The BTC "Preserved Engines List"

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NZRedBaron said:

I've been trying to look around for a while to find details about this fabled document, but to no avail; does anyone know where it could be? Or at least, know what engines were on it?

The document, if it exists will be in the national archives.

(I say if it exists' because the list wasn't some sort of grand stand alone thing produced by a noteworthy person -  it was simply a business document no different to the thousands of other lists that the BR board created to help it run its affairs)  

As to which engines were on it - it was basically all of the ones which ended up under the ownership of the Science Museum Group (i.e. NRM) and are usually refereed to as 'The National Collection' plus a few others which the BR later decided were not 'worthy' of preservation so got scrapped instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rolling_stock_items_in_the_UK_National_Collection

Edited by phil-b259

It does exist. It was a proper printed pamphlet.

I saw a copy a few years ago in the reference library in Liverpool and it has been shown in magazines a few times. Railway Magazine has certainly had an article about it. Maybe have a look in a major city centre library for a copy? Although might be difficult if you are in NZ!

ISTR one of the RCTS year books also printed the list.

Don't take wiki as evidence of anything. Flying Scotsman wasn't on it for a start although 60113 was, even though it had been rebuilt!

Locos certainly changed and there was a lot more than actually did survive. Often locomotives selected were in poor condition or altered too much.

Off the top of my head....

King Arthur rather than Sir Lamiel

30119 instead of 30120

30900 rather than 30925

71000 Duke Of Gloucester

70000 Britannia 

A 73XXX presumably the first one

It just said GWR Pannier Tank with no identity

Ben Alder

Claud Hamilton

SR Z Class

NER J21 - different number to the one now preserved

LMS Duchess

LMS 10000

There was also mention of offering locomotives for display in regional museums which in one of the articles wasn't taken up by many. I believe that is why City Of Birmingham was chosen as Birmingham wanted one.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

The National Archives catalogue is online. See link below.

If you put into the search function "preservation" you get a list come up.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=preservation&_p=1950&_hb=tna&_d=AN

AN 172/262 Preservation of historical locomotives 1946 Jan 01 - 1964 Apr 30  seems to be the file most likely to provide the must fabled list

though AN 104/4 Transport Act 1962: papers on schemes for relics and records could also prove useful.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Was this not the list of preserved locomotives that could be found in the Ian Allan spotting books, the 'National Collection' as it existed in the 60s.  The locos were those on display at the Science Museum and the old York Railway Museum, plus those stored at Brighton, later Stratford.  Britannia and Evening Star were included but still in service. 

I might be thinking of something else entirely.

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Was this not the list of preserved locomotives that could be found in the Ian Allan spotting books, the 'National Collection' as it existed in the 60s.  The locos were those on display at the Science Museum and the old York Railway Museum, plus those stored at Brighton, later Stratford.  Britannia and Evening Star were included but still in service. 

I might be thinking of something else entirely.

Amazing coincidence. This morning I had a good tidy up of my office ( too cold in the garage so I thought I would bring some figures in to paint) and amongst the strata of railway related debris was an Ian Allen Spotters Notebook. And yes it has a list of locomotives which were to be part of a National Collection.

Funny thing is: I was never a spotter and haven’t a clue where it came from. Perhaps one of the girls found it in a charity shop......

Edited by doilum

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

IIRC the list was at the back of the 'Steam Locomotives' book; it was definitely at the back oc the 'Combined Volume'.

Yes, in sections: 

- Locomotives preserved by the railway companies before 1948

- Locomotives preserved by the British Transport Commission

- Locomotives donated since 1953

- Locomotives scheduled for preservation 1960

(From the Summer 1962 Combine)

There are inaccuracies. For example, in “Locomotives preserved by the British Transport Commission” (note the past tense) ‘Ben Alder’ is listed. (That is the Highland Railway ‘Small Ben’ class No. 2, not the esteemed member of this parish.)

