GWR Cattle Truck Roofs

Hi all,

I've just managed to get hold of a number of Cooper Craft W1/5 cattle truck kits.  I'm planning to alter the ends, buffers and underframes to make some later W8 and W10 types.

Does anyone know what the roofs were like? Did they have the metal bands or were they plain?

Many thanks in advance

Will

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, WillCav said:

Hi all,

I've just managed to get hold of a number of Cooper Craft W1/5 cattle truck kits.  I'm planning to alter the ends, buffers and underframes to make some later W8 and W10 types.

Does anyone know what the roofs were like? Did they have the metal bands or were they plain?

Many thanks in advance

Will

I think W8 and W10 were different. W10 had the higher pitched roof and I'm pretty sure no ribs. Photos on Flickr look plain. W8 is the one slaters make in 7mm which is shallower and theirs has ribs.

Edit: ignore re W8, I've obviously got this wrong

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Hal, Miss P and Jason for your replies.

I've had another look through my books and it looks like:

W8

Lot L758 (100) - roof ribs visible and slots in end when built

L859 (50) - ?

L879 (300) - plain roofs in later photos and slots in ends removed

L961 (150) - ?

L980 (100) - ?

W10

L922 (300 until 1939 then 170) - plain roofs

Unfortunately, only one W8 survives and I think only the framing skeleton exists.

No W10s were preserved but 130 were converted to Y10s and some bodies still exist - with plain roofs.

Thanks

Will

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, WillCav said:

Unfortunately, only one W8 survives and I think only the framing skeleton exists.

No W10s were preserved but 130 were converted to Y10s and some bodies still exist - with plain roofs.

Probably explains why there are nowhere near as many images knocking about as you usually get!

The acquired wagons of British Railways vol 4 shows W8 W68442 in the 50s with no ribs. Rest of my wagon specific books haven't got anything.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Probably explains why there are nowhere near as many images knocking about as you usually get!

The acquired wagons of British Railways vol 4 shows W8 W68442 in the 50s with no ribs. Rest of my wagon specific books haven't got anything.

I've just had a look in Atkins Beard etc and it shows the W8s all being in the 26xxx, 103xxx and 106xxx ranges.  68442 appears in the earlier W5 list. I haven't got the book you mentioned, is the roof an earlier flatter profile or like a regular Mink?

Thanks

Will

16 minutes ago, WillCav said:

is the roof an earlier flatter profile or like a regular Mink?

The Morgan Design roof etch (availble through the Scalefour Society) includes a template for reshaping the Coopercraft ends to W1/5 profile with replacement strapping.

Kit part on top of the template to show the difference in profiles (not lined up for where you would reshape).

Edit - Don't forget the later types were also wider than W1/5 too

image.png.35b953a1ee25b92bb80116679e90d247.png

Edited by 41516
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, WillCav said:

is the roof an earlier flatter profile or like a regular Mink?

it's definitely a later one, caption says W8 and has the higher roof and the diagonal framing on the two outside sections, rather than an X. I can't quite tell if there is a rain strip but definitely isn't ribbed.

Occurs to me I went back to look up the number as an after thought and might have read it off the wrong caption as the pic above was a w5. I'll confirm later.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 41516 said:

Don't forget the later types were also wider than W1/5 too

I hadn't spotted that and I've converted a whole lot of W1/5 ends.

I might have to forget that I know they're too narrow and hope the cows don't complain!

Thanks

Will

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, WillCav said:

I've just had a look in Atkins Beard etc and it shows the W8s all being in the 26xxx, 103xxx and 106xxx ranges.  68442 appears in the earlier W5 list. 

I had read the wrong caption - its W106564 and says "taken in the early 1950s, is an ex GWR Diagram W8 8T vacuum braked...."

curvy roof, looks completely smooth, 100% sure there are no ribs but cant tell if there are rain strips as the light is bouncing off it

Edit - btw it has self contained buffers. Obviously dont know it they are original but something else to consider. Still has Dean brake gear though.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I find the W diagrams in the bible a bit confusing for the widths, but I think the W1/W5 is 7'11" over stanchions, whereas the W8/W10 are 8'4" over stanchions. Is that right?

Depends on the stanchion depth, Fig 394 shows the W5 as 7' 5" over sides. W8 (fig395) and W10 (fig396) are indeed shown as 8' 4" over stanchions.

• Agree 1

2.75" stanchion depth is my usual approximate assumption, although there were variations in section. The lack of this information is why I find some of the bible's drawings a bit confusing.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks to the new number from Hal, and adding detail from my books, we get the following. 

W8

Lot L758 26xxx + 26392-438 (100)

26001 (Atkins 567 and Russell GW Wagons Appendix 211) roof ribs visible and slots in end when built

L859 26xxx + 26439-50 (50)

No pictures found yet

L879 103001-300 (300)

103141 (Russell GW Wagons 48) &

103168 (Russell GW Wagons Appendix 213) both plain roofs and slots in ends removed in later years 

L961 106301-450 (150)

No pictures found yet

L980 106551-600 (100)

106564 plain roof and no slots in the ends in later years

W10

L922  106001-300 (300 until 1939 then 170) - 106026 (Atkins 568) plain roofs, no end slots when built.

Unfortunately, the 130 converted to Y10 were seemingly random within the number series but Atkins has five Y10 numbers to avoid if you're modelling post 1939.

Thanks

Will

Edited by WillCav
Adding no slots detail to 106564
  • Informative/Useful 1