Platform edge slabs, how big?

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that no-one makes these ready to lay in model form if they are a standard part across the network. Unless someone does and I have missed it?

Andi

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't know whether this would still have been applicable ; - 

zHCEEng.SheetF552.jpg.7fe345b7d03a3bf72da6e5533784e480.jpg

Is there a drawing for the type where there is a subtle curve (in the same direction) on the shorter sides? This is so the gap doesn't open up as the slabs go round the edge of curved platforms. Perhaps not the best description but this can be seen on some platforms, perhaps an older design?

2 hours ago, Dagworth said:

I'm surprised that no-one makes these ready to lay in model form if they are a standard part across the network. Unless someone does and I have missed it?

Andi

I've definitely seen them as being available and the tactile paving slabs as well.

No idea where though.

Jason

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

3D prints ?

No idea. I think they were moulded. Just things I've seen in magazines that I would skip past as they aren't relevant. 

I would look at the scenery manufacturers or someone that sells lots of stuff like that such as Gaugemaster.

Jason

16 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

No idea. I think they were moulded. Just things I've seen in magazines that I would skip past as they aren't relevant. 

I would look at the scenery manufacturers or someone that sells lots of stuff like that such as Gaugemaster.

Jason

I am pretty sure "3d prints" was a suggestion instead of a remark that 3d printed ones had been seen somewhere.

It is certainly something I had considered because what I have seen commercially available just don't look right to me.

It is exactly the type of thing I bought my 3d printer for.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

60 thou styrene, 16mm x 10mm with some lines scrawked along one edge 1mm apart ? 

Granted the strip of tactiles behind them isn't quite so easy. 

That's exactly the way I've decided to make them. I don't need the tactiles for 1985.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

60 thou styrene, 16mm x 10mm with some lines scrawked along one edge 1mm apart ? 

Granted the strip of tactiles behind them isn't quite so easy. 

I tried to make coping stones with styrene before.

Even though I tried to be as accurate as possible, they come out very slightly different sizes, which looks very obvious when you try to line them up with each other & I was dissatisfied with the result.

Laser cutting produces them in consistent sizes, but without any relief. When using acrylic, the cut is not perpendicular either. I thought this would make them look acceptable to depict the curved edge, but it did not look right.

• RMweb Gold

I've cut them in strips, I started with a sheet of 60thou white plasticard, scored lines on the shiny side 10mm apart, lengthways, then scored lines on the matt side 16mm apart, crossways.

After it was all scored I used a fine wet and dry paper to remove any ridges from the scoring and also to scuff the surface a little.

Snapping the sheet along the 10mm score lines gave me 21ft of platform edging, about a third of what I need! Being in strips it should be fairly easy to get the edges even.

Once it is laid I will scribe the edge lines.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

The first two strips added to the platform edge. There is a join between the strips next to the coach door.

IMG_1936.jpeg.b6c8161db8a24dd77076f4d083e3474c.jpeg

Line scribing will be a big job but that comes later. 

Andi

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Snapping the sheet along the 10mm score lines gave me 21ft of platform edging, about a third of what I need! Being in strips it should be fairly easy to get the edges even ...

You won't be doing all the little square cut-outs in between each coper then ! I've only got about 10 feet to do but mine are some weird LMS / ScR variation with 4 equally spaced grooves and a coarse brushed (?) criss-cross pattern between them. Fortunately the rest of the station is good old fashioned plain stone slabs. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

You won't be doing all the little square cut-outs in between each coper then ! I've only got about 10 feet to do but mine are some weird LMS / ScR variation with 4 equally spaced grooves and a coarse brushed (?) criss-cross pattern between them. Fortunately the rest of the station is good old fashioned plain stone slabs. 

Platform 2 at Ipswich is more that 15 ft long in OO, add platforms 3&4 at about 12 ft and platform 1 at 7 ft and I think I'll live with the lack of little tiny squares :) Oh and the parcel bay too...

Andi