Getting started in O

21A Desperado

Tonight Ive managed to finish work before 9PM (the joys of the construction industry!) Ive applied Railtec transfers added to a couple more of my SKOG Dogfish.

Ive also started tarting up the paintwork, in particular the white bits before weathering (maybe tomorrow) and have ordered a fan and components to  make a spray booth.

Unfortunately I sold my last one (galv steel, hand fabricated with internal lighting). Regret that! Details to follow.

Trev 😊

dog 1.jpg

dog 2.jpg

dog 3.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Trev, 

Looks like someone has a passion for Peds. 😂😂

I am liking the wagons too, glad to see you getting stuck into a bit of 7mm modelling.

Cheers Peter.

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Trev, 

Looks like someone has a passion for Peds. 😂😂

I am liking the wagons too, glad to see you getting stuck into a bit of 7mm modelling.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

They were my staple motive power around these here parts!

Thank you! I've got a long way to go to reach your standards 😆

Its getting the old mojo back slowly

Trev

Posted (edited)

Today I have received a parcel containing a 3D printed TUA tank wagon from Shapeways.

It was fairly expensive, however the delivery was pretty good.

I need to source some PVC pipe for the tank barrel, and the buffers and a few bits and bobs.

I also ran a dirty mix over the two SKOG Dogfish Im working on and made a start on the rusting, working from pictures from Flickr.

Im not sure if Im happy with the result yet...

20240307_203822.jpg

20240307_203835.jpg

20240307_203841.jpg

Edited by 21A Desperado
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I have been carrying on with several jobs on the SKOG Dogfish, - Instanters, fitting the wheels, and other bits.

I am also making a spray booth, and will post some pictures if it works!

20240307_203835.jpg

20240308_211625.jpg

20240308_212014.jpg

Edited by 21A Desperado
  • Like 1

Its currently shy of 02.30 and i cant sleep. 

Thought I would do a bit on the wagons.

Just for a bit of fun ive added some ballast to see how it looks, and i think its not that bad.

Looks like the local 'artists' have been busy!

20240310_022646.jpg

20240310_022752.jpg

20240310_022520.jpg

20240310_022547.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Just thinking it's interesting how different eras give different weathering challenges. For c1957 I have unpainted wood and can do 16t minerals till the cows come home, but fitted stock was still frequently repainted, so I'm mosty varying filth! By the 70s, any remaining wooden bodied vehicles tended to be far more chipped, faded, patched in different shades, re lettered etc. Later on again you have steel painted in far more liveries, fading down to rust.

I'm tempted to get some later wagons myself just for variety. I can probably sell them on and get my money back and have some fun in the meantime!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Just thinking it's interesting how different eras give different weathering challenges. For c1957 I have unpainted wood and can do 16t minerals till the cows come home, but fitted stock was still frequently repainted, so I'm mosty varying filth! By the 70s, any remaining wooden bodied vehicles tended to be far more chipped, faded, patched in different shades, re lettered etc. Later on again you have steel painted in far more liveries, fading down to rust.

I'm tempted to get some later wagons myself just for variety. I can probably sell them on and get my money back and have some fun in the meantime!

I really enjoy the weathering, however it never seems to go right! (even when using reference photos)

That is the reason that Ive opted for the 1990's, as there were still numerous antiquated items of stock in engineers use and it gives me a reason to run these ancient beasts! (see my photos below of the wooden bodied ODA's at Rugby. You can see my old mate @Rugd1022's Mini Cooper in one of the shots (Hi Nidge 😊))

Ive bought a couple of Grampus too that need finishing, and admit to having a bit of a thing for vac braked stock. Still on my list are Mermaids, Plaice and Seacows.

I think that is one of the best elements of the hobby is being generous with time frames and running things that necessarily dont fit in the period modelled....good old modellers licence! 

24421748574_3c09143bba_4k.jpg

24757227030_b146c9a364_4k.jpg

• Like 4

A few bits done this week, mostly detailing and painting.

Ive part weathered a Loadhaul Dogfish and added ballast.

