Sound project for fireless loco?

Mol_PMB

I'm preparing to build a kit of a fireless steam loco. I was wondering whether anyone has done a sound project for a fireless steam loco (of any type). I suspect the answer is no, in which case there's little point me making provision for sound. But perhaps there's a fireless sound project out there somewhere?

There certainly have been some fireless locos run in preservation, but I must confess I've never heard one in use. I expect they sound quite different from a conventional steam loco, because there's no need for a sharp 'chuff' blast to draw the fire. No need for firehole door sounds or any of the other usual steam loco paraphernalia, but they usually have a bell instead of a whistle.

Any thoughts/tips?

Mol

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Will this do?

They just sound like a normal locomotive under light steam. Even shows it being refuelled.

Jason

That's really interesting - long time since I visited (it was more of an aircraft museum) then.

Not far from there was once an excellent model shop (trading as "The Model Shop", if memory serves).  Used to visit it more than half a century ago, but it's long gone.

Many thanks.

Without the need to create a blast to draw the fire, I'd assumed that the exhaust steam for a fireless loco would not be throttled, and would sound much softer when exhausted.

Looking at these various videos I think that is partly true, but there are still distinct chuffs when the exhaust valves open.

Hmmm, I'll give it some thought. I don't normally fit sound to steam locos (but I do with diesels), I was thinking this might sound interestingly different enough for it to be worth it.

If I were to fit sound, a bell rather than a whistle would be imperative. I note that Digitrains offer a Zimo decoder with sounds for the J70 tram engine which includes bell sounds, and some options on the steam exhaust sounds too. Might be an option?

I've got a couple of other projects to finish first, but I'm just trying to plan the scope for this one before I start building.

Cheers,

Mol

• Like 1

ZIMO also have a sound project for the Meiningen loco. Here is the documentation (in German), but I am  sure you all know how to deal with that :- Fireless Loco Bauart Meiningen

The sound project is encoded and you need to buy a code from the author (Matthias Henning), after downloading the sound project. He will need the Id of the ZIMO decoder you plan to use. This 4 digit Decoder Id is in CV #250 to #253, where each digit can be 0 to 255. After payment, you will get back a code which is also 4 digits, like the Decoder ID, and has to be written to CV #260 to #263 to activate (decode) the sound project. This is an easy way for authors to collect a modest fee (€12, I think) for the work creating the ZIMO sound project. His website is all in German, so I recommend you just email him and state the requirements. He will need the Decoder Id and the name of the Sound Project.

To download the sound project, go to the ZIMO Sound Database and search in the page (CTRL + F) for Meiningen and you will find the project. Click on the Green plus signs (twice) to expand all the details and click on the Sound Project (ZSP00745). This will download a ZIMO sound file (ending in .zpp). You will need a ZIMO system or a MXULFA (Decoder Update Device) to upload this to a ZIMO sound decoder. If you are interested in buying this sound project, email Mathhias for the code. His email address is <info@modellbau-henning.de>.

Cheers
John Russell (ZIMO Partner)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohninAustria said:

ZIMO also have a sound project for the Meiningen loco. Here is the documentation (in German), but I am  sure you all know how to deal with that :- Fireless Loco Bauart Meiningen

Cheers
John Russell (ZIMO Partner)

Many thanks John, that's very helpful. I'll take a look.

My thinking at the moment is that it's worth my trying to fit a sound chip and speaker in the model, and it looks like the more suitable options are mostly on Zimo chips.

I'm still some way off actually needing the chip, but it's good to plan in the provision from the start.

Cheers,

Mol