158856 has a lucky escape in Thetford Forest

Apologies if this has been reported elsewhere.

158 856 on Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich service partially derailed and damaged after hittng a fallen tree between Thetford and East Harling yesterday evening.  Track damaged.  One passenger hurt but could have been much worse.  This train is normally travelling at 90mph on this stretch but the driver hit the emergency brake and got the speed down but still hit the tree.

News report with photos here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-68225061

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

I like how the photo of the departures board has 3 different cancelled trains, each with a different reason. Total clarity 👍🏼

"Signalling problems caused by a train derailing after hitting a tree on the line" p'raps  ........... could they squeeze that into available space ?

• RMweb Premium

Just a modicum of consistency would help! It’s no wonder the travelling public don’t trust the TOCs! Apologies, off tangent, and it could have course be a separate incident too, but it tickled me. 

Lucky escape for all involved it would seem. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

I like how the photo of the departures board has 3 different cancelled trains, each with a different reason. Total clarity 👍🏼

Lack of systems thinking if they were all caused by the same event , which I think is the case While the messages are all true, it would be better to have the same message for each cancellation, relating to the root cause alone, something like 'line obstructed due to train collision with a fallen tree'.

Common sense - which most service users possess - will kick in with an understanding that this is the most significant problem, because there is always going to be at least one human being directly affected.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

All three are not incorrect  and all three will have been generated by whatever delay code the Network Rail or individual TOC controllers put in the system, which will have been based on what they were told at the time. All three indicate that something major is going down and that this is not going to be fixed by the time you finish your coffee, which at least manages expectations. 

Getting them all to agree with each other in TRUST and getting the delay correctly  attributed to the same root cause is a Day 2 back office job.

Control are too busy standing up with a phone at each ear shouting at each other across the room trying to work round it at this point. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Getting them all to agree with each other in TRUST and getting the delay correctly  attributed to the same root cause is a Day 2 back office job.

Too slow. An electro-mechanical network should be capable of resolving root cause much more swiftly. Half an hour at most. Need to eliminate shouty folk on phones and do it by AI.

59 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Too slow. An electro-mechanical network should be capable of resolving root cause much more swiftly. Half an hour at most. Need to eliminate shouty folk on phones and do it by AI.

But wait until the AI reports something like "The cat knocked the train off the track"

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Thats an excellent idea, you should suggest that to the DfT as a replacement for the current Schedule 8 arrangements. Do let us know how you get on. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Control are too busy standing up with a phone at each ear shouting at each other across the room trying to work round it at this point. 

Exactly how it always was. Circa 1971 I recall shouting "Off the road at London Bridge!" across the office when Traffic Regulator Les Austin told me the 08.04 Hove to London Bridge had derailed the last coach as it entered the platform. It alerts everyone and enables them to think how it might impact them. 

• Like 1