Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

A very nicely executed model, Tim which really does you credit, even if you do have reservations about the class. 10/10

Cheers

Simon

It proves you CAN fancy an ugly woman if she's wearing enough makeup, An A2/3 might be towards the bottom of my wish list but what red blooded railway modeller would not be tempted by such a dirty girl? Unless of course you're a 60108.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another of Coachmann's beautiful range has arrived. :imsohappy: This time it's an ex MR Dia 1281 composite. I've been running a Mainline CK in my Midland set. Now that was a very good RTR addition 30 years ago, but it was looking a bit embarrassed rubbing shoulders with the work of Coachmann and Ian Willets, so it will now go into honourable retirement, unless someone can offer it a good home. I can only justify one LMS set, and that is now complete, so no more of these will be arriving, superb though they are. Many thanks to Coachmann though for yet another prized possession.

post-98-0-13388900-1327836119_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-11296100-1327836143_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hey, I just had a great idea. Suppose I just extend the house a few feet? I'd have to fill in the pond, but I'm sure the fish wouldn't mind. Or perhaps just extend the top floor? Whaddya mean, planning permission? It's only a few feet. Tetley's could do it - he's not got much on at the moment. Anyway, then I could just splice in a small board to ease the entrance into the fiddle yard, and extend the station board to include the Midland lines and Spital Bridge shed. Then I could have LMS 2P's and Compounds and Fowler and Fairburn 2.6.4T's and 4F's and 8F's and the odd Patriot and a Beyer Garrett, (wait a minute though, I've already ordered one of those) and perhaps a G2 and some more 3F's... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

• Like 4

True Yorkshire wit Tetley's.

I bet SKDC or probably NKDC did not know what had hit them with your planning applications.

Regards,Derek.

Derek,

It was actually SKDC and for once I have to be cautious in how I respond but if I say during my entire Police career dealing with all manner of lower life forms including being assaulted a few times I never felt the hatred and animosity that the planning officer invited by his spiteful attitude. So if you want to build anything in Grantham or SKDC especially if you want to include space for a model railway, move elsewhere!

Now it just so happens that Great Northern does live outside of SKDC and he's in need of a bit more storage space for a few more trains,let's face it the poor chap is strapped for space for his 'shunting plank' and I've got the cement mixer and he's got the bacon butties,now what am I doing next thursday?

• Like 3

Hey, I just had a great idea. Suppose I just extend the house a few feet? I'd have to fill in the pond, but I'm sure the fish wouldn't mind. Or perhaps just extend the top floor? Whaddya mean, planning permission? It's only a few feet. Tetley's could do it - he's not got much on at the moment. Anyway, then I could just splice in a small board to ease the entrance into the fiddle yard, and extend the station board to include the Midland lines and Spital Bridge shed. Then I could have LMS 2P's and Compounds and Fowler and Fairburn 2.6.4T's and 4F's and 8F's and the odd Patriot and a Beyer Garrett, (wait a minute though, I've already ordered one of those) and perhaps a G2 and some more 3F's... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Hi Gilbert

Is there a room next to the layout room that you could just knock a couple of holes in the wall and extend the layout into that room, or even knock the wall down!!!!!! Ian

Edited by ianwales

Dave,

I am not in the least surprised as I am in SKDC as well and wanted to put a wall around the remaing 20 ft by 12 ft of garden that was not enclosed.

SKDC :- Yes of course but its got to have panels of wooden fencing 6 feet in length as per existing Wall.

Ah but I wanted just walling as it involves less maintenance as I get older.

SKDC :- No must be brick and 6 ft wooden fence panels.Oh and by the way the brick sections must be 8ft in length.

Excuse me but two 6ft fence panels and one 10ft brick section must be 22 feet in length and I only have 20 feet, surely it would look better if I could also return the front 12 ft wall down the side a couple of feet rather than a fence panel ending the run.

I could go on,but won't bore everyone.So for a new house,heaven help.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Is there a room next to the layout room that you could just knock a couple of holes in the wall and extend the layout into that room, or even knock the wall down!!!!!! Ian

I've already knocked one wall down Ian. There are two more walls to choose from, one at either end, but I think my neighbours might notice if I did. Nice people but for some reason not as keen on model railways as I am. I promised not to run trains while they were in bed, but no go I'm afraid. Can't go the other way, as I need the landing to get to my bedroom, and I don't have a downstairs WC. It'll have to be the garden. By the way, what's a conservation area?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely light for a while today, so here is a succession of photos of southbound trains. We start with the arrival of the overnight Edinburgh - Colchester train, a Gateshead duty. Today the loco is Golden Eagle, reputed to be a very poor steamer while single blast. All that will soon change though. Number 23 was one of the last single chimney A4's, and will be called into Works very soon to get a double kylchap and lose that reputation.