I have a habit of gluing in cardboard into the wagons which then get sealed around the hopper internal edge. The cardboard provides a support on which I pour the ballast in.

Ive also made a start on the TUA tank barrel, and really need to do some more investigation on the type.

The two Parkside Grampus kits have been primed.

On the loco front, Ive ordered a split box Dutch 37, which I will number as 010, a real beast of mine. I also have a flamecut number from 010. 

Thanks for dropping by!

Trev

Dog 1.jpg

Dog 2.jpg

Grampus 1.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 21A Desperado said:

A few bits done this week, mostly detailing and painting.

Ive part weathered a Loadhaul Dogfish and added ballast.

I have a habit of gluing in cardboard into the wagons which then get sealed around the hopper internal edge. The cardboard provides a support on which I pour the ballast in.

Ive also made a start on the TUA tank barrel, and really need to do some more investigation on the type.

The two Parkside Grampus kits have been primed.

On the loco front, Ive ordered a split box Dutch 37, which I will number as 010, a real beast of mine. I also have a flamecut number from 010. 

Thanks for dropping by!

Trev

Dog 1.jpg

Dog 2.jpg

Grampus 1.jpg

I've not tried it but I've seen a video of someone using cling film to line a wagon before adding a load so, once set, you can remove it and peel off the cling film so you have a nicely fitted load that can be removed. Some use magnets to lift them out.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 15/03/2024 at 07:53, Hal Nail said:

I've not tried it but I've seen a video of someone using cling film to line a wagon before adding a load so, once set, you can remove it and peel off the cling film so you have a nicely fitted load that can be removed. Some use magnets to lift them out.

Interesting!

To be honest once I put a load in, I tend to think of them as a permanent fixture.

One thing that has become apparent is that cardboard probably isnt the best material to use as a base. I think offcuts of plastic will be used for the other wagons I have to do as its a bit spongey.

Maybe its not dried properly after a soaking of the classic PVA/H20/washing up liquid solution.

Ill leave it another few days and check it again.

• Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)

I had a great couple of hours in my modelling room today, audibly assisted by my friend who is a renowned DJ, listening to a great 3 hour set. I always find that listening to music helps me concentrate.

I installed some new 5' LED fittings, and admit that I really like the brightness.

Since no,1 son has gone to live with his girlfriend, I have made use of some of the shelves and units he left behind. One unit in particular was a perfect fit in terms of dimensions and the width of the internal shelves that proved to be perfect to site my O gauge projects. Happy days!

So this afternoon I planned on working on my Shapeways TU tank wagon. Eventually I want it to look like this:

TUA

I managed to get hold of some odd sized PVC tube to suit the barrel ends, and cut it to length, gluing fingers together in the process.....🤪

I then fitted the barrel ends, walkway, filling hatch and ladders.

Ive found that drilling out bearings is something that Im having to do more to provide better running. So I did that, and fitted the wheels.

I glued it all together and now Im on the look out for buffers. Does anyone know where I can get some from? Looking at them they appear to be Oleo?

Also does anyone do transfers? I've had a quick look on Railtecs' website but I don't think they are produced. Fox is my next stop.

Looking forward tomorrow and I can fit the Instanters and brake pipes. I might even get the model primed...

shelf 1.jpg

TUA 1.jpg

TUA 2.jpg

Edited by 21A Desperado
  • Like 1

On 14/03/2024 at 21:23, 21A Desperado said:

Thanks for dropping by!

Trev

I look forward to seeing that, I had 37010 and 042 on a railtour from. Bristol to Crewe in 1995, was a great day and had a soft spot for the pair afterwards. On the way back they got an absolute trashing down the Lickey Bank, my old man who was with me opened up some years later it was the only time he had been on a train and genuinely thought it was going to derail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 37114 said:

I look forward to seeing that, I had 37010 and 042 on a railtour from. Bristol to Crewe in 1995, was a great day and had a soft spot for the pair afterwards. On the way back they got an absolute trashing down the Lickey Bank, my old man who was with me opened up some years later it was the only time he had been on a train and genuinely thought it was going to derail.

