Railway Icons' Prototype High Speed Diesel Train Power Car No.41001 - Updated Images

Locomotion No. 3

UPDATED IMAGES

The prototype High Speed Diesel Train (HSDT), British Rail Class 252, was devised by staff at the Railway Technical Centre in Derby. The prototype power cars were built at British Rail Engineering Limited at Crewe Works in 1972 with the Mark 3 coaches constructed at BREL Derby Litchurch Lane. After extensive trials on the Western Region, the production versions of the trains (with redesigned cab fronts) consisting of 197 power cars entered service in 1977. Initially they were only in traffic on Western Region lines, but were eventually used on the East Coast, Midland and Cross Country routes.

Until the introduction of the Hitachi Class 800 series of bi-mode trains to GWR in 2017, the HSTs were the main stay of services on non-electrified lines. During the privatisation of railways between 1995 and 1997, 193 power cars carried the liveries of several operators before their withdrawal. These trains have subsequently undergone extensive refurbishments, with three different types of diesel engine fitted during major overhaul works. Now, after many years of service, some remain in traffic with ScotRail and GWR.

The Class 41 HSDT Prototype models are expected in Summer 2024, and can be reserved on our website now.

HSDT_1.jpg

HSDT_2.jpg

HSDT_3.jpg

HSDT_4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve already got one on order.  Not sure if I should order a second and renumber it, or wait.  I did try and find out if a model of number 2 would appear in due course, but didn’t get a yes or no answer.

12 hours ago, ColinK said:

I’ve already got one on order.  Not sure if I should order a second and renumber it, or wait.  I did try and find out if a model of number 2 would appear in due course, but didn’t get a yes or no answer.

I suppose they’re waiting to see if it sells well. I have one on order. It’s a bit of a leap of faith that the other power car and coaches will appear in time. If they don’t, then it will be put to work on blue grey Mk. IIIs. I’ll confess that if the whole train had been offered at once, I doubt that I would have been able to put together enough cash. A sound option would be welcome but if it isn’t forthcoming, an HST project will do the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1