K's ex LNER J50 ( J51? ) Bodyline

DCB

I acquired a made up  K's Bodyline J50 body with the intention of making a J50 Submarine ( or a Thompson Q1)    It's for a Hornby Dublo R1 chassis which is too short in the wheelbase and has a huge overhang at the rear.    Plan A was a Triang Jinty chassis which has the correct overall wheelbase albeit the middle axle is too  far back using modern 2000 era Hornby  wheels and rods with a 5 pole X04.
The trouble is the body length is right compared to the Roche(?) drawing but to fit the short H/D chassis the cab and more seriously the cab footsteps appear to be too far forward and the Bunker far too long.
I could flog it on eBay, use the tanks for a Thompson Q1  (one of the best looking locos ever IMHO) use the Lima body, blow £150 + on a new RTR version or ask for help.

What have other modellers done.      I can't live with the overhang.  Should I go for a short bunker J51 |(Thinking LNER days)   When did they get tarted up to J50s?    What have others done please.   Suggestions please.

5 hours ago, dcordingley said:

Run it on a Hornby Dublo 3-rail layout (mounted on an R1 chassis converted to 3-rail) and suspend disbelief concerning the wheelbase. The joys of coarse-scale modelling - well, it works for me...! 😀 

David C.

With that rear overhang I could use an 0-6-2T chassis.. I have a 3 rail test track planned  but this J50 is supposed to be for my son's LNER layout

2 hours ago, dcordingley said:

Yes, I think the K's body is pretty much a non-starter as the basis for a scale model. Strictly 1960s retro!

David  

It's correct dimensionally. I've checked. Something the Lima one never was as it was stretched (mostly upwards) to fit that awful motor in.

Seen loads of them with proper chassis and detailed. This is a K's one. Basic, but the body is accurate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295675478958?hash=item44d7a1c3ae:g:LyYAAOSw7P9kUq2X&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0A%2BE1OVFNAxUCE8j3cC9NuFZ2JZjaxJ0bzY1wnh9nyQj9MevGOveCEuJmlfLaRIuqTrkFtK%2F16XQVO%2F1n9uyfHJ8vGSX8JozVNXAxGxAjkb4bqlseNGC5MeDDiDZrpbOGF0mcQp6Ig76WCSULqk3nYckkWZYvd6gr2Hk7vibayJ2rh3%2F%2BGbzaA8RFtoCYkKBecs2w3D8VfFr7hXmCuYm4T6pQCRuJBC7AGkrhdBdNK%2FSIv2MHnehOrlVJySO%2B2tsw4piDHCr0IYz8XlqgfFVaH8%3D|tkp%3ABFBM6Ofbs5Vj

Wasn't someone on here selling J50 chassis?

There is also the High Level chassis and I have a sneaky feeling the "scale version" Mainly Trains J52 one will fit. Gibson also make milled brass frames.

But why not the Hornby version? They certainly aren't £150. I don't think they have made them for about five years when the price was about £80 brand new. Plenty on eBay for about £60 to £80. You could probably find some still on the shelves of small model shops.

Jason

5 hours ago, manna said:

It won't fit the K's Body as the coupling rod pins hit the massively thick cab footsteps.  The Hornby Jinty chassis is exactly right overall wheelbase and it fouls .   The Wrenn R1 chassis is shorter and the rods clear nicely, The bunker is ridiculously long, longer than any J50 or 51 variant.  Plan B is make it a short bunker J51 with a H/D or wrenn chassis , stick it on eBay and see if anyone will pay a few bob for it.  At least it will  have couplings unlike the link a couple of posts above.    Interesting lash ups J50/51  Built to use up surplus 2-2-2 and 0-8-2 tank boilers or so I understand.  Not sure why  Gresley used side tanks instead of the previous J52's saddle Tanks

• Like 1

I thinned down the cab footsteps and they now just clear the Hornby Rods.  I think it looks a lot better on the Hornby chassis than the Wrenn apart from the huge motor sticking up in the cab.

I tried the K's and Lima bodies on various chassis.   Plan B is a Triang Jinty with the motor lowered and driving the rear axle, Plan A the Hornby Jinty.    I quite like the 4-4-0T,Bit freelance  just needs smaller driving wheels....

DSCN2407.JPG

DSCN2410.JPG

DSCN2411.JPG

DSCN2414.JPG

• Like 1

On 27/12/2023 at 22:49, manna said:

I have both a K's J50 and brought one of Dave's chassis which I have not built yet

The K's body

Its of its time and must be between 50 and 60 years old, the body was beautifully made by someone else, as said the body has compromises as it was designed to fit a HD R1 chassis. it can be made into a decent model

It has a commercial milled brass (Jinty ) chassis with Romford wheels and brake gear, but sadly a Triang/Hornby 3 pole X03, this can easily altered by fitting a MW005 or D13 with a Triang motor mount.

Lima body

I have a second un-motorized Lima lima on an EM gauge etched chassis, the plastic steps replaced with etched ones and its rolls very well, so the issue with steps can be overcome

Dave's chassis

It is a very well designed chassis very competitively priced, easy fold up build for 00 gauge

As for all 3 items, I guess there are compromises in all cases, but when carefully built. each option can/will result in a super model. And when viewed from normal distances will look convincing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did a bit of filing to the chassis today filing the back lugs away and a notch at the front  with the silver weight removed in addition to filing away the footsteps on the K's body today and the body fits the Triang derived chassis a lot better than it ever did the Hornby.   Even works with scale  (H/D) buffer heights   Needs dummy boiler where the tank cut away lets light through   Plan A to flog it quick is slowly being set aside,  I see yet another out of period out of region item for my spare stock shelf.    But which number ?  Pre 1946,LNER  post 1946 NE    BR(?)

DSCN2568.JPG

DSCN2570.JPG

Edited by DCB
  • Like 2