Matt's wagon detailing workbench - Mk2 E BSO

This will be my next work in progress project - a Lowmac made from the venerable Airfix kit:

I have a real soft spot for the Lowmac and in fact it was my attempt (ultimately unsuccessful) to build one of these 10 or so years ago that got me started on my wagon building path.

I'll be using the (yellow!) kit as a basis and going from there.

Matt

• Like 5

I do like the old Airfix kits. I've built four mineral wagons to EM gauge on Masokits W irons. Here they are at Upbech St Mary running in its 1960s post steam era. The layout can also be run in late 40s early 50s guise. 

20230114_161629.jpg.60fb957b081db5c44d65ee43801134cc.jpg

I pick them up cheap on Ebay and have another one to do, this time I have Bill Bedford W irons, not used those before. Will watch with interest as a lowmac is very tempting.

I would describe my modelling as rather sketchbook, I do admire your level of detail.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would recommend anyone to use the older Airfix kits rather than the newer Dapol versions; apart from mould wear, the plastic is much better quality.   The Dapol ones I've bought have been soft, soapy and often distorted.   The Airfix plastic seems to stay hard without being overly brittle, even in kits 40 and more years old.

I used the Airfix brake van as the main feature of my wagon building demo at Warley last year.

spacer.png

Still very much worth the effort.   I have one of these attractive yellow Lowmacs in the pile, so I shall be watching with interest.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

I would recommend anyone to use the older Airfix kits rather than the newer Dapol versions; apart from mould wear, the plastic is much better quality.   The Dapol ones I've bought have been soft, soapy and often distorted.   The Airfix plastic seems to stay hard without being overly brittle, even in kits 40 and more years old.

I used the Airfix brake van as the main feature of my wagon building demo at Warley last year.

spacer.png

Still very much worth the effort.   I have one of these attractive yellow Lowmacs in the pile, so I shall be watching with interest.

I quite agree with everything you say - the original Airfix kits are superior in every way. I built both of these from ancient Airfix kits:

You've made some nice modifications to the w-irons and brakegear there though!

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

You've made some nice modifications to the w-irons and brakegear there though!

Mine was built as the LNER Toad D, the ancestor of the BR diagram.   I did 3 in total; the red one I've kept for my demonstration display as the modifications show up very well.  The other two now run on Grantham.

spacer.png

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Mine was built as the LNER Toad D, the ancestor of the BR diagram.   I did 3 in total; the red one I've kept for my demonstration display as the modifications show up very well.  The other two now run on Grantham.

spacer.png

4.5p - bargain!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2023 at 13:23, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Triang Cowan's Sheldon crane with scratchbuilt jib:

Matt

I love your work to the crane. I've recently all but completed a similar upgrade but wasn't brave enough to re-work the jib. Having seen yours though, I'm tempted to have a go an another one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

I love your work to the crane. I've recently all but completed a similar upgrade but wasn't brave enough to re-work the jib. Having seen yours though, I'm tempted to have a go an another one!

Thanks, it was a fiddly job but worth it in my opinion - even though it's quite delicate.

Matt

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/12/2023 at 07:47, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Thanks, it was a fiddly job but worth it in my opinion - even though it's quite delicate.

Matt

Lovely job Matt. 

Arguably unrecognisable from the toy you started with. 

Rob

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Lovely job Matt. 

Arguably unrecognisable from the toy you started with. 

Rob

Thanks Rob, much appreciated!

Lot of work and effort, but worth it in my opinion. Rebuilding the jib was the single biggest improvement visually at least.

Matt

Ok, the yellow Lowmac.

As touched upon in a previous post, this being an Airfix (as opposed to a more recent Dapol) kit, the parts are in better condition, and less prone to being twisted, even though they're 30 - 40 years old.

The Lowmac I attempted 10+ years ago had a noticeable twist that I was never fully able to rectify.

All the parts are in good condition right from the box, but I decided to fabricate my own solebars and bufferbeams from plastic sheet. There's no desperate need to do this, but as I was going to be removing the axle boxes anyway, I thought I'd just save myself some time and cut out the middle man.

The deck will be the only part of the kit I'll actually use - everything else will be scratchbuilt or added from other bits and pieces.

This is now drying, but the whole lot is nice and sturdy and square.

Matt

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi all,

The Lowmac has ground to a halt while I ponder the distinctive springs.

Meanwhile, I've started a new project. Soldering has always been something I've really struggled with but, over the last 12 months, I've been practicing whenever I've had a chance.

So, at long last, I've started my very first etched kit. This is the 1/024 Palbrick kit from @macgeordie.

It's designed to be built by less experienced etched kit builders so was ideal as a first project.

The kit itself is lovely with well written instructions that a novice etched kit builder like me has had no problem following.

So far so good!

Matt

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

On 22/12/2023 at 14:10, Chas Levin said:

Agreed - nice job; I also thought the crane is superb - I have one to detail too, and you've set the bar very high!

Thanks Chas!

The crane has been a long term project but it's finally getting there - I just need to paint it now.

The Palbrick is on the finishing straight construction wise at least. The underframe details are a work of art.

Is it just me, or do etched kits look better unpainted?

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4