Class 67 super detail issue

The Meerkat

2 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

How do you remove the bogie so as to oil the gears to cure a squeak?

In this context, the answer ought to be "Seemples!"

If only I knew what the answer really was ...

15 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

i got royal sovereign class 67 and it makes a racket of a squeal, but i think it is a case of sending it back to Hornby and letting them have ago?    

Sometimes a tiny drop of oil carefully applied to the motor bearings works wonders. If it is the gears, then a drop of oil can be applied to a visible gear and allowed to work its way round the rest of the gears.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Sometimes a tiny drop of oil carefully applied to the motor bearings works wonders. If it is the gears, then a drop of oil can be applied to a visible gear and allowed to work its way round the rest of the gears.

is there way to get to gearts or like i said above thats a Hornby job???

Without taking my 67 apart (it’s not the latest example, so might not be a good guide) I can’t say. However, with the body off, I’d guess that an oiler with a long application needle, such as offered by Woodland Scenics, should be able to reach a gear somewhere. Sorry not to be more helpful.

Just now, No Decorum said:

Without taking my 67 apart (it’s not the latest example, so might not be a good guide) I can’t say. However, with the body off, I’d guess that an oiler with a long application needle, such as offered by Woodland Scenics, should be able to reach a gear somewhere. Sorry not to be more helpful.

No your being very helpful

i  used one them oiled were i could but still makes a nose, i dont no if its the motor or gears tbh

2 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

No your being very helpful

i  used one them oiled were i could but still makes a nose, i dont no if its the motor or gears tbh

Hm. Well, if you have oiled the motor bearings and oiled where you could elsewhere, perhaps it is a job for Hornby. Please let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To remove a bogie, you have to gently prise off the cap on top of the gear tower.

67bogie.jpg.c9ef0d3ace32b8bd844dc3f6e29f0bad.jpg

There is also the option of removing the keeper plate/bogie moulding from underneath

image.png.fd2ad4d923ffb9ef2f9f13ddcf49aab4.png

Edited by newbryford

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

To remove a bogie, you have to gently prise off the cap on top of the gear tower.

67bogie.jpg.c9ef0d3ace32b8bd844dc3f6e29f0bad.jpg

There is also the option of removing the keeper plate/bogie moulding from underneath

image.png.fd2ad4d923ffb9ef2f9f13ddcf49aab4.png

hi sorry to sound dumb but is this for super detail version or the railroad?

4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Does it look like the one you've got?

Images are from google

i just had a look at both and the photos show its the the super detail one which is what i got,  thank you very much for taking time and effort on finding and posting them photos,  :D

Meerkat if I understand what you’re describing I would say it’s a bit of a Hornby feature that has affected several of my Class 60s and 56s after a few years.  I’ve found the solution in each case is a tiny drop of oil onto the top of the gear tower where the shaft from the motor enters, and same on other side. I’ve only ever had to treat any of my models once so far - not had an affected 67 yet though. Sounds like a screeching noise coming from within the loco?

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Meerkat if I understand what you’re describing I would say it’s a bit of a Hornby feature that has affected several of my Class 60s and 56s after a few years.  I’ve found the solution in each case is a tiny drop of oil onto the top of the gear tower where the shaft from the motor enters, and same on other side. I’ve only ever had to treat any of my models once so far - not had an affected 67 yet though. Sounds like a screeching noise coming from within the loco?

hi yes  it seems to have died down abit with oil but noise is still there,  not like the TFW 67 and its same model