVA.

Thanks for the heads up...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Pmorgancym changed the title to Next Years Announcements (not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)
10 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Following your post about Kato Unitrack I had a look at the range available, the appearance and likely costs.  I think it's fair to say I'm convinced and will be looking to use it when I start the rebuild of "Wednesford" in my garage now I've moved.  Even for a permanent installation it looks like it will be more robust and less responsive to cack-handed laying than your normal track plus ballast and PVA.

Thanks for the heads up...

For what it’s worth, my layout is in the roof space. Cold in winter, hot in summer. It’s Peco laid to 6' radius with long electrofrog points. It has stood up to time well but it isn’t convenient and often uncomfortable up there. I got hold of a Bachmann Thomas set with E-Z track for grandchildren. Having tried it myself, I found it fiddly to put together. I then got a basic set of Kato N track to run 009 on. It looks wrong, of course, but it works. On the strength of that, I have recently acquired a basic set of Kato H0 track to test and run stuff in more conveniently than in the roof space. It’s grand. it’s very easy to put together and put away again.

I have a couple of reservations. First, it doesn’t look as realistic as Peco track when the latter is properly ballasted. Second, whislt the basic track set comes with a very nice DC controller, DCC is more of a problem. My NCE controller plugs into a unit screwed to a baseboard. I shall have to get hold of spare sets of connectors for the Kato track (the N and H0 track have different connectors) and try to find a spare NCE connector so that I can cut and join wires.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

48 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

For what it’s worth, my layout is in the roof space. Cold in winter, hot in summer. It’s Peco laid to 6' radius with long electrofrog points. It has stood up to time well but it isn’t convenient and often uncomfortable up there. I got hold of a Bachmann Thomas set with E-Z track for grandchildren. Having tried it myself, I found it fiddly to put together. I then got a basic set of Kato N track to run 009 on. It looks wrong, of course, but it works. On the strength of that, I have recently acquired a basic set of Kato H0 track to test and run stuff in more conveniently than in the roof space. It’s grand. it’s very easy to put together and put away again.

I have a couple of reservations. First, it doesn’t look as realistic as Peco track when the latter is properly ballasted. Second, whislt the basic track set comes with a very nice DC controller, DCC is more of a problem. My NCE controller plugs into a unit screwed to a baseboard. I shall have to get hold of spare sets of connectors for the Kato track (the N and H0 track have different connectors) and try to find a spare NCE connector so that I can cut and join wires.

But it does look better than what the ham-fisted can achieve with Peco track.  It is also fantastically well engineered.

22 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

...I have recently acquired a basic set of Kato H0 track to test and run stuff in more conveniently than in the roof space. It’s grand. it’s very easy to put together and put away again.

I have a couple of reservations. First, it doesn’t look as realistic as Peco track when the latter is properly ballasted. Second, whilst the basic track set comes with a very nice DC controller, DCC is more of a problem...

The question I have is 'but does it look better than current RTR OO set track?' That's what it has to beat. It's not competing with flexitrack systems

The DCC connection problem is most liely a product of the low uptake of DCC in Japan. Not likely to be a problem if a UK equivalent product is launched

20 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

I'm still surprised Hornby haven't yet produced the Chiltern Mk3 sets.
They already have the Mk3 tooling (bar minor adjustments for the plug doors) and have produced the 67/DVT in WSMR livery, which the Chiltern livery was based on. Would also give all those Dapol Chiltern 68s something to haul!

I wouldn’t say that I’m surprised; Hornby seems more concerned to compete with other manufacturers than to supplement their ranges. However, I am disappointed that no-one has had a go at producing Chiltern Mk IIIs. The appearance of Accurascale’s TPE coaches has been of great benefit to Dapol, perhaps Chiltern coaches would do likewise.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The question I have is 'but does it look better than current RTR OO set track?' That's what it has to beat. It's not competing with flexitrack systems

The DCC connection problem is most liely a product of the low uptake of DCC in Japan. Not likely to be a problem if a UK equivalent product is launched

I love Kato Unitrack - as you say, fantastically well engineered and I notice far fewer derailments compared to when I used Peco and Hornby setrack. The only problem is that it looks wrong in a UK OO gauge context - the sleeper spacing is off, there aren't any UK style buffers available.

A UK equivalent is a fantastic idea. Kato even make plug-in working signals that you can simply screw in and they work - imagine semaphores you could just plug in and control with the push of a button; no soldering required.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

But it does look better than what the ham-fisted can achieve with Peco track.  It is also fantastically well engineered.

The ham fisted probably stick with Hornby track anyway, along with foam underlay. In any case, the only thing with Peco that's any more difficult than using train-set track is joining flexi on curves.

The initial tooling for Unitrack probably cost Kato a bomb, and I doubt Hornby's finances are in a fit state to support the introduction of a complete new trackage system alongside what they are spending on TT-120 and what will need to spend to defend their position in OO. 

If they did have anything like it in mind, I'd think they would have done it first in TT-120, where they were starting from scratch. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It (or an equivalent range) could look better than current Setrack.  It could also include power buses with better connections between track pieces than can be achieved with just rail joiners, point motors, switched live frogs, optional power routing for DC users and whatever kind of remote point operation the manufacturer chose to install.  It could look good and have reliable plug and play functionality matching what new users expect from their other consumer electronics.

But it would need to be significantly more expensive than current Setrack.

Edit- and to return to the topic, it would probably be a project too far for Hornby in their current circumstances so I wouldn't expect it from them.  TT would have been the place to start if they had wanted to.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Since we're playing the guessing game, I'd like to make my predictions...

I do think this will be another consolidation year for Hornby, no dazzling slate of new announcements. Of course there will be something new, and I predict that we will get a retooled, state-of-the-art Stanier 8F to match the 9F and Black 5 already announced. Frankly they'd be daft not to, given the competition snapping at their heels.

I predict it every year, but I reckon 2024 will finally be the year Hornby tackle the Saint 4-6-0. I reckon they'll only do the straight framed variant for now so they can accurately represent Lady of Legend, but I'm sure we'll see later versions in due course.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 14xx has been retooled and appears in shops soon after the announcement, like the Terrier in 2020.

I do think it's notable that Rapido shied away from doing one when they did the Titfield stuff, and none of the other manufacturers seem very enthusiastic despite it being ripe for a re-tool.

I don't think we'll get any new tooling wagons or coaches. If they do the Saint, it would make sense to retool the GWR clerestories to modern standards, but I bet they just reissue the old ones.

As for my personal wishlist, I'd love to see a Raven B16 4-6-0 or a D20 4-4-0, but there's absolutely no chance Hornby will touch either. I reckon there are all sorts of pre-grouping locos that would fly off shelves but Hornby simply aren't brave enough.

• Like 3