Hornby Lord Nelson Motor Needed

kelsh003

Hi there,

I recently acquired one of the 2017 Hornby releases of the Lord Nelson, R3635. However, the motor is sadly quite noisy and annoying, even if it is a smooth runner.

I have tried Hornby to no avail re a new motor, and can't find anything from online searches, so wondered if anyone knew where I could get one from, or had one they could sell me?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, kelsh003 said:

new motor

Check out ebay seller "bee_studio". He has a lot of model motors that are direct replacements most loco's. e.g. item no. 254442571313

19 minutes ago, kelsh003 said:

Do you have any experience of those motors etc, and know if they fit in the Lord Nelson? My other worry is flywheel removal/replacement

Also saw this re replacing a Q6 motor with other Hornby 5-poles so wondered if that could be done on this loco https://longsheds.blogspot.com/2019/10/no-152-remotoring-Hornby-q6.html

A quick scroll through shows these. 254825071654. Check shaft diameter. 1.5 or 2.0mm.

I have used a few of his motors in the past with no issues apart from a light file of the motor mount to get a snug fit. Not done a Nelson though.

Edited by 33C
added detail

Hmmm...I'd be wary of trying remove a flywheel, I'm not sure if I have the expertise/tools for that.

I'd be happier to just buy another motor ie the 9F one for it, but concerned re flywheel diameter/motor diameter etc

Thanks, I might give that a go.

Might try a 9F motor in it first. Supposedly it fits the B12, which has the same motor as the S15 and the same as the Lord Nelson? So worth a punt, and I could always return the motor if no avail.

If you go on the Hornby website, at the top click 'Support' then 'Product Support' and then 'Service Sheets'. This shows all locos they have produced since production moved to China I believe.

Each loco service sheet lists all the parts with catalogue numbers so you can find out if the motors are the same. Look for the Lord Nelson motor first and then it is a case of finding a match.

The downside is that it can be a bit tedious and they probably won't have any stock.

Peters Spares may be worth a try, or failing that once you have the catalouge number try a Google search. . . 'Hornby Xxxxx'.

10 hours ago, jimwal said:

If you go on the Hornby website, at the top click 'Support' then 'Product Support' and then 'Service Sheets'. This shows all locos they have produced since production moved to China I believe.

Each loco service sheet lists all the parts with catalogue numbers so you can find out if the motors are the same. Look for the Lord Nelson motor first and then it is a case of finding a match.

The downside is that it can be a bit tedious and they probably won't have any stock.

Peters Spares may be worth a try, or failing that once you have the catalouge number try a Google search. . . 'Hornby Xxxxx'.

I did have a good look via that method, couldn't find a single motor, same with the S15. For now I've taken a plunge with a 9F motor (2021 release) but I will keep looking for a Nelly motor. Super frustrating as the model is gorgeous

13 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Lendons of Cardiff do a huge range of Hornby Spares.

Phil 

They have nothing in stock on their site but I have dropped an e-mail to inquire.

I have ordered one of the new 9F motors, as suggestions point to it, the S15 and B12 all sharing the same motor or at least the casing, so just taking a punt really and I can easily return said motor if need be.

• Informative/Useful 1

As it turns out, its not the motor. But the shaft that links the motor to the worm broke, and someone has DIY'd it together via metal and it is vibrating like mad.

I've circled the bit I am on about in this image attached.

Does anyone know how that could be replaced, ie is it a standard component?

9F Shaft.jpg

3 minutes ago, micklner said:

Look on the Hornby service sheet .

Already have. The sheet doesn't list the actual joint, just the shaft and calls it "Universal gear and shaft" and googling the X number doesn't reveal any results. 

It may be included with the gear set. Look on the service sheet to see if it is shown within a dotted encircled line with the gears. Yoi may need to enlarge the display to show the detail.

Well it looks like this is concluded! Ordered the 9F worm drive that included the joint between it and the motor, that small black piece. It fit between the two and the Nelson is now running as it should, nice and quiet and with the new 9F motor inside it.

• Like 2