Matt's wagon detailing workbench - Mk2 E BSO

Hi all,

I mentioned a few posts ago that I would be needing some coaching stock for a future project. At the time, I was mainly referring to Mk1's, but I've subsequently come to realise that a couple of Mk2's won't hurt either!

The stock will predominantly be Blue/Grey, so this is very much an outlier, but I picked it up for a bargain price and thought it made sense to practice some of the changes I'd be making before committing to anything else.

So this is a Hornby Mk2E BSO. I'm no expert when it comes to coaches, but these are certainly more affordable than the Bachmann equivalents on the used market and that is my priority!

I've limited my changes to replacing handrails and roof grab handles. I've decided to leave the bodyside handrails as they are to avoid too much work/damage. I will be doing a bit more cosmetic detailing before I call it done, but this'll mainly be some pipes, cosmetic couplings [possibly] and steps.

After that, I'll have to do a bit of repainting, just to patch things up. I did consider replacing the glazing, but after consideration, decided this would be an unnecessary step.

BSO01

Happy Easter!

Matt

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

A bit more work managed over the Bank Holiday, although unfortunately I'm going away again tomorrow so any further progress will be halted.

I decided to knock up some steps using some bits of waste etch, nothing clever, but quick, [relatively] easy and most importantly, cheap!

BSO02

I've also done some more work to the ends: replacement handrails mentioned in an earlier post, and some very basic detailing to the corridor connector. I won't be repeating this on the inner ends of the rake, only the outer.

BSO04

And finally the coach sides have been repainted so as to provide a blank canvas - why I hear you ask - well there was some scratching and scuffing to parts of the body and a repaint was easier!

BSO03

Note that the body isn't clipped in place in any of these photos - disassembling it once was difficult enough!

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 4

On 09/04/2024 at 10:12, jwealleans said:

I saw this on FB.   That wood effect is outstanding.   What did you use?

Thanks Jonathan - it's acrylic paint and washes of black, brown and grey oil paint over the top.

I've been working away on the BSO. It's now been repainted and the various markings applied.

I was in two minds whether to replace the window bars - I initially thought that the printed Hornby ones looked ok but following closer inspection, decided they definitely needed replacing. These were easy enough to knock up from fine wire and look a lot better to my eyes.

BSO007

BSO005

I've also made a suggestion at a dropped buckeye - the inner ends will use Kadee couplings. I'm now debating whether to add cosmetic pipes to this end - their omission is noticeable, however will they get in the way of coupling/uncoupling using Smiths hooks and couplings?

BSO006

All that aside, I'm about to start the weathering progress soon which will hopefully bring all this to life.

Matt

• Like 2

On 07/04/2024 at 15:47, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hello all,

6 months on, and I've finally finished the interior of the Parkside 13t wagon. To be honest, I've no idea if the real wagon floors were painted or not!

S

Matt

Has to be one of the most realistic timber finishes I've seen, well done sir!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I've also made a suggestion at a dropped buckeye - the inner ends will use Kadee couplings. I'm now debating whether to add cosmetic pipes to this end - their omission is noticeable, however will they get in the way of coupling/uncoupling using Smiths hooks and couplings?

If you are not constantly coupling and uncoupling at the loco end then I don't think it would be a problem, and anyway, Smiths hooks are huuuuge, so that will help.

Also, if you use flexible pipes that should help alleviate any interference issues.

Mike.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you are not constantly coupling and uncoupling at the loco end then I don't think it would be a problem, and anyway, Smiths hooks are huuuuge, so that will help.

Also, if you use flexible pipes that should help alleviate any interference issues.

Mike.

Is there a supplier of flexible pipes that you can recommend?