Peterborough North

great northern

Not industrial scenes in the main, but hazy, thus giving an impression of distance.

Old Gringo of this parish and I consulted on a very distant scene for his New Mexico based layout where we had to go from the edge of the backscene to 20 miles out with a blend of images and CGI. The trick with Gilbert's will be to fade it left to right rather than front to back.

John_Wardle_Backscene.jpg

I also took the chance to divert and take a look over some of A.E. Housman's 'Blue remembered hills' today.

Blue.jpg

A bit hillier than Cambs but it does show the diffusion of non-blue tones well.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I like the back scene, it definitely adds to that section of the layout. I also agree with you that it would be better a shade lighter. Will it be fixed permanently when it is right?

Mike

Yes, indeed. It will be on a framework which takes it just off the wall.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well I understand you and you're absolutely right, I was thinking the same on the way back. The fudged skyline and the sky itself needs to be a lot lighter.

Baker Perkins needs to be taller, the terraces need to be a bit lower and the shed roof-line definitely needs to be lower and the chimney needs to swap ends, the backscene strip needs to have about 50cm more at the left and it'll be worth taking a fake horizon on for another stretch to be seen on the ground level shots beneath the bridge to reduce the amount of photoshopping Gilbert will need to do. It'll take a couple of goes to get it right.

Remember Andy, this is a bloke (me)  making statements, who has never ever 'manipulated a photographic backscene' (slight sniggering allowed after the watershed).

However, I have seen your BCB backscene and also that from CK on Mr. Sweet's layout. Not industrial scenes in the main, but hazy, thus giving an impression of distance.

I wonder also if some sort of clever and very subtle marking could create a look of depth and shape to the frontage of the buildings (e.g. window frame 'shadows')

Phil

I wonder whether the nearer buildings, Spital Bridge shed in particular, should show rather more detail. It was pretty close to where my layout finishes, and shows up pretty crisp in some photos. However one then has to factor in the smoke and steam which would always be hanging around there, so I guess we have to decide whether it was a clear windy day, or a rather murky still one. The Baker Perkins building showed a surprising amount of detail considering how far away it actually was. Those advertising hoardings Andy and I discussed might be a good lateral inclusion too, and we could always represent the old Midland signal box which stood just before the bridge. I think I'd better shut up now.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

I'm glad that I was able to help in some small way, but I think Andy deserves all the credit for fettling it to get it right for the layout. I'm amazed at the depth it creates as is though. I'd be a bit cautious about adding too much detail that draws the eye, but perhaps the Baker Perkins building needs a bit more like what Andy put in.

It will be very interesting to see how it all pans out.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I also took the chance to divert and take a look over some of A.E. Housman's 'Blue remembered hills' today.

Anyone else remember Dennis Potter's TV version with Helen Mirren (actually if I'm being truthful Helen Mirren is the only thing I remember)?

There is one point worth keeping in mind with backscenes. IMHO they work best if they are kept vague or misty. As soon as you start putting in lots of detail you will get problems with perspective. Think of dioramas. These work very well provided the viewpoint is restricted, as soon as the viewpoint can be varied too much the various tricks no longer work. You can't restrict the viewpoint on your layout - you wouldn't want to - so keeping the backscene vague will help avoid the pitfalls. Flat representations will be OK but any attempts at three dimensions will look very false if viewed from the wrong direction or from the wrong height. A building shown 'end and side' will look good from the correct viewpoint - move away from that and it will look wrong. Hope that's helpful.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

This is the time when you have to consider the Theatre look and add in the scale of the whole thing. Avoiding what I can only describe as 'pantomime scenery' is essential in my opinion, however who am I to advise when I've only ever used RTR scenery in the past or painted a couple of Theatre sets for rubbish Am Dram shows.

However, the arrival of the digital age and the ability of shopping stuff in the style of Monsewer York enables loads of experimenting to be done. Even the material used is worth considering carefully. The advent of photoshopped and digitally prepared backscenes on layouts really has arrived. 

I am going to have to spend a little bit of loot but locally there is a firm that I have spoken with that produce all sorts of banners and advertising and they are really interested in looking at my ideas for various sections of scenic sheets & side/ backdrops for SOSJ . They are particularly enthusiastic about playing with different materials to produce different effects, one of which is a very fine gauze like, lightweight material that we are looking at for backdrops depicting those far away and 'blue' remembered hills of Devon in all its' glory. They have never done this sort of thing so far and it could be they learn about another area of production for such things as shows or maybe even local events/productions.

