Extending the Kato Circus concept

• RMweb Gold

That's a nice build and what a layout it will become. Thanks also for highlighting the kits, new to me.

I see there's a website here, and that Train Trax stock them.

Edited by Mikkel
Deleted irrelevant bit
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, loved seeing these at Warley.

Going to get expensive, I love pandas.....!!

https://www.kato-dioramakit.com/panda

The Steam booklet on N gauge dioramas is available via Kindle for anyone interested. Is really good intro aimed at school age children and covers topic like perspective, seasons, viewing angles as well as actual making things.

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Excellent, loved seeing these at Warley.

Going to get expensive, I love pandas.....!!

https://www.kato-dioramakit.com/panda

The Steam booklet on N gauge dioramas is available via Kindle for anyone interested. Is really good intro aimed at school age children and covers topic like perspective, seasons, viewing angles as well as actual making things.

Wow I hadn’t seen the panda one, I think we might have to get one of those.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jmg123 said:

Wow I hadn’t seen the panda one, I think we might have to get one of those.

Sadly it appears they were in Japan only and are sold out 😪 but if you find some let me know!

13 hours ago, Mikkel said:

That's a nice build and what a layout it will become. Thanks also for highlighting the kits, new to me.

I see there's a website here, and that Train Trax stock them.

Yes, I found train trax afterwards, and bought some extra bits from them. The service was good.

• Like 2

I've been thinking a bit about controlling the model

Currently all but 3 of my 009 locos have DCC decoders, but none of my N Gauge locos do. 

Ideally I want to be able to drive DCC and non-DCC locos, from one of my DCC controllers, without the annoying whine you get when running analogue locos with address zero.  As an added bonus it would also be nice to have sound that can work on locos without a sound decoder.

My plan is to use a spare Hornby HM7000 Bluetooth/DCC sound decoder hidden in the slot beneath the diorama.  One of the outputs will be connected to a relay, to allow the Hornby decoder to switch the track feed between DCC from the controller, and analogue coming out of the motor connections of the HM7000 Decoder.

When running with a DCC loco, the relay switches track feed directly to DCC, and the HM7000 will be used in consist mode to still provide sound. Then when running an analogue loco, the relay switches the track feed to the motor output from the HM7000.

IMG_0666.png

wiring.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

I finally got the hm7000 wired up, the relay works a treat, allowing the switch between dcc and analogue.

Consisting the loco with the hm7000 sound decoder worked ok, just need d to tweak the acceleration and deceleration rate. 

Video here

the wiring job was not particularly pretty, as the surface mount pads on the decoder are tiny, but the speaker is surprisingly loud.

IMG_0669.jpeg.93ea860ba6360f42ec392d9901ddedd2.jpeg

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I don't understand the electronics (not my strong point!) that does seem a very neat solution and an imaginative application of the 7000 concept.

Extrapolating it and with provisos, if I've understood it(?) effectively you can run a layout, particularly a small or micro layout, with one 7000 decoder that allows allow existing DCC and DC stock to operate with sound?

• RMweb Premium

Nice ideas!

Be careful when powering the track from the HM7000. As the wires would normally be connected directly to the motor I'd be surprised if there much protection against short circuits

Steven B

• RMweb Premium

I had a try at this with powering a track through a DCC decoder - on a small layout (inglenook) - it didn't work for me.

Because you've got The Track (and its imperfections) between you and the motor, rather than direct wires, you add a point of failure that the technology wasn't really designed to cater for - you can't have a "stay alive" for instance, so you can't deal with imperfections in your track laying/cleaning capabilities.

it was a pity because I read about how it was the best way to set up Zero-1 modules!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1