Peterborough North

great northern

53 minutes ago, drmditch said:

As far as I know, Knaresborough is not and never has been on the ECML, lovely station though it is.

No not on the ECML but very nice and London trains do pass through it. Yes I know that is a very tenuous link. 

Our daughter lived in Harrogate for two years,  we love the area and had some good times there though a drive of around 8 hours to get there could be difficult,  we sometimes left around 4 in the morning. South London doesn't have the same appeal but is my old University stamping ground and only around 3 hours drive. 

Martyn 

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, drmditch said:

As far as I know, Knaresborough is not and never has been on the ECML, lovely station though it is.

Well no, it isn't, but when Mullie mentioned it, quite a few posts ago, I sort of changed the rules a bit. I'm glad I did, as they are lovely photos. In fact I shall shortly change the rules even more.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just over 10 years ago when I was working in the UK I managed to stop in at Wakefield Westgate before the most recent incarnation of the station was started.  It was much changed on the city side, but much of the old station remained on the brewery side.  Much photography was undertaken to capture as much as I could.  Unfortunately, much more of this history has gone.

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_0879.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Graham Nicholas tells me he's building more signals for you.

Two more replacements to complete the work at the north end, Tony.

However, the signal you feature (south end of the excursion platform) already exists and is with me for re-working for operation with servos. We were pondering as to whether those distants were fixed or not. Your picture indeed useful in figuring out how it all worked!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2023 at 17:51, Tony Wright said:

Also in 1958...........

61079.jpg.d3a51106c49dffc08e77c18e48878f09.jpg

Rather different from today? 

Please observe copyright restrictions on this image. 

Platform furniture gone, and platform? Also signal box and Tranship shed, plus signals.  Not forgetting the loading dock, now car park. I don't know about the trees on the right. They'd be very big now, if still there. Just the bridge remains then, and painted blue, of course.

I reckon I could recreate that train more or less exactly, but you'd have to identify some of the coaches at the rear for me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Platform furniture gone, and platform? Also signal box and Tranship shed, plus signals.  Not forgetting the loading dock, now car park. I don't know about the trees on the right. They'd be very big now, if still there. Just the bridge remains then, and painted blue, of course.

I reckon I could recreate that train more or less exactly, but you'd have to identify some of the coaches at the rear for me.

Good evening Gilbert,

I think the most-interesting coach in the rake is the third one - a Thompson pressure-ventilated FK (perhaps with a ladies' retiring room?). By 1958, most such cars were in maroon, running in 'The Elizabethans', so this one must be from a spare set. The second car looks to be a standard Thompson TK (note the exposed solebar). 

I've got a spare Thompson PV car like the one just mentioned, in carmine/cream, and I've made up a very similar train, with it in it, including a catering car of some description (the ninth car).  Without doubt a summer Saturday working? To Skegness? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Gilbert,

I think the most-interesting coach in the rake is the third one - a Thompson pressure-ventilated FK (perhaps with a ladies' retiring room?). By 1958, most such cars were in maroon, running in 'The Elizabethans', so this one must be from a spare set. The second car looks to be a standard Thompson TK (note the exposed solebar). 

I've got a spare Thompson PV car like the one just mentioned, in carmine/cream, and I've made up a very similar train, with it in it, including a catering car of some description (the ninth car).  Without doubt a summer Saturday working? To Skegness? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Definitely Saturday, as the caption says 19/7/58, could be a Skegness, but possibly also a Grimsby or Cleethorpes, as there were several of those too. Very few of the Skegness trains had an FK, in fact having looked at the CWN the only one I can find is a Skegness to Hertford N/ Hitchin, which specifies a Thompson FK in the Hitchin portion. The Down train left Kings Cross at 9.10 am. The shadows would be right for that. The Cleethorpes trains had some, but they were the regular weekday fixed sets.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Station Road really looks the part now, though its obvious that Clive hasn't visited for a while with that view of Crescent Bridge sans omnibus...

They don't stay there for long Tony, and his excuses for popping upstairs on his own are wearing very thin now.

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2023 at 17:51, Tony Wright said:

Also in 1958...........

61079.jpg.d3a51106c49dffc08e77c18e48878f09.jpg

Rather different from today? 

Please observe copyright restrictions on this image. 

That photo is going to be very useful in any attempt to create, (not using parts of this photo of course), that scenic back-sheet, for views through/under the Bridge Gilbert. Especially that on the right; easy peasy as they say in the Navy. Mostly Sky beyond the Box and what looks like more Trees? I know your curve is tighter but that view does create a look of depth/distance. 

Phik

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Presumably any such bus is confiscated? He'll run out eventually. 

Unfortunately Ian I have several lying about, and he has found out where they are. I try to hide them more thoroughly, but still he finds them. I'll win that battle eventually, but I suspect he may have several million at home, which he can conceal about his person when he visits. I have googled bus detector, but with no success.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Station Road really looks the part now, though its obvious that Clive hasn't visited for a while with that view of Crescent Bridge sans omnibus...

Unless I get banned from the next gang visit you wish will come true.

23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Presumably any such bus is confiscated? He'll run out eventually. 

Name the bus company I might have one in that livery. A Wigan Corporation PD2?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1