Price Sticker - Shop Identification

Bit of a strange question this, but does anyone recognise the shop (or show trader) that this price tag/sticker might have come from? 

Most likely someone who is based in, or attends shows in the West, South West and South Wales.

Reason for asking is that I am currently cataloguing my models and so far I have been able to establish the source of all models whether purchased in-person or online, but not this one!

It is quite a distinctive sticker being almost fluorescent orange. This could be any time over the past ten years or so but I find most retailers stick to the same type of labels generally. I have models with this same sticker separated by several years, but can't trace any of them to a specific trader or show, or purchase!

Thanks in hope that's its someone's local shop!

PXL_20240214_213843009.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The print and label type is identical to those from Cheltenham Model Centre. Their labels are of various different colours, currently mostly white or yellow but the bright orange may have been used in the past. 

Andi

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

The print and label type is identical to those from Cheltenham Model Centre. Their labels are of various different colours, currently mostly white or yellow but the bright orange may have been used in the past. 

Andi

Yes, thankyou, they were certainly high on my list of traders that I would have bought brand new items from at shows in this part of the country, but I also have models from them where the name "Cheltenham Model Centre" is also printed on the labels and they are white. Of course they could be of a different era and the other possibility is that they might use completely different labels for show stock compared to shop stock..... as any other shop/trader might well do.

Its not vital that I find out obviously, but its just bugging me! Out of hundreds of models these are the only few I can't place! 

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

The print and label type is identical to those from Cheltenham Model Centre.

And, I would suggest, many other places that use that type of pricing machine.

• Agree 6

22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Well yes, you would reasonably expect that, but so far I have been able to identify the source of most models purchased in shops, from their labels! Obviously this relies on having some 'confirmed' purchases, but it is surprising how many stick to their preferred label/label machine over the years! Also, my list of likely retailers doesn't cover a very wide distance which helps!!  

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

many other places that use that type of pricing machine.

Definitely so. I have model railway items with that label colour and print on from the shop that once was on Okehampton platform, and several others, possibly Frizinghall among them, yet never have purchased anything from Cheltenham.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, melmerby said:

I've seen similar price labels in Oz, except they have $ signs instead of £ . Does that help?

Seriously OP, if you don't know just put 'Anon' or 'Unknown' in your database and if evidence comes to light later, you can find and edit later.

• Funny 1

On 15/02/2024 at 14:31, kevinlms said:

I've seen similar price labels in Oz, except they have $ signs instead of £ . Does that help?

Seriously OP, if you don't know just put 'Anon' or 'Unknown' in your database and if evidence comes to light later, you can find and edit later.

Sorry, $ won't help much 😆

As it happens, I did initially put 'Cheltenham Model Centre' as it was very similar to price labels on items that I knew had come from that shop, however, a bit later on I found some more identical bright orange labels and via a bit of 'digital archaeology' managed to pinpoint the purchases to Transport Models in Preston. So no-where near the Southwest of the UK 🤣. I did visit that shop once though, which is now sadly closed.

As you say, usually some evidence comes to light to enable a later update but at the moment I do still have two complete 'unknowns' per the images below and I am nearly at the end of the cataloguing exercise..... so hopefully there won't be any more!

For UK modellers out there, once again, does anyone recognise these labels from their local retailer? I won't restrict it to the South West this time as these seem to be 'one-off's that I could have purchased anywhere! ("Happy days" when you could pick up a new Bachmann wagon for these prices!)

Edited just to say that I think the second one below (the 'Our Price' sticker, no, not from the record store!) is actually from Durham Trains of Stanley, via a bit of memory trawling and a look at their website and facebook page! Still can't place the first one though. It would be a shame if this ended up as the only 'unknown shop' in my database!

PXL_20240219_185441012.jpg.5d23117844d0cebbac82a5e40126bc39.jpgPXL_20240219_185018318_MP.jpg.72164b71e131da9fa95c1f4069b906be.jpg

Edited by leavesontheline