I'm looking forward to seeing Andy's further experiments as Gilbert has wonderful opportunities to play with scenic drops/sheets, whereas I have to disguise a hideous loft space.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Changing the subject, and the tempo, slightly, casting my mind back a page or two, there was a fish train.

I have just found another one. Fortunately, despite its age, it is fresh!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126693116@N06/29770304655/in/pool-1261311@N24/

Somehow I cannot get this photo to show directly in the forum.

The interest, for me, was not just the variety of fish vans, but the other vehicles, too.

There is a Southern PMV, and LMS BG, a BR CCT, and a standard Brake van some vehicles in from the end.

Just adds variety (IMHO)

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I am weary, but not in as bad a state as the fireman of B1 61023. Not only has he put the Class B light up whilst the train is still on its way up ECS from Nene sidings, he put in on askew, and used a tail lamp too.

post-98-0-56613300-1474752920_thumb.jpg

The photographer also managed to get a pole growing out of the engine's chimney. Apart from that, a faultless image. :jester:

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Changing the subject, and the tempo, slightly, casting my mind back a page or two, there was a fish train.

The interest, for me, was not just the variety of fish vans, but the other vehicles, too.

There is a Southern PMV, and LMS BG, a BR CCT, and a standard Brake van some vehicles in from the end.

Just adds variety (IMHO)

Regards

Ian

Flicker seems to be a problem at the moment for just doing a  pic or even a link in my case.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

The 7.25 Doncaster was the last Parliamentary northbound on this part of the ECML, and was withdrawn soon after my period, when all the local stations between PN and Donny were closed. It featured a very eclectic mix of stock, which I am now able to replicate, so I took some photos.

post-98-0-22784000-1474819430_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-42027000-1474819448_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-70599800-1474819471_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-49937000-1474819493_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-36254300-1474819520_thumb.jpg

The reason for that leaning maroon CK is under investigation. Lovely train, what a shame I completely ignored what was behind the tender back then.

• Like 17

Just adds variety (IMHO)

Regards

Ian

For me the most interesting is the third vehicle, is a LMS 6 wheeled fish van built in the 1930s.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

A few months ago you were asking about building Southern Pride Mark 1 kits. I think I've identified a dodge which enables a quick route to a 'layout' Mark 1 which might interest you. The Southern pride sides have exactly the same method of attachment as the old Triang Hornby Mark 1 coaches. Therefore you can take a pair of sides from Southern Pride and a donor Triang Hornby Mark 1 (which can be picked up for £5-£10 secondhand), and simply replace the sides. If you use the pre-printed Southern Pride sides then all you have to do is add door furniture, sort out the vents on the roof, number it and add an interior. This also works with the etched brass sides in which case you'd need to paint and line as well.

I attach some pictures of my BSO done using this method (interior still work in progress). The ends and underframe are a bit 'clunky', but as this only cost me c.£7 for the sides with the rest coming from the spares box, I feel pretty pleased with the result.

Any Comments welcome.

Andy

post-19760-0-91887400-1474923244_thumb.jpeg

post-19760-0-63155300-1474923300_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

A few months ago you were asking about building Southern Pride Mark 1 kits. I think I've identified a dodge which enables a quick route to a 'layout' Mark 1 which might interest you. The Southern pride sides have exactly the same method of attachment as the old Triang Hornby Mark 1 coaches. Therefore you can take a pair of sides from Southern Pride and a donor Triang Hornby Mark 1 (which can be picked up for £5-£10 secondhand), and simply replace the sides. If you use the pre-printed Southern Pride sides then all you have to do is add door furniture, sort out the vents on the roof, number it and add an interior. This also works with the etched brass sides in which case you'd need to paint and line as well.

I attach some pictures of my BSO done using this method (interior still work in progress). The ends and underframe are a bit 'clunky', but as this only cost me c.£7 for the sides with the rest coming from the spares box, I feel pretty pleased with the result.

Any Comments welcome.

Andy

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Thanks Andy. Very interesting. Aren't those pre printed sides rather easy to ruin though? I understand the slightest bit of glue or solder on them is enough.

• Like 1