NCE CAB06/06p - Where to find?

Good afternoon all,

I've recently managed to get my locos chipped on my layout and I'm looking forward to inviting some people over to play trains - but having two controllers seems like just about the minimum hospitality I should offer. I am quite keen on the looks of the NCE Cab06, and I think by preference i'd use it as my primary controller - but I can't find them in stock anywhere. In fact, it looks like in some cases it might even be cheaper to buy a full PowerCab system than an Intermediate controller.

Any thoughts or advice would be gladly taken.

Thanks,

William

• RMweb Premium

I use Powercab and an O6. I really do not like the O6. Limited functions and the Control settings are poor IMO. Compared to the finesse of the Cab, it is awful...sorry. 

I await all the huge fans...but that won't stop me advising to try another way.

Phil

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I use Powercab and an O6. I really do not like the O6. Limited functions and the Control settings are poor IMO. Compared to the finesse of the Cab, it is awful...sorry. 

I await all the huge fans...but that won't stop me advising to try another way.

Phil

I agree with you. A second powercab using a 4 wire connector in the righ hand socket is infinitely better.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I use two Powercabs with one configured as a slave. It automatically picks up the macros from the main Powercab. One thing - if you get a short e.g. running through a point set the wrong way you will need to unplug the slave to allow the master to complete its reboot.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1

I have a Cab 04R and have used it with my (US) shunting plank at exhibitions as it sits more comfortably in the hand. However have had to sacrifice the single push to change direction function which was useful, in favour of the extended Function Keys  as need to access them with sound fitted locos.

If you have a Powercab.(or PowerPro), then this may be of interest, 

http://www.wifitrax.com/products/product-WFD-31-detail.html

Connects to add a second or more (up to 8 using home wi-fi) controllers using Andriod or Apple Phones using an Aapp.

Both Digitrains and Coastal DCC are listed as UK stockists.

Conversely I brought one secondhand because I found that when I'm trying to persuade the public to operate, not many like to have Powercab with lots of buttons presented to them. I've since gained a second Powercab when Hatton's had them for £168 last year, but still prefer to run with the Cab06. Once disadvantage I've found is it seems difficult to select speed step 1 and have had to re-tune a lot of Loco's performance to improve slow speed running. I'm not sure whether this is because I have the Potentiometer version, or how it differs to the encoder version in this respect.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2024 at 17:09, Gilbert said:

I agree with you. A second powercab using a 4 wire connector in the righ hand socket is infinitely better.

Blimey, I never knew you could do that; thanks. I picked up an unused NCE Powercab full set at Auction and in total with commission and postage it still only cost me £120. Not sure if it had the upgraded Chip, BUT it works perfectly. I shall use one of my two (yes I know) other Handsets as the second Slave as you suggest!

Also, as stated above, the O6 is fine for others to use just for stop and go sort of Op's. In fact at the only Exhibition to which I took a previous EM layout, my Son, on Control at the front of the layout, used it for shunting an 08...for two days of 6 hour shifts! That 08 had a superb West Coast Digital Sound Chip with amazing slow speed control. 

Phil

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Blimey, I never knew you could do that; thanks. I picked up an unused NCE Powercab full set at Auction and in total with commission and postage it still only cost me £120. Not sure if it had the upgraded Chip, BUT it works perfectly. I shall use one of my two (yes I know) other Handsets as the second Slave as you suggest!

Also, as stated above, the O6 is fine for others to use just for stop and go sort of Op's. In fact at the only Exhibition to which I took a previous EM layout, my Son, on Control at the front of the layout, used it for shunting an 08...for two days of 6 hour shifts! That 08 had a superb West Coast Digital Sound Chip with amazing slow speed control. 

Phil

It will need a different address but the manual tells you how to sort that. Not all 6 wire cables are falt btw - I have at least one coiled one so beware!

and...

53529395965_2ef58d0841_c.jpg

53529148278_0f2f32852f_c.jpg

• Thanks 1

I don't have sound locos, I don't run macros, I don't need the second cab to program anything, etc. - it's literally just for a second operator to shuffle a pilot loco around the station while mainline operator manages the inbound and outbound trains.

I don't like the thumbwheel on the NCE, I'm just suffering through it as the cheapest and most expedient way to get a DCC system up and running. The Cab06e looks much more like how I want my controller to feel (i.e. like a Gaugemaster walkaround, rather than a Sky box remote control).

It would appear though, that Cab06's are at least as expensive as a PowerCab, and so mostly pointless.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Oh dear, I have one of those thinking it would be a good secondary controller (well it does do the job).  However, nobody likes it in my group either.  The major drawback is the lack of screen I think, so, yes, a slave powercab is going to be better.  Sigh.

Another thought, our club standardized to NCE eons ago.  Most members have their own Powercab kit. 

John

Edited by brossard
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2024 at 17:26, Danemouth said:

I use two Powercabs with one configured as a slave. It automatically picks up the macros from the main Powercab. One thing - if you get a short e.g. running through a point set the wrong way you will need to unplug the slave to allow the master to complete its reboot.

Dave

I tried that this morning and it didn't work. Possibly because I couldn't work out how to make the Cab a Slave in the right hand socket of the same Panel!

On 14/02/2024 at 15:48, Gilbert said:

It will need a different address but the manual tells you how to sort that. Not all 6 wire cables are falt btw - I have at least one coiled one so beware!

and...

53529395965_2ef58d0841_c.jpg

53529148278_0f2f32852f_c.jpg

I did this and it works but not with the Coil Cable! Thanks. I shall double check I have the 2 PCP Panels and not a PCP and a PCB.  

• RMweb Premium

If anyone wants a NCE-06 which works fine complete with box and instruction’ leaflet, make me an offer

I no longer have a need for it as the layout I used it for doesn’t need it since the layout was modified.

Terry

PM me if your interested .