Can anyone identify this Parry People Mover in Merton?

Stentor

My Missus spotted this as we were walking by last Sunday in a front garden in Merton, Surrey.

It has a Parry People Mover logo on it but it doesn’t look like a class 139. Did they have other vehicles and is this one of them or is the sticker a red herring? What variety of stock is this ?

A quick search on Google could only flush out the same question on Flickr.

Any insight much appreciated.

Thanks

//simon

IMG_6629.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks like the one that I rode on in Brighton when they had a demonstration line there in front of the Theatre Royal.

Many bodyshells were, I think, modified and swapped. I seem to recall there was some published info a year or so back trying to unravel the identities.

Does it have a chassis/running gear or is it the bodyshell only?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

It looks like the one that I rode on in Brighton when they had a demonstration line there in front of the Theatre Royal.

That's helped refine my search a bit. I think the vehicle in question is the one pictured in the second photo in this article:

https://publictransportexperience.blogspot.com/2012/08/short-stay-at-stourbridge-4.html

• Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Stentor said:

My Missus spotted this as we were walking by last Sunday in a front garden in Merton, Surrey.

It has a Parry People Mover logo on it but it doesn’t look like a class 139. Did they have other vehicles and is this one of them or is the sticker a red herring? What variety of stock is this ?

A quick search on Google could only flush out the same question on Flickr.

Any insight much appreciated.

Thanks

//simon

IMG_6629.jpeg

I bet he's popular with his neighbours! 😏

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

Thanks to everybody for their quick and informative responses.

In answer to a couple of questions I couldn’t see whether it had any kind of running gear or a number as we were short of time, next time I’m that way I’ll have a look.

Sad to see it in its current state of decay given that it was up and running a short time ago but maybe that’s just me thinking that 2004 was sometime last week.

//simon

5 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Destination board appears to confirm 'Harbour Side'? Shipped back to UK from Canada??

I don't think it ever went there.  The fact they stuck that destination on it for a photo doesn't mean it ever left the UK!

Certainly don't recall reading anything about it in Tramways & Urban Transit magazine at the time.....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It would make a nice cocktail bar in my backgarden, rip out the insides put a few sideways benches and a table in it.

i’m in the market for a garden office and not far from Merton too !

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

It's Parry People Movers Car 7, the demonstrator built in 1993. It has run in Brighton's theatreland, Weymouth, and the Welsh Highland Railway, among other places. A special form of hybrid, incorporating a flywheel, - like a spinning top, it carries a van-load of people with only a small engine or motor. This is opposed to a conventional train or bus that needs a large engine for the same capacity. It is the forerunner of Britain's most reliable rail service, the Stourbridge Shuttle.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It looks like the rear incorporates a large door. Wheelchair access, maybe?

What does seem odd is that it has what appear to be regular road vehicle lights - side and indicators on the front and stop/tail, etc on the rear. Could it only work in one direction? Do trams that run over roads have to indicate in the same way road vehicles do?

2 hours ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

It looks like the rear incorporates a large door. Wheelchair access, maybe?

What does seem odd is that it has what appear to be regular road vehicle lights - side and indicators on the front and stop/tail, etc on the rear. Could it only work in one direction? Do trams that run over roads have to indicate in the same way road vehicles do?

Yes they do.  Modern street-running trams have to be fitted with head lights, tail lights, indicators and brake lights.  They normally also have to have reflectors, though I don't see any on the Parry vehicle.  The end reflectors are yellow on a bi-directional tram, because the normal red and white ones would be wrong half the time.  

The various photos indicate this vehicle only has a door on one side.  I speculate that it was built as uni-directional but probably had a second set of controls added because the various demonstrations it ran would have been much more difficult to do if they'd needed loops to turn the vehicle.  This might also explain the difference in end window arrangements.  

• Thanks 1

On the refurbished Blackpool tramway, flashers are used when stopping and leaving the stop/platforms. Ironically, apart from Fleetwood, all the tramway is on a reserved right of way, no road access at all. And even in Fleetwood the trams still carry on without pulling in to the stops like a bus!.

I can't remember if the flashers were introduced on the older trams before the major refurb; I suspect they were fitted to some after major overhauls.