Coal - any colour you like - as long as it’s NOT black!

• RMweb Gold

Having decided a few years ago, that all my steam locomotives should carry “real” coal in their tenders/bunkers, I duly obtained some, crushed it for use and was quite pleased with the result.

Nevertheless, I had determined that something was either wrong or indeed missing with the effect. 

Fast forward to a couple of days ago and whilst perusing a book and glimpsing some photos taken of a steam MPD from a high viewpoint (from where many models are viewed), It finally struck home - my coal was “too” black and shiny

I’m no expert on coal dug from the various mines throughout the country, be it from the Northern coalfields to those in South Wales, Somerset or Kent but one thing appears the same in colour photos of steam locomotives - it is generally of a varying matt grey colour. This could be due to the way light is reflected back at the viewer or from exposure to the elements.

I experimented with mixing Lifecolor’s “Worn Dirty Black” with “Roof Dirt” acrylic paint and gently dabbed it in drybrush fashion over the coal. It was important not to soak the coal as this would wash out the PVA with which it is fixed and it does destroy the effect.

Please see attached photo below of two engines with the same coal, the one on the left having been treated as above, the other unpainted.

Untitled.jpeg.6ddc74ae03196abce8f5d68d9cd29bb0.jpeg

Edited by Right Away
Correction: “Dirty Black” NOT “Worn Black”
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Right Away changed the title to Coal - any colour you like - as long as it’s NOT black!

Was your nice shiny coal anthracite? Being brought up in the heart of Area 8 I was surprised when I first encountered this “ foreign “ coal. The families of miners could identify which seam a particular lump had come from by the colour and dust. When I needed real coal for a working model I went for the anthracite as it is relatively clean to handle. The grey is spot on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Coal is mostly black, but other than anthracite is quite dusty, so the appearance is matt, and the reflection of light off the dust particles makes it look grey.  Your dark grey rendition is pretty much spot on, the trick is a flat matt finish.  Kent coal is noticeably grey, and imported coal from Germany, Belgium, or Poland is a sort of brown colour, and very dusty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Coal exposed to the weather errr weathers, newly crushed coal indoors on a model will stay shiny for  years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, doilum said:

Was your nice shiny coal anthracite? Being brought up in the heart of Area 8 I was surprised when I first encountered this “ foreign “ coal. The families of miners could identify which seam a particular lump had come from by the colour and dust. When I needed real coal for a working model I went for the anthracite as it is relatively clean to handle. The grey is spot on.

I’ve no idea of the source or if it was anthracite, being already supplied in relatively small (1cm) pieces when I received it. I did find that on breaking it into smaller sizes, the resultant “new” faces were very shiny.

As a child, coal was taken for granted, it could be seen in many locations; domestic coal bunkers, fireplaces, spilled on roads, when the “coalie” took a corner too fast! And of course in railway premises, yards, locomotives, wagons. But trying to remember what it actually looked like is another thing altogether.

Next to colour photos, scrutiny of the imported stuff on the next visit to a Heritage railway could be useful - a souvenir or three!

• Like 1

On a recent visit to Beamish I watched them prepare one of their live steamers. There was a pile of imported coal which I barely recognised as the same stuff we used to heat our homes. Full of strange mica like faces that seemed to change colour in the light, it gave off an acrid smoke that brought tears to your eyes. Not a good example for younger modellers who will not remember the real thing!

• Like 1

As mentioned above, dust has a big influence on the appearance. Loco crew didn't (don't) like dust either, and when running tender/bunker first would try to keep the coal damp to minimise the dust blown in their faces. Damp coal is shinier than dry coal. 

That then made me think of something else. If the coal is secured with dilute PVA dribbled on top, that will have an effect a bit like varnish in making the coal look shinier than it was before. It also seals it, preventing any weathering/oxidation effects.

I still think that the thing that looks most like coal is coal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

As mentioned above, dust has a big influence on the appearance. Loco crew didn't (don't) like dust either, and when running tender/bunker first would try to keep the coal damp to minimise the dust blown in their faces. Damp coal is shinier than dry coal. 

That then made me think of something else. If the coal is secured with dilute PVA dribbled on top, that will have an effect a bit like varnish in making the coal look shinier than it was before. It also seals it, preventing any weathering/oxidation effects.

I still think that the thing that looks most like coal is coal.

My suggestion is to put talc into your PVA mix. No idea why but it helps matt the result. Also if it adds any slight colouring to the fluid it will be slightly white so will aid the greying effect.

PS: (1) Make sure the baby powder type stuff is actually talcum as since posting above I have remembered recently reading that at least one supplier (Johnson & Johnson) either have, or are about to, swap talc to corn starch. My modelling box stock of it is quite old so is definitely talc.

(2) Found a link - from the BMJ, so definitive stating change was due during 2023.

Edited by john new
Amended the PS and added the link.
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 09/02/2024 at 13:08, Steamport Southport said:

It's one of the preserved ones, looks like 42085. That's Mayflower next to it.

Yes, it is 42085 and that is Mayflower next to it except that it wasn't called Mayflower when I took the photo - it was just 61306.  The name wasn't applied until after preservation and was originally carried by 61379.

For more photos like this check out my Archives topic, link below.

Regards

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

When ever I upgrade a model I try to use real coal. And it never looks black. I tended to give it a wash of matt black to darken it a bit. But looking at what has been said here I may not bother in the future.. This is the latest engine I have worked on and i have decided to leave the coal as is.

IMG_20240204_132829.jpg

• Like 1