Edited by pH

11 minutes ago, pH said:

Yes, in sections: 

- Locomotives preserved by the railway companies before 1948

- Locomotives preserved by the British Transport Commission

- Locomotives donated since 1953

- Locomotives scheduled for preservation 1960

(From the Summer 1962 Combine)

There are inaccuracies. For example, in “Locomotives preserved by the British Transport Commission” (note the past tense) ‘Ben Alder’ is listed. (That is the Highland Railway ‘Small Ben’ class No. 2, not the esteemed member of this parish.)

Ben Alder was preserved at the time though.

Scrapped in 1966 due to it having the wrong boiler thirteen years after being preserved in 1953.

I remember another one that was scrapped after being officially preserved was one of the J70s (or possibly a Y6). 

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The 1962 list of engines to be preserved (i.e. not including those already preserved) was published contemporaneously in vaeu ious magazines including  The Railway Magazine abnd Trains Illustrated/Modern Railways (I can't remember  offhand when the title changed)

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Ben Alder was preserved at the time though.

We’re getting into semantics here, but I think a better description would be “set aside for possible future preservation”. 

I never saw HR no. 2. I did see 54398 in a couple of Glasgow area sheds, though.

11 minutes ago, JimC said:

Pretty much. The one I saw was a printed pamphlet of about eight to ten pages and did have a few minor differences.

No idea if I could find it again as the library was totally gutted a few years ago.

Jason

Back in my office. The correct title of this notebook is "Loco Logbook".

"List of steam locomotives preserved and scheduled by the British Railways Board." The list has 76 locomotives some of which are still in service .

I can't help wondering why this historical list is now of interest.  It would have made sense at the time it was produced, but since then what is "officially" preserved and what actually exists in preservation generally have both changed somewhat, and can be expected to continue to change over time.

• Like 1

A bit of an update.

I was at the National Archives yesterday looking at the minutes of the Railway Executive in the early 1950s, and even then they were thinking about locomotive preservation. Riddles met with the SLS and the Newcommen Society to put together a wish list if you like of locomotive types that should be preserved. It was quite short initially.They had concerns about where the locos would be kept and so thought about having models made of key examples of steam locomotives which could be used to illustrate the story.

The list was in two parts, locos already withdrawn and put to one side which included 41000 the Midland compound, and Ben Alder. Of possible locos to preserve an ex LNER K3 was listed.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2024 at 21:51, Michael Hodgson said:

I can't help wondering why this historical list is now of interest.  It would have made sense at the time it was produced, but since then what is "officially" preserved and what actually exists in preservation generally have both changed somewhat, and can be expected to continue to change over time.

That's exactly why I stopped buying 'Rail' magazine. The Class 37/0 was being modified to 37/5 & 37/7 and the list of likely candidates in order, was in the mag each issue. However the list kept changing and it just got tedious. Better to have waited to see what actually came out of the workshops!

On 19/01/2024 at 10:51, Michael Hodgson said:

Because it changed? It's vastly interesting to many of us.

Just think of the locos on the list at various times that no longer exist and then wonder why we are interested.

Great Northern

Claud Hamilton

Ben Alder

King Arthur

GER J70 or Y6

LNER K3

Going back a bit further we had such engines as Midlothian which was meant to go in the LNER Museum but was scrapped twice!

Locomotives of this class were withdrawn from service in the 1930s. Two in 1933, one in 1934, three in 1935, then eight in 1936, and eight in 1937. The final locomotive withdrawn was Midlothian in December 1937. In a remarkable piece of railway history, an order was issued that Midlothian should be preserved for the nation, as an example of such an important class of locomotive, but the order was not received until after the engine had been scrapped at Cowlairs. So that the national collection was not denied a Class H engine, Midlothian (whose component parts were mostly still in existence, and frame still fully intact) was painstakingly rebuilt, and returned to service for transfer to the LNER Railway Museum at York (which later formed part of the basis of the National Railway Museum). Several parts of the locomotive had been disposed of, including one main connecting rod, and these were built new for the restored engine. Unfortunately, just a few months later the Second World War commenced, and there was a massive demand for metal to produce aircraft for the war effort. The newly rebuilt Midlothian was withdrawn from the museum stock, and scrapped for a second time, to provide aircraft-building materials

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBR_H_class

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1