Tortoise Point Motor Switch Wiring

sulzer71

Seems to me from what has been discussed my error was ordering a 3 position 2NO 2NC rather than a 2 position 2NO 2NC

I have some of the 'standard' type switches that people use on their way but the only reason I didn't choose these in the first place is because I wanted something a bit more 'fancy' so to speak

I am still going to order some of the 2 Position 2NO 2NC type ones as presently the layout doesn't have any track down once again so no great rush for them arriving

I'm sure if those don't do the job I'll find uses for them elsewhere 

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Seems to me from what has been discussed my error was ordering a 3 position 2NO 2NC rather than a 2 position 2NO 2NC

I have some of the 'standard' type switches that people use on their way but the only reason I didn't choose these in the first place is because I wanted something a bit more 'fancy' so to speak

I am still going to order some of the 2 Position 2NO 2NC type ones as presently the layout doesn't have any track down once again so no great rush for them arriving

I'm sure if those don't do the job I'll find uses for them elsewhere 

@5BarVT's post from the previous page says how you could wire your switches up, connecting the Tortoise to the C terminals and the power supply to the NO and NC terminals.

However, before you do that, I suggest you run a set of tests, either with a multimeter or with a power supply and device (like you did earlier, using just the pins on one side at a time), and noting what happens with all combinations of pins and switch positions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

@5BarVT's post from the previous page says how you could wire your switches up, connecting the Tortoise to the C terminals and the power supply to the NO and NC terminals.

However, before you do that, I suggest you run a set of tests, either with a multimeter or with a power supply and device (like you did earlier, using just the pins on one side at a time), and noting what happens with all combinations of pins and switch positions.

I will look into this also Jeremy , thanks

I'm now starting to wonder if I am connecting this  switch incorrectly , I have seen diagrams where this type of switch did not have the negative feed from the power supply connected to it at all , it went straight out to the negative side of the device , the switch had one connection to the common post and that was a positive feed?

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I'm now starting to wonder if I am connecting this  switch incorrectly , I have seen diagrams where this type of switch did not have the negative feed from the power supply connected to it at all , it went straight out to the negative side of the device , the switch had one connection to the common post and that was a positive feed?

For a Tortoise point motor with an ordinary 12V dc power supply, you need to switch both positive and negative.

If you are using the switch to power something that is either on or off, then you only need to switch positive or negative, and it does not matter which.

In the test you described earlier, you were switching the negative side. Although you mentioned connecting the positive side to one of the switch pins, this was not actually doing anything, and it need not have been connected to the switch at all: 

On 13/02/2024 at 08:33, sulzer71 said:

I have got one switch to do a normal function (turn on power to something) , for this I have wired a negative feed to the bottom left common post , then one from the same side of the NO to negative side of the device that needs switching on , my positive feed goes to the right pin on the NO and then to the device , I've found that you can do this on either side of the switch 

Turn the switch right and device switches on , turn it centre it's off , turn it left and nothing happens

When you do the same but on the NC pins it turns device on when switched to the left but also stays on when in the centre position , turn it right and the device goes off

36 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

For a Tortoise point motor with an ordinary 12V dc power supply, you need to switch both positive and negative.

If you are using the switch to power something that is either on or off, then you only need to switch positive or negative, and it does not matter which.

In the test you described earlier, you were switching the negative side. Although you mentioned connecting the positive side to one of the switch pins, this was not actually doing anything, and it need not have been connected to the switch at all: 

Thanks Jeremy , apart from simple bus wires I'm not clued up on electronics too much , I seriously think there's no possibility that this type of switch can be wired to reverse the polarity 

I'm going to order some of the 2 position 2NO 2NC type without the centre off , if they don't do the job then I'll have to resort to using the 'standard' type switch

• RMweb Gold

If you've got the 3-position version of the switch then the normal crossover wiring for a DPDT to reverse polarity is already built into the switch.

So have you tried this:

[Deleted incorrect diagram]

The centre off position will connect both Tortoise power connections to either 0V or +12V, which is fine.

Edited by Harlequin

3 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

If you've got the 3-position version of the switch then the normal crossover wiring for a DPDT to reverse polarity is already built into the switch.

