Getting started in O

21A Desperado

Another Dogfish I am working on is this one, which is a 3D printed kit from SKOG. These are good fun to build, good value for money and dont take that long to assemble.

Ive added some Railtec transfers and they are drying nicely.

Ive got a couple more that Ive painted Dutch and Ive also got a Catfish that is nearing completion.

This and the others I am working on still need a few bits doing, (vac bags, lamp irons, and instanters) and the paint finishing.

Dogfish 5.jpg

Dogfish 6.jpg

Edited by 21A Desperado
  • Like 10

I am slowly building up a small fleet of wagons, as mentioned before these are a mix of the usual RTR suspects (Heljan and Dapol) and kits from SKOG.

I am terrible for getting bored and half finishing a project  and starting something new! So far I have about ten wagons in various stages of construction, which the following photos show.

Apologies for the state of my workbench!

Catfish.jpg

Tope 1.jpg

Turbot.jpg

wagons 1.jpg

wagons 2.jpg

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

Finding a suitable base board for a micro layout is the hard part.

Terry.

Hi Terry

Ive got that joy to come!

My new layout room will soon be teenager free so I need to start planning in earnest!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibelroad said:

Don’t be apologetic about your work bench, we cannot all be that neat and tidy. 

Ive not got much room and my 00 gauge stuff takes up half of the garage, making all the O gauge bits clutter up my bench!

Thats my excuse!! 😄

• Like 1

Tonights effort is an SKOG YLA 'Mullet', which I recieved in the post from Rob this morning.

This ones a right monster compared to the others I have built so far!

Ive filed and squared up the chassis sections then glued and clamped them all together. I will let these cure overnight and have weighted the bits to ensure they are nice and true.

I then made a start on the bogie sides, and dry fitted them.

bogies.jpg

mullet 2.jpg

mullet.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 21A Desperado said:

Ive not got much room and my 00 gauge stuff takes up half of the garage, making all the O gauge bits clutter up my bench!

Thats my excuse!! 😄

Welcome to the O gauge bug! Quite a few nice small O Gauge layouts on here to give you ideas, @Nick GNick Gurney's Cripple Corner is one of my favourites and is v compact .

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Welcome to the O gauge bug! Quite a few nice small O Gauge layouts on here to give you ideas, @Nick GNick Gurney's Cripple Corner is one of my favourites and is v compact .

Hi Rob!

Thank you. Im hoping to have enough room for a compact roundy roundy with some sidings.

I will certainly take a look and get weaving with some research.

Cheers!

• Like 3

I spent a few hours at the workbench this afternoon, working on my YLA 'Mullet'.

I must admit that I'm really enjoying working with 3D printed kits, it is definitely leap forward I think.

So in a brief couple of hours Ive assembled the bogies and frames, primed the chassis, assembled the bolsters and their associated stanchions, fitted them to the bed plates, then gave the chassis a coat or two of matt black/brown mix.

Oh, and I also glued my fingers together (twice) and tipped a thimbleful of matt black paint over myself. So flipping clumsy!

Can anyone tell me what diameter wheels I need please? I am assuming 3' 10" 3 disc?

Many thanks!

53535020169_4471defa05_k.jpg

53535020139_3c1c25714d_k.jpg

53526572077_27ee58936b_k (1).jpg

53526572072_fd81e22562_k (1).jpg

53535124730_b3b00ce5e2_k.jpg

• Like 2

I have a query that has been on my mind for a while, and its regarding bearings, axles and DCC.

When I was dabbling in OO, when re-wheeling my rolling stock, I had to ensure that I used insulated axles to prevent a short.

I assume that it is the same with O?

(I am currently using Peartree models 3' 10" wheels and brass top hat bearings......)

Do I need to find insulated axles?!

Thanks in advance

I'd not heard of insulated axles before!

I've either used wheels with insulated bushes on one side, or wheels with plastic centres* to provide insulation.

* ie just metal rims.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'd not heard of insulated axles before!

I've either used wheels with insulated bushes on one side, or wheels with plastic centres* to provide insulation.

