Lochdubh - Gateway to the Isles in the 1980s…

5 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Very nice layout full stop James. This era and location (Scottish Highlands) are also a great inspiration to me.

My next layout will be something similar-ish, although 4mm rather than 2mm.

Matt

Thank you Matt, and good luck with your own project!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Have spent the weekend reading through the thread ... very slowly, which just felt right, somehow for this particular journey.

You've created a piece of Highland 'ambience' there James that immediately transports the viewer to the time and location ... it's one of those silent pieces .... where the mind then immediately starts to fill ones head with the appropriate sounds of the loco, the seagulls, the occasional vehicle crossing the bridge and best of all the the sounds and smells of a Highland Loch going about it's natural buisness ! Marvelous.

Regards,

Ian (a self confessed Scottish romantic all of his life ... despite being born and bred a die hard Yorkshireman ! LoL)

Edited by 03060
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hi James,

I had a scan back through your posts and can't 100% ascertain what track standard you go for on your 2mm/n gauge layouts. I'm thinking of dabbling in something similar as a small distraction from my normal O and OO gauge stuff.

You mention on your Blue 37 lowering bit that you did not intend to change the wheels suggesting you use N gauge models on British finescale track? So you don't convert to pure 2mm standards?

I am thinking of going to 2mm but I am wary of adding the complication and expense of changing wheel sets - and sticking to split chassis Graham Farish stuff for locos. You show that this is not necessary for fantastic results (assuming my assumption is correct!).

Can you confirm your track choice - and if it is N gauge or 2mm FS?

Thanks for sharing, and inspiring.

James

Edited by jamest

4 hours ago, jamest said:

Can you confirm your track choice - and if it is N gauge or 2mm FS?

Thanks for sharing, and inspiring.

James

The track is British Finescale code 40, in N gauge.

It is not 2mm finescale.

5 hours ago, 03060 said:

Have spent the weekend reading through the thread ... very slowly, which just felt right, somehow for this particular journey.

You've created a piece of Highland 'ambience' there James that immediately transports the viewer to the time and location ... it's one of those silent pieces .... where the mind then immediately starts to fill ones head with the appropriate sounds of the loco, the seagulls, the occasional vehicle crossing the bridge and best of all the the sounds and smells of a Highland Loch going about it's natural buisness ! Marvelous.

Regards,

Ian (a self confessed Scottish romantic all of his life ... despite being born and bred a die hard Yorkshireman ! LoL)

Ian - thank you. That is a wonderful reflection, I’m glad to have taken you there…

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The childhood railway experiences of mine were two contrasts. The full fat bright colours of British Rail sectorisation on hand at Chester station with the desaturated black-and-white imagery found in books at the library…

IMG_3967.jpeg

I have found myself expanding my model collection with less attention, perhaps intention to specific modelling projects. This ‘scope creep’ goes beyond existing layouts to dreams of new ones, attracted by images in books, videos on YouTube or snatches of long forgotten memories. A refocus brings what is important more clearly into sharp relief. This morning I put out a few of my Scottish models, enjoying their small form, the work of Chinese toolmakers and my hand in artful weathering. 

These feel welcome, calming, I feel at home amongst them.

Lochdubh continues to delight, and whilst dreams of a larger exhibition style project based upon my imaginary branch line linger I continue to feel very much in love with this incredibly small slice of the Scottish Highlands.

I opened with a reflection on ‘de-saturation’ in terms of experience of the prototype. I continued with the idea that through refocusing our modelling we can feel a lifting of the weight. 

The weight of expectation that all these items will one day require a layout! 

De-saturation if you like, space to breathe…

Until next time, more soon…

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst today’s Class 158s on the Far North will surely be facing the same fate, it is the Class 26 that will always, for me, be the most sorely missed…

IMG_4118.jpeg

The autumn of 1984 proved to be the last chance to catch Sulzer type 2 power on the Kyle branch with the commissioning of the RETB (Radio Electric Token Block) system and introduction of the Class 37. As a child at the time I was blissfully unaware of that loss, instead stuck in my library book time lag where the plucky BoBos plied the route with their short Mk1 coach trains. 

IMG_4116.jpeg

The Dapol N gauge model is a wonderful capture of the character of the prototype. A few errors, which I live with - the shade of blue being the worst offender! Sat on Lochdubh, today I have created my own time machine. As the tardis, bigger on the inside my little slice of Scotland proves time and again to be a wonderful tonic and balm to a busy and stressful world. Until next time, more soon…

• Like 13

1 hour ago, James Hilton said:

Whilst today’s Class 158s on the Far North will surely be facing the same fate, it is the Class 26 that will always, for me, be the most sorely missed…

The autumn of 1984 proved to be the last chance to catch Sulzer type 2 power ...

A fictionalised version of the Oban line rather than Kyle, but have you read Alan Warner's 'Deadman's Pedal'? It is a little while since I opened a copy of the novel, but I remember it evoking the days of the type twos in the Glens, even if the ending is rather melodramatic.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jun/01/deadmans-edal-alan-warner-review

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1