Platform access

Sol

In the 1940's to say 1970's. how did passengers using wheelchairs, get from one platform to another as normally stairs are not viable by ones self - even not perfect having someone control the wheelchair  & elevators probably weren't  installed in that period of time ?

And nowadays passengers use Gophers as well.

TIA

Edited by Sol
signature

Thanks, I was aware of that for smaller stations bit not sure on big stations ( & of course, on my layout the two platforms are different lengths - the second one came after some track changes)

It wasn't just wheelchairs.  Luggage etc often had to be taken to/from the far platform, so unless there was a level crossing, barrow crossings were common.

Here ar Hitchin we had a barrow crossing (protected by block repeaters for all four lines to tell staff when it was safe to cross) as well as freight lifts to the underpass between the platforms (now replaced by passenger lifts)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It wasn't just wheelchairs.  Luggage etc often had to be taken to/from the far platform, so unless there was a level crossing, barrow crossings were common.

Here ar Hitchin we had a barrow crossing (protected by block repeaters for all four lines to tell staff when it was safe to cross) as well as freight lifts to the underpass between the platforms (now replaced by passenger lifts)

Bristol Temple Meads had a barrow crossing at the London end and the platforms were not in line , was mainly used by Royal Mail even tho they had their own bag conveyor to platforms

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Larger (or maybe just the large ones) often had a goods lift that could, and was, used for wheelchair traffic.

The goods lift was the only disabled access at Leeds until the station was rebuilt in 1999-2002. The current 'Access for All' initiative is a very modern phenomenon.  

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

This rather grainy photo shows a barrow crossing a barrow crossing at Hereford, a moderately large station by the look of the track layout. 

If, on an exhibition layout, you have a dodgy connection and some paths through your station don't work, just park a trolley across the track. It looks as this one has got stuck.

2920 St David Hereford 10 8 1953.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

Selby is in the process of having a new footbridge with lift installed. The existing arrangement is for disabled people to pre-book assistance across the barrow crossing. Back in the day there were plenty of staff available to assist.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Anyone got a picture of a barrow crossing a barrow crossing at Barrow ? 😎

To which an immediate riposte might be which barrow crossing do you mean at which Barrow station?  I can't find a photo of the barrow crossing at Barrow-Upon-Soar but here is a picture which shows the barrow crossing at the old Barrow Central station before it was rebuilt (mainly as a consequence of the Luftwaffe's unfortunate efforts at the redevelopment of the town).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Barrow_Central_railway_station.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Some stations still have crossings at platform ends, usually with a red edged sign with a white light that goes out when a train is approaching, obviously staff only use.

Example here at Exeter..

E25210FF-0DC1-4557-9E4D-57622E07033B.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Older ladies using the barrow crossing under supervision at Loughborough Midland about 1955.

wLoughboroughMidlandcrossingtheline-notallowednow!c1955JBWImageU05.jpg.d9a10e34022fa6b305b0c1292d3a3a55.jpg

Loughborough Midland crossing the line - not allowed now! c1955 JBWImageU05

David

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Some stations still have crossings at platform ends, usually with a red edged sign with a white light that goes out when a train is approaching, obviously staff only use.

Example here at Exeter..

E25210FF-0DC1-4557-9E4D-57622E07033B.jpeg

At St Davids pre MAS there were no lights but a bell would ring when " vehicles or train " was approaching from Central

Barrow crossing at Burley-in-Wharfedale in the 1970s (not my picture).

The only use I recall was ladies pushing prams across it, the only other access to the Ilkley platform was via the footbridge back then.

The station lost its staff in the late 1960s but step free access wasn't put in until many years later so use of the crossing was unsupervised.    

I assume the gaslight at the extreme end of the picture was to illuminate the crossing.  

Burley barrow crossing.PNG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Barcaldinegoods said:

Barrow crossing at Burley-in-Wharfedale in the 1970s (not my picture).

The only use I recall was ladies pushing prams across it, the only other access to the Ilkley platform was via the footbridge back then.

The station lost its staff in the late 1960s but step free access wasn't put in until many years later so use of the crossing was unsupervised.    

I assume the gaslight at the extreme end of the picture was to illuminate the crossing.  

Burley barrow crossing.PNG

Non of the Settle to Carlisle stations had a footbridge except Appleby so all passengers had to use foot/barrow crossings , Giggleswick has a foot crossing only , there must be stations only accessable by foot crossing , Stogumber on the WSR being one .

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Stoke West said:

Non of the Settle to Carlisle stations had a footbridge except Appleby so all passengers had to use foot/barrow crossings , Giggleswick has a foot crossing only , there must be stations only accessable by foot crossing , Stogumber on the WSR being one .

Dovey Junction is only accessible by foot crossing. Battersby is only accessible by crossing, but I think it can be used by vehicles.

I think quite a few stations remain with only foot/barrow crossing access to the far platform.

• Like 1

Truro had a stretcher trolley (I'm sure it wasn't unique in that) and in the late 1960s I recall it being used to wheel a patient over the barrow crossing onto the up platform so that he/she could be inserted into a Mark 1 CK via the hinged inward opening window of the middle Second Class compartment (yes, these windows really were occasionally used for their intended purpose!)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Truro had a stretcher trolley (I'm sure it wasn't unique in that) and in the late 1960s I recall it being used to wheel a patient over the barrow crossing onto the up platform so that he/she could be inserted into a Mark 1 CK via the hinged inward opening window of the middle Second Class compartment (yes, these windows really were occasionally used for their intended purpose!)

Those compartments tended to be a bit draughty

• Like 1