RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

OK chaps, I've tried to cover this from every angle - apologies for the fuzzy close ups, I should have used the tripod. I haven't cleaned the track, and running my finger along it I can feel nothing at all. Even at the rail joint, which is also a baseboard joint, I cannot feel any significant difference in rail height, but that is the only thing I can find which might be causing the effect. It is quite a realistic effect of a bit of bad track though, isn't it?  I remember seeing Bittern coming through Grantham on the Up main a few years ago, and she didn't half lurch at one stage, even on modern track maintained to 100 mph standards.

post-98-0-55081500-1380388023_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-59050500-1380388044_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-39349400-1380388071_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-73220200-1380388090_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-15878100-1380388111_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-56588700-1380388128_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-36199800-1380388150_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Spider poo?

Or, post-2326-0-67697400-1380391071.jpg

do you think the hot sun might have created a bit of track movement at the joins shown?

Whatever, I've viewed the vid again and there is hardly any movement (of the wagons) at all.

Bloomin' 'eck, if my trackwork was as good as that I'd be well pleased :tender:  :read:  :laugh:

P

Edited by Mallard60022

When I zoom in (400%) on that rail join, it certainly looks like the railheads are not quite level:

post-8688-0-86396800-1380411452_thumb.jpg

My eyesight isn't good enough to see first hand from this distance, but that's my guess as to that's all it is.

Storms, tea cups, and all that...

Keep the images coming GB, always lovely to see your progress.

Cheers

Scott

Just another observation. From the close up it looks like the near side rails may dip down fractionally towards the join. That could cause the near side of the wagons to tip slghltly into the dip, the movement looks more of a dip than a bump. You would not feel any misalignment at the railhead because they are aligned. A steel rule placed across the join should show if there is a slight slope around the joint.

Fantasitic layout none the less. I always enjoy reading about developments just wish I had the time, space and skill to attempt something similar.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

They would seem to be displaced slightly sideways too.

Time for a PW slack, and the PW crew on the alert?

There is already a 20mph speed limit Jeff, so I think it unlikely that we would have to go lower than that? I think the problem is that there is a baseboard joint here, as well as a track joint, and the way the layout was delivered and assembled precludes the use of rail joiners, so if there was ever going to be any slight misalignment, this would be exactly where it was likely to happen. Our sage duck might well have a good point too, I try to remember to close the blinds when the sun is out, but it doesn't always happen, and that joint is right where the sun does shine strongly. I doubt there is much I can do about it, and as it isn't bad enough to cause derailments I shall just claim it as yet another prototypical detail. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I freely admit that if Hornby had done the P2 with the Buggati front I would probably not have been able to resist, and joined Roy Jackson and Dave Shakespeare ( and probably others) in claiming that one survived as a P2 into BR days and was painted Brunswick Green. The original Cock o' the North has never appealed to me though, so it won't be a temptation at all. Sorry.

The one loco I have seen recently that really did tempt me was Graeme King's lovely GC B4 in appple green. If there were to be any "funny trains" it would be that sort of thing that might feature. Please note - I said "might". Money no longer grows on trees as it did when I had desperate clients who wanted me to relieve them of the consequences of their own stupidity. Actually, I might have had even less had my Bank not realised that someone had got hold of my debit card details and tried to go on a spending spree. :angry:  What's more, it wasn't even model railway stuff they were trying to buy. :O

Join the club Gilbert....I like the B4...and can certainly use one. 6103 working the York Portion of the North Country Continental and will sit on shed for an hour and three quarters. :D

• Like 1

Exactly, and so the only alternative must be a webcam - pointing in the direction of the station building and including all the running lines - so that we enthusiasts can log on during operating sessions and just watch the trains go by.

It will be the nearest that we ever get to time travel.

Sounds a bit dangerous to me, I don't know about other visitors to P.N. but when Gilbert and I get together our conversation is certainly NOT for public consumption, he'd be back to full time work as a solicitor fighting the litigations and when would he then find time for photo shopping?

