Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The shot above this mornings has a cloudy circle on the leading coach. Today's shot doesn't so maybe a smear on the lens yesterday?

(RMWeb went down just as I tried to post this, when it came up my post was still waiting to go. I then noticed the next picture has a similar smudge, on the track.}

If it were not for that I was happy with the shot.

Syd

Edited by juke
Spelling error

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, juke said:

The shot above this mornings has a cloudy circle on the leading coach. Today's shot doesn't so maybe a smear on the lens yesterday?

(RMWeb went down just as I tried to post this, when it came up my post was still waiting to go. I then noticed the next picture has a similar smudge, on the track.}

If it were not for that I was happy with the shot.

Syd

The spot was caused by the incoming light. It is still there on the second image, lower because the camera angle has changed, but not on the third one, the 9F, which was taken very shortly afterwards. I hadn't wiped the lens in the meantime.

• Informative/Useful 1

It's a daily pleasure to log in and view the updates on this thread. As a young man I was obsessed with GWR branch lines desirous of that chocolate box countryside to obliterate the bleakness of my surroundings (I lived in South East Essex at the time). In my later years I am so glad that I 'found' the ECML which is now my 'hobby' of choice. Watching the running orders unfold on this layout never gets old.

Luckily I am travelling to Yorkshire by train tomorrow so will get a few hours of the real thing.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I think it is called flare. Not to be confused with flair, which may help when imagining how a layout could look. 

Good evening Ian,

In my experience, lens flare is caused by internal reflection between compound lenses inside the lens itself (I assume Gilbert's camera has compound lenses?); usually caused when shooting against the light. 

No amount of cleaning the two external lenses (at the front or the rear, assuming a lens can be removed from the camera) will prevent this. 

Regards,

Tony.