Removing paint from RTR models

EasternO

I have a Bachmann model that has yellow SYP ends but I'd like an all green version. Is there an easy way to remove just the yellow and retain the green underneath? I'd also like to change the numbering. If I have to respray, what colour green does Bachmann use?

I've tried searching but only got results that say people have done this but not how.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

You are assuming that the yellow is painted on top of green. If it is then using cotton buds gently apply IPA or enamel paint thinners on to the yellow area which with repeated rubbing should result in the yellow slowly come away. You will go through a number of buds to remove the paint and need to be careful so as to avoid removing the green as well. With patience and care you should be able to remove the yellow paint.   

Edited by young37215

Unlikely to be yellow over green. Yellow is notoriously translucent and will not cover a darker colour. I would speculate that the ends are painted yellow first before a moulded mask is applied and the remainder painted green.

It will not be possible to perfectly match the shade of green for a patch repaint - consequently a full repaint will be your route to a change of livery. Start by getting photos of the real loco then research the availability of suitable transfers - look at RailTec Transfers and Fox transfers for these. I would recommend Railmatch acrylics applied by airbrush - Howes Models for those.

A full repaint is not to be taken lightly - it requires plenty of practice as well as the right materials to complete the job.

• Agree 1

Depends how critical you are. I simply used brush applied Railmatch BR diesel green to expunge the yellow blobs. The colour match may not be absolutely perfect, but is as good as BR could manage in patch repaints. Once the ever present  filth is on, nobody will know.

Bachmann TTBOMK are still the benchmark in Tampo printing: letters, numbers, totems, lining etc. released in about thrty seconds by application of a little white spirit. So all their product is effectively the still often requested 'un-numbered item'.

Why other brands haven't picked up on this? It's perfect for the modeller, but then we aren't their prime customer...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1