* ie just metal rims.

They were a worthwhile investment!

Ive not heard of split axles like that! 😄

Im about half way along with my Mullet build, and have spent a few hours finishing the bogie construction and getting some paint on a few bits.

I've made a start on the decking, and have painted the deck edging yellow and the topside of the deck a basic browny grey. I really have to investigate the colour of the deck as I understand that it would be a weather bleached wooden structure.

Ive run a coat of matt black and several shades of brown over the bogie frames and the undersides of the decking sections, then once they were dry, I couldnt resist the temptation to dry fit them all together, which was pleasing and also showed the actual size of this model which was pretty impressive!

A long way to go yet....

Thank you for looking!

53536072217_770677ea1c_k.jpg

53536951806_1738f781f0_k.jpg

53536932551_eb2d5bebe9_k.jpg

53536932556_0e2f52bcfa_k.jpg

53537117488_147cc115c1_k.jpg

53536951636_bef3535a2c_k.jpg

Edited by 21A Desperado
  • Like 4

You have and are working on some nice wagons I like the weathering on the Dogfish. Not seen any mention of locos though although I spy an EWS 08 in one of the photos.

• Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Nick G said:

You have and are working on some nice wagons I like the weathering on the Dogfish. Not seen any mention of locos though although I spy an EWS 08 in one of the photos.

Hi Nick, and thank you!

Ive only got a handful of locos at present, a pair of 37's, a 31 and as you've spotted, a Jocko.

Im planning on sound fitting them and then weathering when funds permit, and thought I would try and get a few wagons built first so Ive got something to run when the layout is built! A bit chicken and egg really, but my mental health isnt great, and the wagons give me something to get stuck into, which really help get through the tough times.

I have been inspired by your work and would like to get a BR Blue jocko and give the it the fading treatment. 

Trev

• Like 2

On 13/02/2024 at 21:31, 21A Desperado said:

Thats my excuse!! 😄

Well you know the answer to that problem - sell all that miniature OO stuff!! 😂

On 13/02/2024 at 22:04, 21A Desperado said:

Hi Rob!

Thank you. Im hoping to have enough room for a compact roundy roundy with some sidings.

Now I'm getting worried. What do you mean by "compact"? For British O with scale couplings, minimum radius starts to become an issue with long rolling stock and diesels, and has bitten a few modellers more used to OO with tension lock couplers.

Yes Peco sells 'setrack' which is about 4ft radius, but it's only really suitable for small shunters & steam era 4-wheel wagons. You need to think more in terms of 6ft radius as a minimum especially if you want your mainline diesels to pull your bogie stock.

So "compact" may not be as compact as you would like - or have space for.

Not trying to put you off the best scale, but it's good to have realistic expectations.

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Well you know the answer to that problem - sell all that miniature OO stuff!! 😂

Now I'm getting worried. What do you mean by "compact"? For British O with scale couplings, minimum radius starts to become an issue with long rolling stock and diesels, and has bitten a few modellers more used to OO with tension lock couplers.

Yes Peco sells 'setrack' which is about 4ft radius, but it's only really suitable for small shunters & steam era 4-wheel wagons. You need to think more in terms of 6ft radius as a minimum especially if you want your mainline diesels to pull your bogie stock.

So "compact" may not be as compact as you would like - or have space for.

Not trying to put you off the best scale, but it's good to have realistic expectations.

Im too scared to sell it! Ive got about 20 years worth of collecting and half a garage full! half of me says yes sell it all the other half says hang on! Eek!

Dont worry, I think Ive got the space issue sussed, Im sure the room Im being given by the wife is approx 9 x 6 so (fingers crossed) I can avoid the old space trap and come up with something half decent! 

I managed to sneak another hour or so tonight armed with half a dozen paint brushes and about twenty different tinlets!

Ive made a start on painting the bolsters and stanchions.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, my phone was having a meltdown.

deck .jpg

rusting.jpg

stanchion.jpg

Edited by 21A Desperado
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4