RMweb

MRJ 301

pete55

Bought from James Hudson yesterday at BRM Doncaster Show.

IMG_8316(2).JPG.edc8a98b14c30a041c305feca86f23dc.JPG

Edited by Steve Hall

Contents.

Ryburn in P4 by John Dilnot

Another approach to hacked servos by Keith Slater

Coaches for Driglington by Steve Hall

Morley Top - Shoddy shed and goods warehouse by Mike Taylor

Slates Made Easy by Steve Hall

Nonsuch Gasworks Lives On

Letters

Accurascale GWR Manor Makeover by Gerry Beale

Electric Type 3 by Steve Hall

Edited by pete55
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Another good issue.

I have used various types of black paper origami corridor connectors. My current method is very similar to that used in The Bachmann Mk 1 article. However I make all the folds on mine the same height, the lower end fold to fit inside the existing moulding looks like a worthwhile improvement. Simple ideas are often the best.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Yep, really like the new up market retroesque arty darling cover design. 

I shall be digging out my dinner jacket to wear when reading MRJ in future. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Why is it when I order my copy from Simon that I cannot resist a quick 'just in case' look elsewhere on the website and end up buying a book..........? 

Puzzled of Cardiff. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

59 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Why is it when I order my copy from Simon that I cannot resist a quick 'just in case' look elsewhere on the website and end up buying a book..........? 

Puzzled of Cardiff. 

You're easily shepherded into a "bargain"?

Or is delivery for the two the same as for just buying the mag and its a worthwhile buy?

(I had another ovine pun in mind, but decided that discretion was the better part of valour!)

21 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Now in stock at Titfield, a right good northern issue...

I'm sure Chayley Broadbent, that well known Yorkshire Shoddy rag* dealer (with strong connections to Titfield) would would approve. He'd definitely think this edition, Value for Money.

Edited by Porcy Mane
* Shoddy was far more remunerative according to Limpy.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Or is delivery for the two the same as for just buying the mag and its a worthwhile buy?

I’m not in a position to confirm or deny if that may or may not have been the case.....................

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've just found out that delivery for three is just the same, how about that for a deal?

Can't wait to tell SWMBO how much I've just saved...🫣

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

Oh well, I'll pick my copy up on Tuesday morning, when I take Yeti in for its MOT.

I agree that, in a way, its a more expensive option than having a copy delivered by post...

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

He'll start talking about Art next...

Darling.

Blue, Luvvy, is so the new black...........

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Oh well, I'll pick my copy up on Tuesday morning, when I take Yeti in for its MOT.

I agree that, in a way, its a more expensive option than having a copy delivered by post...

Perhaps Cygnet need a special offer - Free MoT with every issue!...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Perhaps Cygnet need a special offer - Free MoT with every issue!...

That's abominable. 

• Round of applause 2

Lovely edition, especially with emphasis on Morley, which is the birthplace of Titus Salt (as in Saltaire ).  

Last time I was in Morley the Goods shed was being used by a tyre replacement firm. Is it still standing?  When I first went there I was told about the "Rhubarb Express" which went nightly in rhubarb season down to Leeds and then London for delivery to Covent Garden.  I took some persuading, but the forcing sheds can still be seen to the west of the M1 before the East Ardsley exit.

Good to see MRJ is expanding into Asian cuisine with Gas Woks being referenced in editorial !!.

Edited by CEINEWYDD
More information.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

Got Yeti MOTd and serviced yesterday and picked up 301.

To get home I have to take a bus, so its a choice of paying £2 for a bus ticket (pre-09:30) or sitting down in the Station Cafe with a mug of coffee (almost £2) and browse through the mag while waiting for time to evolve and I can use my bus pass.

Enjoyed mag and coffee.

I'll read the mag properly today!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Fingers crossed, the Royal Snail will be delivering mine this morning. 

Rob

• RMweb Premium

There are some super buildings and techniques in this current issue but, with few exceptions, they all have no evidence of this being a wet country (especially up north). The background building colours are spot-on and subtly weathered, but there is no evidence of mosses or lichens on any roofs or spreading up from ground level to the lower parts of the walls.

I always use a dark green acrylic based wash on my buildings directed to where they will be damp or holding water. When applied at ground level it makes a structure look as if it is really planted. Perhaps I need to write an article…

Tim

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2024 at 14:32, CF MRC said:

There are some super buildings and techniques in this current issue but, with few exceptions, they all have no evidence of this being a wet country (especially up north). The background building colours are spot-on and subtly weathered, but there is no evidence of mosses or lichens on any roofs or spreading up from ground level to the lower parts of the walls.

I always use a dark green acrylic based wash on my buildings directed to where they will be damp or holding water. When applied at ground level it makes a structure look as if it is really planted. Perhaps I need to write an article…

Tim

Indeed- I'm  no expert on making buildings but when I do my own builds or even kits painting/weathering its important to make them look their age , moss on roof tiles/slates also.