Politically Incorrect of Ancaster

Hornby might produce the wedge-front P2 if sales of the short-lived Cock' front-end measure up to someones expectations....Having seen one members colour conversions, I have to agree they would have looked dandy in BR green and even blue had the war or maybe Mr.T  not intervened.

• Like 1

Gilbert,

I've finally caught up on P.N. and realise I need to bring my lump hammer and wrecking bar to sort out that errant bit of track work during my next visit, I'll nip out to the shed and dig them out. Nice video but I didn't notice the lurching, I though B.R. coal wagons had instability designed into them much like the clanking in the W.D. and inane, loud heavy bass music in the Vauxhall Corsa.

Glad to hear your back is not arthritis but golfer's blight.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for taking the time to do those. The one of Silver King is intriguing. What was a Gateshead A4 doing heading South through Peterborough on a Class E goods? Even the Class C's from Newcastle changed engines at New England as far as I am aware.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow what a photo site - brilliant. There are so many really interesting pics and some from regions other than the LNER/ER. Hours of entertainment. Somerset and Dorset first I think......

Thanks Coldgunner.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Gilbert,

I've finally caught up on P.N. and realise I need to bring my lump hammer and wrecking bar to sort out that errant bit of track work during my next visit, I'll nip out to the shed and dig them out....

Oh dear. Just when I had decided not to expect the Spanish Inquisition.

:butcher: :ireful: :angry: :devil: :girldevil:

• RMweb Premium

OK, enough of lurching wagons, and the reasons therefor, let's get back to some more trains. Unfortunately this session turned out to be the worst I can remember, and most of the photos I took are unprintable - too much zoom, plus a lot of gloom I think. Anyway, here is what didn't finish up being deleted, and even these aren't up to much.

post-98-0-51049500-1380737575_thumb.jpg

All of these, by the way, are taken from a bit higher up than usual. So, what's all this about? Well it is a Leicester Jubilee coming off the Birmingham - Ely through train. There are a couple of potential problems here. The first is that this train didin't stop at North, in common with most of the Up Midland trains. And if it didn't stop, it couldn't change engines, could it? I wanted more opportunities to run B17's though, so the timetable planners were instructed to find a path, and guess what? they did. Someone also brought forward the transfer of Jubilees to Leicester by about 16 months, but I wanted one of those too. Apart from that, it is a totally prototypical scene. :jester: post-98-0-60870500-1380738741_thumb.jpg

Here is a Down Newcastle express, with Grantham A3 Centenary at the head. I got tired of trying to shop all of the lattice and ladders, as the programme kept erasing more than I wanted it to.

post-98-0-41841600-1380738926_thumb.jpg

This is the only other shot that passed the quality test, and not by much even so. Bit of a shame really, as I had got a couple of angles which I quite liked. Perhaps I'll try them again some time, but those lattice posts really do take an age.

• Like 15

Gilbert,

Old friend, may I remind you this is Peterborough North as in MODEL RAILWAY and RMWeb I believe stands for Railway Modeller's, I for one and I suspect a couple of others are more interested in your layout and the trains that run on it than photographic perfection, if that is demanded your critics if there are any should tune into Snappers Weekly or Exposure by Men .

The majority of photographs are perfectly OK and a plain grey sky is what we in The East Midlands are used to seeing at this time of year (although the odd bookcase would be nice).

If you spend all your time photo shopping you'll never get those knitted golf club head protectors finished in time for winter and you'll not catch up with all those recordings of Jeremy Kyle (You'll have to stand outside Morrisons to catch up). Let alone any operation or modelling!

I rest my case, M'Lud.

Photographic Luddite of Ancaster

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

May I say that I am in full agreement with the learnéd gentleman above.

Or. to put it more crudely, "Never mind the quality, feel the width!" :)

We don't care whether the photos will win a prize at Cannes (or insert photographic competition of your choice) , we want to see your layout, and your trains.

Nice to see the Jubilee showing these LNER'ists what a proper loco looks like... :jester:

Al