Wizard 51L

Edwardian

A very useful supplier with many great accessories and pre-Grouping wagon kits that I have used many time over the years .....

Now, however, when I try to go to the website, https://www.wizardmodels.ltd, I get "Error 503 Backend fetch failed"

Down.com claims it's me. That does not seem to be so. 'Is it down or is it me' acknowledges a problem, however: "We have tried accessing the Wizardmodels.ltd website using our servers and we were unable to connect to the website. If Wizardmodels.ltd is also down for you then there is likely a problem with their servers"

Is this trader alive and well? Does it have a, hopefully temporary, problem with its website? Is it just me?!

UK Model Shop Directory gives a 'phone number -   01652 635885 - so I'll give that a try later and let you know!

• RMweb Premium

I get the same. I notice the card kits previously sold by them, Freestone, Howard scenics etc. ( I think that’s right) are now with Squires so perhaps changes are afoot. I had a aluminium roof recently so it’s recent.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Major Clanger said:

It's working for me, but perhaps a little slower than usual.

Izzy - we have never sold card kits...

Oh dear, I’m so sorry. Another senior moment! I wonder who it was ….

Yes no drama, I was on there yesterday ordering a GWR Brake Third.

It's possible I was hogging the site for several hours whilst making my choice, but more likely one of those little glitches!

My order went through OK. Sometimes when these little errors happen it just pays to find entertainment elsewhere for a couple of hours and have another go.

I do like dealing with Wizard, although the website is not a friendly to me as the old "Comet" one where I could see a list of all of the GWR coach diagrams available on one page in list form with build dates, lengths etc. etc. which was much easier to make a choice from. 

To be fair, its all there, just a bit more difficult to find. Maybe it's just me...

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Star-rider said:

Yes no drama, I was on there yesterday ordering a GWR Brake Third.

It's possible I was hogging the site for several hours whilst making my choice, but more likely one of those little glitches!

My order went through OK. Sometimes when these little errors happen it just pays to find entertainment elsewhere for a couple of hours and have another go.

I do like dealing with Wizard, although the website is not a friendly to me as the old "Comet" one where I could see a list of all of the GWR coach diagrams available on one page in list form with build dates, lengths etc. etc. which was much easier to make a choice from. 

To be fair, its all there, just a bit more difficult to find. Maybe it's just me...

Pete.

Try the Catalogue View at the top of the page.

Then select Carriage lists. Not perfect but it separates them from everything else and into subsections.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/cat_carriagekits/

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2023 at 08:00, Edwardian said:

I get "Error 503 Backend fetch failed"

Down.com claims it's me. That does not seem to be so.

You are correct, it was not down to you. In the parlance, the "front end" is the "client side" user interface, e.g. your web browser. The "back end" is the "server side" on the other side of the Universe, e.g the Wizard website and all the gubbins (to use the technical term) behind it.

Any 5xx error code is a problem at the back end.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

for further details.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

There may be some difficulty contacting us by phone over the next few days as the line is being switched to digital voice. The website and email should be unaffected, although we won't be able to access either for a short time whilst the changeover is actually being made.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered by phone, to avoid any hitches with on-line two-step card verification, mid afternoon Wednesday (day before yesterday), had a nice conversation about the state of the model railway trade too, items delivered by post by 9.30am today. I was also offered the alternative of collecting the items, post free, from a nearby show this weekend if I happened to be going, but that's not the case. Costs not at all unreasonable compared to the spiralling prices in the RTR sector. Happy customer!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Ordered by phone, to avoid any hitches with on-line two-step card verification, mid afternoon Wednesday (day before yesterday), had a nice conversation about the state of the model railway trade too, items delivered by post by 9.30am today. I was also offered the alternative of collecting the items, post free, from a nearby show this weekend if I happened to be going, but that's not the case. Costs not at all unreasonable compared to the spiralling prices in the RTR sector. Happy customer!

Yes always excellent service. The problem now is a lot of his stock has sold out especially the Markits range.

On 09/02/2024 at 13:51, micklner said:

Yes always excellent service. The problem now is a lot of his stock has sold out especially the Markits range.

The Markits wheels situation appears to lie with Markits supply. Roxey Mouldings website shows a similar picture.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The Markits wheels situation appears to lie with Markits supply. Roxey Mouldings website shows a similar picture.

Indeed, I believe Roxey gave up selling the Wheels a while ago.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Not an unusual situation sadly. Although I did receive some backordered bits from Dave a week or so ago.