Manky old Gateshead streak, don't know why I bothered looking in at the station today - they'll be around for years and maybe one day we'll see a clean Gateshead engine but they'll probably knock the place down before there's any chance of that happening!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I do like you're odd carriage rakes. Most modellers will happily put a huge rake of matching, pristine coaches together.

Just trying to do it the way it was. Some of the principal expresses are much more uniform, but not the lesser stuff. Having said that. I'm finding it hard to bring myself to weather the Midland set. It seems almost like sacrilege to cover up those lovely paint jobs.

• RMweb Premium

Just trying to do it the way it was. Some of the principal expresses are much more uniform, but not the lesser stuff. Having said that. I'm finding it hard to bring myself to weather the Midland set. It seems almost like sacrilege to cover up those lovely paint jobs.

Perhaps you could buy a ready weathered set...?

Loving how the station is coming together :D

Simon

Some lovely light for a while today, so here is a succession of photos of southbound trains. We start with the arrival of the overnight Edinburgh - Colchester train, a Gateshead duty. Today the loco is Golden Eagle, reputed to be a very poor steamer while single blast. All that will soon change though. Number 23 was one of the last single chimney A4's, and will be called into Works very soon to get a double kylchap and lose that reputation.

post-98-0-32507600-1327938585_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-83211900-1327938631_thumb.jpg

The A4 has now come off and headed to New England to await her return working, and March B17 Brancepeth Castle has moved from the bay platform to take the train on. I only realised after I had done this sequence that the first three locos featured would soon cease to exist as shown here. In 1626's case sadly within 18 months she ceased to exist at all.

post-98-0-28916700-1327938781_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-93852700-1327938962_thumb.jpg

Something not quite right about the Crownline kit. Front end too heavy looking?

post-98-0-37209700-1327939059_thumb.jpg

The B17 has departed, and a local V2 has brought in the stock of the first Up slow to London. 60874 was by this time one of the last few V2's still running in black livery. Frankly this loco has all the worst attributes of the current Bachmann model - it runs like a bag of nails. That must be why I've never got rid of that horrible front tension lock. As soon as the new V2's come out, this one will become very much a spare engine.

post-98-0-33951900-1327939360_thumb.jpg

Still quiet enough for an Up coal to be dragged through on the main line behind a local WD.

post-98-0-78068600-1327939431_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-23890700-1327939564_thumb.jpg

Who knocked that lamp? And why do I never notice till after the photo is taken? Anyway, off to the North end now, to see the early Peterborough East - Leicester. Very convenient, as I wanted to record this train with its now complete rake of very tasty stock.

post-98-0-03191200-1327939812_thumb.jpg

Sorry, got out of sequence, here's the loco.

post-98-0-87967700-1327939911_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-92379100-1327940006_thumb.jpg

Finally, rummaging around in the loft I found this. Very temporary, but at least my passengers will know where they are now. Within a couple of weeks they'll have some more proper surfaces to stand on too. :D

post-98-0-17754500-1327940092_thumb.jpg

Good Evening Gilbert

Another fine set of photos, I must say your track work looks stunning in the head on photo of Gateshead A4 60023 Golden Eagle.

I remember seeing this A4 in Top Shed 34A in early 1963 a very rear bird in the London Area at that time especially as Top Shed closed in June 1963.

It was the one and only time I ever got into Top Shed and also the only time I ever saw 60023 as well, great days.

As usual great work and great photos.

Regards

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The B17 has departed, and a local V2 has brought in the stock of the first Up slow to London. 60874 was by this time one of the last few V2's still running in black livery. Frankly this loco has all the worst attributes of the current Bachmann model - it runs like a bag of nails. That must be why I've never got rid of that horrible front tension lock. As soon as the new V2's come out, this one will become very much a spare engine.

post-98-0-33951900-1327939360_thumb.jpg

Not sure if it's relevant to its poor running but in this picture 60874's trailing bogie is derailing...

