Peterborough North

great northern

18 minutes ago, great northern said:

Only one image again, as I forgot to process any more, and I have visitors this morning. We've had locals from the East and the M&GN, and now we have one from Grimsby Town, which left there at 5.49am. Can you imagine anyone contemplating taking three hours for a journey of 78 miles these days?

1238573776_111431.JPG.81b458bdc854472b9fc8b5b946864718.JPG

Try Inverness to Kyle, though the scenery on that is a wee bit better. Locals would normally use the bus, which is not much more than half that time.

Lloyd

• Like 2

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Can you imagine anyone contemplating taking three hours for a journey of 78 miles these days?

To be honest there are many journeys that are a similar distance and take as long, if not longer.  I once took the train from Grantham to Stoke on Trent in 2011.  Took 3 1/2 hours, with 15 minutes changeover at Derby.  I guess our impression of journey times get distorted by high speed rail or motorway trips.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

To be honest there are many journeys that are a similar distance and take as long, if not longer.  I once took the train from Grantham to Stoke on Trent in 2011.  Took 3 1/2 hours, with 15 minutes changeover at Derby.  I guess our impression of journey times get distorted by high speed rail or motorway trips.

Definitely agreed when changes are concerned. I need to travel a point-to-point distance of 45 miles this weekend. I have a variety of ways to do it including using a train that can travel at up to 140mph. But no realistic option gives me a travel time of less than 2 hours -- because there is always a minimum of three changes.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great northern said:

Can you imagine anyone contemplating taking three hours for a journey of 78 miles these days?

On public transport to come and see you 4 hr 26 mins and only on a Tuesday, plus you would have the delight of me staying for 7 days before I could go home.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

On public transport to come and see you 4 hr 26 mins and only on a Tuesday, plus you would have the delight of me staying for 7 days before I could go home.

No need to stay, you can walk back - would only take 19 hours.  If you bring your camping gear, you could break it up into three stints of 6 hours and still be home before the next bus.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I just wanted to thank Gilbert for inviting me (and Phil) over yesterday to look at the masterpiece that is Peterborough North. It is truly phenomenal and a joy to behold. The ham sandwich was tasty too.

I am relatively new to the hobby so it was great to chat to Gilbert and learn a little of his, and his layout's history. Phil brought me his surplus Hornby Arthur which will be exchanged for my completion of his DJH H15 4-6-0 kit. Better clear the decks of B16 parts then...

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

Definitely agreed when changes are concerned. I need to travel a point-to-point distance of 45 miles this weekend. I have a variety of ways to do it including using a train that can travel at up to 140mph. But no realistic option gives me a travel time of less than 2 hours -- because there is always a minimum of three changes.

i used to live in Applecross and rent out a house on Portree. Only possible train use would be Strathcarron to Kyle, but that would involve three buses as well, and I would have to stay overnight. As the crow flies, distance is about 10 miles. By road, about 110 miles plus ferry at that time, and about 2 hours if the going was good. Portree is west of Applecross, but I would start off going East, the South, then West, then North!

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
Added ferry
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 16/03/2023 at 09:02, great northern said:

Only one image again, as I forgot to process any more, and I have visitors this morning. We've had locals from the East and the M&GN, and now we have one from Grimsby Town, which left there at 5.49am. Can you imagine anyone contemplating taking three hours for a journey of 78 miles these days?

1238573776_111431.JPG.81b458bdc854472b9fc8b5b946864718.JPG

Actually, 2hrs 50 min for a stopping train with 20 stops in 78 miles  stands pretty good comparison with similar journeys in  1958 , especially as in served all the tiny communities on the way .  If you tried the same journey by train today it would go via Lincoln and Doncaster at goodness knows what cost, not serving any local communities, and taking up to 25 minutes longer than our 1958 stopper ! 
Equally , the traveller in 1958 could catch the the early morning Kings Cross express and with 7 stops before PN would still arrive a few minutes quicker than his fastest 2023 counterpart.  
I don’t think it’s possible to even do the journey by bus.

I think it’s something to do with what is commonly known as progress !

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Actually, 2hrs 50 min for a stopping train with 20 stops in 78 miles  stands pretty good comparison with similar journeys in  1958 , especially as in served all the tiny communities on the way .  If you tried the same journey by train today it would go via Lincoln and Doncaster at goodness knows what cost, not serving any local communities, and taking up to 25 minutes longer than our 1958 stopper ! 
Equally , the traveller in 1958 could catch the the early morning Kings Cross express and with 7 stops before PN would still arrive a few minutes quicker than his fastest 2023 counterpart.  
I don’t think it’s possible to even do the journey by bus.

I think it’s something to do with what is commonly known as progress !

I agree with you, it was a normal kind of timing for the stop at every lamp post trains back then.  My point really was that we are now so accustomed to rushing everywhere that most would find it unthinkable even if it was still possible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose today's big news must be the Accurascale announcement. I was beginning to wonder if the GWR monopoly of the offerings of the smaller suppliers would ever be broken, Sonic Models being the exception, of course. Slightly strange choices for the first tranche though, but I suppose they shouldn't be criticised for going for the must have one market first. Only one BR J69, and that one of the Scottish variants. The two at New England were mainly shed pilots apparently, but when an appropriate one is announced it will be irresistible. Lovely little things.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, great northern said:

I suppose today's big news must be the Accurascale announcement. I was beginning to wonder if the GWR monopoly of the offerings of the smaller suppliers would ever be broken, Sonic Models being the exception, of course. Slightly strange choices for the first tranche though, but I suppose they shouldn't be criticised for going for the must have one market first. Only one BR J69, and that one of the Scottish variants. The two at New England were mainly shed pilots apparently, but when an appropriate one is announced it will be irresistible. Lovely little things.

Hi Gilbert

I got quite excited when I saw the announcement from Accurascales for their new J67,J68 and J69 models, that was until I found out none of the classes were ever at Haymarket MPD in the 1958/9 period.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Following the Grimsby on the Up is the Nottingham-KX, only eight cars, but apparently nearly always A4 haulage. Silver Link, no less, today.

10 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

I got quite excited when I saw the announcement from Accurascales for their new J67,J68 and J69 models, that was until I found out none of the classes were ever at Haymarket MPD in the 1958/9 period.

Regards

David

Well David, as you know I am pretty restrained in what I allow to run on PN. I take the view though that a straitjacket is an unhealthy form of restraint, and so when Accurascale do an appropriate model it will appear on PN despite the fact that the only evidence I have for them appearing anywhere but in the shed yard is one image showing what might be the rear of one on the Nene bridge. What's more it is likely to be 68599, which was Lincoln Central pilot, and to my knowledge never got anywhere near PN.

A psychiatrist might I suppose be interested in the fact that I will sanction that, but putting the wrong number on one of these first models announced would be totally unacceptable to me.  68535 was at Dundee, which is only up the road from Haymarket, after all.😉  New England had 68635, also with Scottish modifications, but alas with differences too significant for me to ignore. Unrecorded temporary transfer to 64B David, you know it makes sense.😈

• Like 6