Query about Bachmann coaches

Enfys_Rainbow

Hi all,

First a disclaimer - I know nothing about coaches, prototype or model. I've never paid any attention other than them being somewhere to sit when travelling!

I've started looking at the Bachmann models recently, especially the Mk1 and Mk2's.

The various models have a letter, eg 39-025A (MK1 SK) as part of the product code with others being labelled B, C, D etc.

Do the letters denote different releases or something else?

In the case of the SK, the only difference I can spot is the "A" version has visible roof ribs and the "E" version doesn't. Is it just the case of the model being updated with each release?

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow

22 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hi all,

First a disclaimer - I know nothing about coaches, prototype or model. I've never paid any attention other than them being somewhere to sit when travelling!

I've started looking at the Bachmann models recently, especially the Mk1 and Mk2's.

The various models have a letter, eg 39-025A (MK1 SK) as part of the product code with others being labelled B, C, D etc.

Do the letters denote different releases or something else?

In the case of the SK, the only difference I can spot is the "A" version has visible roof ribs and the "E" version doesn't. Is it just the case of the model being updated with each release?

Matt

The usual practice is to do an identical re-run but with a different running number; these are identified with a letter suffix to the product code. In this particular case, there was criticism that the roof ribs were too prominent, so later versions were modified.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

In this particular case, there was criticism that the roof ribs were too prominent, so later versions were modified.

Further to this: the incorrect* roof rib representations on the Mk1gangwayed carriages applies to all the original tranche of 9 introductions: 
SK, SO, BSK, CK, FK, BG, BCK, RFO/RU, Super BG.

All were subsequently upgraded to flush roofs. I have no idea which suffix letter indicates the first upgraded version for all these (keep in mind that each vehicle will have carried multiple liveries and each vehicle type and livery combination is catalogued under a unique number.

IMO it is best left to visual examination in the case of s/h purchases: vehicle in incorrect box is a commonplace...

The later mk1 releases: RMB, GUV, mk1 based Pullman cars, Sleepers, Post Office vehicles, were introduced with flush roofs.

*BR's mk1 had welds between the 4' wide steel roof panels, which welds were made on a precision jig, such that no further finishing was required following welding, to ensure that the seams were not visible once painted. 

• Like 5

Thank you for the replies, most informative.

Given the (lack of) availability of the later, flush roofed Mk1's and the high cost when they do pop up, I've decided to tackle this the hard way on my own models by sanding them down. Progress can be followed on my workbench topic if anyone is interested.

Matt

21 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I've decided to tackle this the hard way on my own models by sanding them down.

Alternative suggestion, the long established plastic modelling technique of 'dragging' a new scalpel blade over the raised item. With a little practice with a curved blade it is possible to  'disappear' the raised rib flush with the roof, leaving the paint almost untouched. The blade is positioned with the cutting edge perpendicular to the rib, and then dragged along it, this is very quick, needs about three passes to remove a rib. I find that a blade about does a coach roof for best results. (The blades go into the 'B grade' box for regular cutting purposes.

(I need a good light for optimum results and do this task in summer sunshine.)

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
found the old thread on mk1 roof rib removal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Alternative suggestion, the long established plastic modelling technique of 'dragging' a new scalpel blade over the raised item. With a little practice with a curved blade it is possible to  'disappear' the raised rib flush with the roof, leaving the paint almost untouched. The blade is positioned with the cutting edge perpendicular to the rib, and then dragged along it, this is very quick, needs about three passes to remove a rib. I find that a blade about does a coach roof for best results. (The blades go into the 'B grade' box for regular cutting purposes.

(I need a good light for optimum results and do this task in summer sunshine.)

Good reminder there. However I'd suggest Enfys tries both methods, as the sanding actually makes the Roof look more like the covering material and a light weathering...IF done carefully of course. 

What I found was the Ventilators 'got in the way' of a regular sanding movement. Also the damn Water Tank Pipes.

I'd not sand a Restaurant vehicle with all those extra Vents!

On 14/01/2024 at 09:28, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Further to this: the incorrect* roof rib representations on the Mk1gangwayed carriages applies to all the original tranche of 9 introductions: 
SK, SO, BSK, CK, FK, BG, BCK, RFO/RU, Super BG.

All were subsequently upgraded to flush roofs. I have no idea which suffix letter indicates the first upgraded version for all these (keep in mind that each vehicle will have carried multiple liveries and each vehicle type and livery combination is catalogued under a unique number.

IMO it is best left to visual examination in the case of s/h purchases: vehicle in incorrect box is a commonplace...

The later mk1 releases: RMB, GUV, mk1 based Pullman cars, Sleepers, Post Office vehicles, were introduced with flush roofs.

*BR's mk1 had welds between the 4' wide steel roof panels, which welds were made on a precision jig, such that no further finishing was required following welding, to ensure that the seams were not visible once painted. 

In addition, the Sleeper cars and the Post Office vehicles have the NEM pocket in the close-coupling mechanism at the correct height. All other Bachmann Mk1 vehicles have a "long stepped" coupling... which is different than the "short" stepped coupling that appeared on wagons from the 2000s!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2024 at 15:28, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Although wear and possibly repairs do show up with age.

P7040451crop2.jpg.71931c116b61be3f0b95670992008fde.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Although wear and possibly repairs do show up with age.

Indeed they do, but still way more subtle than the huge representations Bachmann originally provided; and if the date on the pic is correct that's a 50+ y.o. specimen. (I suspect most of 'wear' making the welds apparent is from flexing of the roof panels during operation, the welds slightly stiffer than the panel material; I have never seen an engineering analysis.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Some did have a much more prominent rib from an earlier date.

Nice one behind a blue Crompton at Reading.

Hairstyle and flares suggest pre-Punk era, probably early to mid 1970s.

I've got a more recent one amongst my pictures which is very similar. I wonder if it's anything to do with the reduction in roof crud since the end of steam?

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I've got a more recent one amongst my pictures which is very similar. I wonder if it's anything to do with the reduction in roof crud since the end of steam?

And then there are photos of the new mk1s in service from the early fifties, with the roofs in shiny pale grey paint 'just released into traffic' condition and photographed in bright sunshine, and the roofs are smooth throughout. (Sadly all such in copyright of those with good photographic kit at that time...)

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And then there are photos of the new mk1s in service from the early fifties, with the roofs in shiny pale grey paint 'just released into traffic' condition and photographed in bright sunshine, and the roofs are smooth throughout.

I can remember standing at Clifton Road bridge south of Rugby and seeing some like that, aluminium paint IIRC, straight out of Wolverton in 1960.

• Like 1