Ill see if I can dig it out, It weighs a ton, its half a cabside 😆

Ive been on a few tours that have been a tad "hairy" last one was a pair of cans (612 and 627) down Shap. Christ they were bouncing! Must have been pre-black box days!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The other day I mentioned that I was building a temporary spray "booth".

I was looking for materials that were readily available and provided a cheap, rugged and lightweight option that could be unpacked, used and packed away again with the minimum of fuss.

I opted for a PVC storage box as the actual booth, with a 5" centrifugal fan (from Amazon) providing the oomph.

A centrifugal fan is a must as they develop a higher operating pressure which will overcome static losses created by the ducting as opposed to an axial which has poor resistance values. 

5" ali flexible ducting was to be the carrier, held together with band clips and duct tape.

I managed to get a few bits through work, including a 5" adaptor plate. I cut and filed a hole for the plate through the side wall of the box, and applied some mastic for a seal. 

After this had dried, I used the duct tape to seal any further gaps.

I then wired up the fan to a plug and connected the duct.

As the flex comes in 10M sections, it fitted perfectly and I slid it under my roller door in the garage, and positioned the point of discharge under my gate into the entry down the side of the house in order that the exhaust wouldn't come into contact with any cars on driveways.

I laid the duct out as straight as possible to reduce static resistance and gave it a whirl.

It worked like a treat. What I like about it is that due to the transparent nature of the box, i can use my light from above.

Its a tad "Heath Robinson", but it does what I want and proves you don't need fancy set ups with filtration (unless your location deems it necessary)! I always advocate the use of a good full face mask when using enamels or spray varnish. I still use mine even with the fan running.

Total cost - about £100.00

I have everything I need , and my compressor is mounted on my unit top right.

You have to have music whilst working and my separates provide me tunes and links to internet radio.

I still have my trusty Mission 737 Renaissance's, fed by my Technics amp and sound awesome for their age.

Todays music is a trip back to the early 1990s with hardcore and breakbeat for company, typically a bit of Krome and Time.

Im also going through a bit of a Who phase..........and and ELO phase, and a Belgian house phase (R & S Records) and my interest in The Acacia Strain proves as strong as ever.

image.png.2e288c7cf97e6395c28aca0f9649e2b3.png

booth 2.jpg

booth 3.jpg

Edited by 21A Desperado
  • Like 2

I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours modelling too, working on the two Barbel I have that are part finished.

I completed the brake gear assemblies on both, and had a fiddle with the bearings, drilling them out to accept the Peartree Engrg wheels a bit better.

Ive ordered some buffers and will fit these once they arrive in the week. 

I primed both of these wagons, along with the TUA Ive got on the bench.

Ill get hold of some instanters and fit them. I thought I had a couple of pairs left, but Ive used them.

Then its onto paint for these three and transfers.

Also number two son has successfully transitioned into number one sons old room, including carrying out some rather good glossing I may add.

This means that his old room is now free and ready for phase one (design), then phase 2 (scaling back on my over-ambitiousness!) then finally the commencement of the layout.

barbel 1.jpg

TUA1.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

A bit of fettling to my Tope.

Im quite pleased with the shades of the internal faces of the hopper.

Matt varnish plus about 10 applications of weathering powders. Do they still manufacture Carrs weathering powders?!

Ive also added a few transfers. And hand drew some graffiti.

Its nearly there!

20240321_202821.jpg

20240321_202845.jpg

20240321_202855.jpg

20240321_202906.jpg

20240321_202952.jpg

Edited by 21A Desperado
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Spent an hour on the three Rudd tonight, and got a bit further with one.

I did the brake gear, and have a few bits to finish - instanters, grab rails, brake pipes ( already painted) and the two longitudinal bars that link the wheel assemblies.

Then painting, transfers and making dirty.

Rudd 1.jpg

rudd 2.jpg

rudd 3.jpg

• Like 2