So have you tried this:

image.png.10d74ce3d0ffd09004b40d973e79e24b.png

The centre off position will connect both Tortoise power connections to either 0V or +12V, which is fine.

I have indeed tried this configuration to no avail , throws the tortoise one way but then you need to switch the positive and negative to throw it the other way

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

So have you tried this:

image.png.10d74ce3d0ffd09004b40d973e79e24b.png

The other way round, surely. The red wire to both NO terminals and the black wire to both NC terminals (or vice versa). @sulzer71's already shown that one side works as an SPDT.

Edited by Jeremy Cumberland
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

The other way round, surely. The red wire to both NO terminals and the black wire to both NC terminals (or vice versa). @sulzer71's already shown that one side works as an SPDT.

Jeremy , that is one configuration I haven't tried funnily enough

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Yes, you're right. This:

image.png.5a9ec800a98aa393c19275ad01005915.png

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Yes, you're right. This:

image.png.5a9ec800a98aa393c19275ad01005915.png

Cheers , will give this a try this evening 

For the LED side of things I'm thinking it will be possible to place a jumper across from one of the positive and one of the negative feeds?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Cheers , will give this a try this evening 

For the LED side of things I'm thinking it will be possible to place a jumper across from one of the positive and one of the negative feeds?

It isn't clear how the LEDs are powered or switched. The page you link to in the very first post in this thread shows a different style of switch (an SPDT with red and green LEDs), with three pins to control the LED switching, which appears to be independent of the switch position.

Do your switches have one colour of LED or two?

If they have just one colour, my guess is that this lights when you connect the positive output from your power supply to the + terminal and the negative supply to the - terminal, and the switch position does not matter.

If they have two colours, then perhaps connecting the power supply to the + and - terminals the other way round will make it light in the second colour.

Conceivably some other pair of pins will light an LED, especially if there is more than one colour.

I suggest you experiment and see what you need to do to get the LED or LEDs to illuminate. Also, please tell us when you want the LED to be lit. All the time, or just with the points set one way?

Edited by Jeremy Cumberland

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

It isn't clear how the LEDs are powered or switched. The page you link to in the very first post in this thread shows a different style of switch (an SPDT with red and green LEDs), with three pins to control the LED switching, which appears to be independent of the switch position.

Do your switches have one colour of LED or two?

If they have just one colour, my guess is that this lights when you connect the positive output from your power supply to the + terminal and the negative supply to the - terminal, and the switch position does not matter.

If they have two colours, then perhaps connecting the power supply to the + and - terminals the other way round will make it light in the second colour.

Conceivably some other pair of pins will light an LED, especially if there is more than one colour.

I suggest you experiment and see what you need to do to get the LED or LEDs to illuminate. Also, please tell us when you want the LED to be lit. All the time, or just with the points set one way?

Jeremy , it's the ones later in my post not from the beginning so just separate positive and negative feeds although on the switch I have used to turn on some lights I have that wired so it will only come on when the switch is on so will need to experiment possibly to get that to function in the same manner

As below

Ha21a84cc7bae4789a33a884f970ead21Q.jpg

Edited by sulzer71

The help from everyone has been invaluable , think I'm going to look at the illumination of the switch itself which I managed to get working from jumping a positive and negative feed to but wouldn't mind seeing if I could rig it so it's on when switched left or right but off in the centre position

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

The help from everyone has been invaluable , think I'm going to look at the illumination of the switch itself which I managed to get working from jumping a positive and negative feed to but wouldn't mind seeing if I could rig it so it's on when switched left or right but off in the centre position

The internal LED (LEDs, plural?) is connected to one of the C common pins and the switch includes a resistor for the LED (that's what the voltage ratings on the side are about).

So, assuming that the switch is rated 12V, I think that bridging from one of the NC or NO pins (i.e. to 0v or +12v) to one or both of the LED pins should do the job. If the LED comes on in the wrong sense, connect to the other C pin.

Scrub that. It's wrong.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

If it is just one LED, I'd be inclined to connect one C pin to + and the other C pin to -. If the LED comes on for the wrong position, simply cross these wires over.

Yes, my previous suggestion was wrong. I think the two LED connectors are simple + and - across the internal LED and there's no internal connection to other parts of the switch.

Sorry, the way the product is described on AliExpress is a bit confusing!