I'll second the comment re the coaches; beautiful in line together like that, and yes it will be a shame to dirty them up...keep the inspirational pictures coming; wonderful stuff!

Edited by Grafarman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if it's relevant to its poor running but in this picture 60874's trailing bogie is derailing...

I'll second the comment re the coaches; beautiful in line together like that, and yes it will be a shame to dirty them up...keep the inspirational pictures coming; wonderful stuff!

Oh.so it is! It got all the way round from the fiddle yard like that. I wish it was the reason for poor performance, but sadly it isn't. It sounds like a cement mixer - and it's not an L1. I can't complain though, as most of my split chassis stuff is pretty good.

I'm finding it hard to bring myself to weather the Midland set.

I weather some coaches destined for my own collection, but what I found when I actually had a layout was the models acquired a natural weathering when dust had settled on the roofs and footboards. From a commercial viewpoint, it is difficult to know how far to go with varnishing (one mans meat etc). Some folk do specifiy matt finish but if nothing is said I build up a semi-gloss finish with the spraygun. The problem with matt varnish is it dries leaving carmine red or maroon looking pinkish.

• Like 1

Another excellent batch of photos. I've always thought that a train being worked in by a Gateshead A4 and forward by a March B17 was quite exotic! I don't suppose the squaddies on the train thought of it in quite those terms. Another exotic engine change, sadly unphotographable, was a Stratford Britannia to a York V2 on the Thames Wharf - Niddrie at Grassmoor Junction, Whitemoor.

I agree about the 'something wrong' with the Crownline B17, but I've always thought it was something about the cab (as with the K1 from the same stable). I expect the Hornby B17 will turn up sometime, and the demos I've seen of that look very good.

And it's a :good: for the coal train!

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert,

Some more excellent photos. In the latest batch there is an articulated steel panelled twin behind your "rough" V2. Can you tell me the origin of these coaches please? Kit built, scratch built or something else? I've often seen photos of similar Gresley steel sided artics marshalled in Summer Saturday trains during the late 50's early 60's on the Birmingham to Bristol Midland mainline. It is an interesting piece of coaching stock that I'd like to model for the Barrow Road project.

http://www.rmweb.co....rrowroads-blog/

Cheers....Morgan

Edited by mlgilbert30

• RMweb Premium

I weather some coaches destined for my own collection, but what I found when I actually had a layout was the models acquired a natural weathering when dust had settled on the roofs and footboards. From a commercial viewpoint, it is difficult to know how far to go with varnishing (one mans meat etc). Some folk do specifiy matt finish but if nothing is said I build up a semi-gloss finish with the spraygun. The problem with matt varnish is it dries leaving carmine red or maroon looking pinkish.

Thanks Larry, I'll just tone the underframes down a bit and leave the rest to nature! I've got plenty of well weathered stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

Some more excellent photos. In the latest batch there is an articulated steel panelled twin behind your "rough" V2. Can you tell me the origin of these coaches please? Kit built, scratch built or something else? I've often seen photos of similar Gresley steel sided artics marshalled in Summer Saturday trains during the late 50's early 60's on the Birmingham to Bristol Midland mainline. It is an interesting piece of coaching stock that I'd like to model for the Barrow Road project.

http://www.rmweb.co....rrowroads-blog/

Cheers....Morgan

Hi Morgan,

Could I ask you to refer to post 1059 and some subsequent ones please? I don't have a problem with your not having seen them - things seem to get buried amazingly quickly on this thread now - but it will save my typing digit some work. Phoenix kits LNER page shows the kits as being available, but I have to say that a friend of mine ordered some and gave up in the end as he was sick of waiting. The Southern Pride ones Graeme refers to are etched sides only, other than that it's a scratchbuilding job. These sets were introduced as five coach fixed rakes, and on the ECML at least they were still running as such in the late '50's. The Phoenix page says that some sets were broken up, though I haven't seen any photographic evidence to support that.

There were a number of other steel artics, lncluding twins, but I don't know of any available kits for anything other than the ones I have. Hope that helps.

There were a number of other steel artics, lncluding twins, but I don't know of any available kits for anything other than the ones I have. Hope that helps.

Hi

If you prefer plastic kits the LNER Tourist stock Artic Twins are stillavailable from Mailcoach.

Ian

Hi Gilbert

I would love to have someof those ex LMS types alongside my BR(ER) stock if only I had the room and a suitible location.

Ian