The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Vale Joss Ackland

DavidB-AU

"Mr Kipling" has passed .......................... wonderful actor amazing voice

My favourites - the narration in J. Bronowski's "Ascent of man" and playing the baddie in "Lethal Weapon 2" (sorry) 

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A truly versatile and talented performer. To me one of the distinguishing features of a good actor is they disappear into a role, becoming the character they are playing and Joss Ackland did that. He was also a talented performer in musicals, he performed the role of Peron in Evita.

My favoured Ackland vehicles have been Hunt for Red October and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

I suspect neither were a stretch for a man of his talent, but he brought just the right amount of sinister to both roles and I'm happy he made a bit of cash from some harmless Hollywood tosh.

C6T.

• Like 1

From the OP link:

"In a 2001 interview with the BBC he said he appeared in some "awful films" because he was a workaholic."

Joss mate, Michael Caine did Jaws 4 and a bunch of other turkeys to pay for stuff...and still got a knighthood. I dislike the fact obviously talented people feel the need to explain why they've done work deemed 'beneath' them.

Probably the interviewing journo' asking a dumbass question in the first place though.

C6T.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am sure Mr A played a role, with another I have forgotten, in some Radio 4 (Afternoon) Dramas about an old Folks' home, possibly for aged Actors, circa early to mid 2000s? The sort of Play I listened to on long Drives and I can remember whereabouts I was when the plays were being broadcast and it seemed more than once, between Norwich and Peterborough! Can't remember the actual content, but can remember the gentle way in which the story flowed. I shall have to do some investigation. 

I am ashamed to admit, that I recognised his name but did not realise he had had such a distinguished and varied career. In fact I thought he had been a Pop performer from the late 50s!

RIP to who  seems to have been a wonderful person.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2023 at 16:50, Classsix T said:

My favoured Ackland vehicles have been Hunt for Red October and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

I suspect neither were a stretch for a man of his talent, but he brought just the right amount of sinister to both roles and I'm happy he made a bit of cash from some harmless Hollywood tosh.

C6T.

I hope he finds his lost submarine wherever he is right now.

On 20/11/2023 at 08:43, Southernman46 said:

and playing the baddie in "Lethal Weapon 2"

Every time I hear somebody utter the words "diplomatic immunity" - which admittedly is not every day - I picture the versatile Joss Ackland saying it in that clipped South African accent with a wry smile on his face! Grrrr - get 'im Riggs!

As others have said, a great actor with a great voice - and 95 is good going these days. 

RIP.

• Agree 1

I had to provide a preserved double deck bus for the filmset of 'Shadowlands' starring Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom on a very cold and snowy January 1985 morning in Oxford's Longwall St. 

As usual there was a lot of standing around to do waiting to move things and I remember Mr Ackland's compassionate remarks regarding me keeping warm and even getting me a cup of tea from the nearby cafe that was hosting the film crew. Sad to hear of his passing but 1985 was nearly forty years ago so he had reached a very good finale!

• Like 2