Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

<snip>

The paintwork on "Sun Castle" just glows. It LOOKS like it's been dirtier, but cleaned.

I don't know how you could replicate it, but if you could get your A4's to look the same, they would be more realistic. At the moment they seem to have an overall flat sheen?

<snip>

The A4's are lovely models, but for me Hornby's interpretation of BR green just isn't quite right. I reckon Bachmann are closer as regards colour, but their lining is a bit obtrusive. The Golden Age one is the best, but then it should be at that price. I wonder how Tim would react if I asked him to do a repaint job on 14 of them? I reckon I'll soon know when he reads this.

Hmmm, now there's a thought. *sucks air through teeth* Gonna cost yer if I do... ;) :boast:

Seriously though, there is actually a solution, as such. I've started a trial process on a pair of my own fleet to achieve a similar result without having to resort to a complete repaint. The crucial ingredient to this being Johnsons Klear. The difference in finish is staggering and will certainly make a difference once all the other shades of muck are applied/removed etc. Sun Castle benefitted from this method and seems to have done the trick. One of the B1s I have in my care is already going through that same process, so there will doubtless be photos to come of it on here after delivery.

I shall have to get on with Old Contemptibles to see if all bodes well for the final touches on it before I can say for definite that it's a workable solution to the rather matte finish Hornby turn out. As you've guessed, I'm not much of a fan of how they look either when removed from the box! :nono:

• Like 3

Good Evening all.

I agree fully with Tim's remarks regarding a coat of Johnson's Klear on the Hornby A3's and A4's, it completely changes both the look giving the model almost a metallic look and brings the colour to life as well.

I now give all my locos a coat of Klear brush applied to give that Ex Works look then apply what ever degree of weathering on top on the Klear, very happy with the results.

I have just applied this to a brand new Bachmann A2 60533 Happy Knight, big improvement as well.

Great photos as usual Gilbert, Peterborough North just gets better and better.

Regards

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the water crane bagging - I used the kit bagging and varnished it with the crane lying flat on top of a piece of brown parcel tape. Not much sticks to the shiny side of brown parcel tape, apart from parcel tape. A friend in the fibre glass repair industry taught me that trick - he tells me that even glass resin doesn't stick to it if it is smooth with no wrinkles or folds.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest a couple of lengths of electrical solder glued up inside the bagging?

This Johnson's Klear: is it the stuff there was a big debate on recently on one of these sites, as it's changed, or no longer available?

This Johnson's Klear: is it the stuff there was a big debate on recently on one of these sites, as it's changed, or no longer available?

That's correct. If you have a bottle of it, hang on to it. They're like gold dust! I have heard that the new stuff will work (from my good pal Tony Sissons) but I'm yet to see it for myself.

Hi

You can still obtain the new formula Johnson's Klear in Asda and some Tesco Stores,

I tried it side by side with the old original Klear on white plastic coach body and there is no difference whats so ever.

I would suggest to anyone by some now before the new formula disappears as well.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Hi

I purchased my bottle of klear in the Swindon Tesco's store about four months ago, I have just been over to Tesco's this morning and they do not have any left on the shelves.

I think both morrison's and Asda still supply it, you find it under Cleaning as you said or with the Floor Cleaning products.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Mr Easter is a dangerous man with a bottle of Klear....most badly weathered locos run in fear at the dark sorcery he can perform.....especially after he has had a pint of one of his ales! :P

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just a few more snaps today. I've been reading the camera manual again, but it hasn't made much difference. A nice big glamorous start.

post-98-0-63489800-1330363980_thumb.jpg

Top shed's Gannet has arrived with the 1100 KX- Glasgow, and will give way to Golden Eagle, returning to it's home city.

post-98-0-58026200-1330364083_thumb.jpg

A slightly different view. I will get that bagging right. :mad:

Then a complete contrast, a very short transfer freight running wrong line on the Up main, but that's OK, as it was signalled for bi directional running. Nice little engine isn't it? Last one was scrapped four years before my period, but never mind.

post-98-0-92489900-1330364328_thumb.jpg

What is slightly annoying is that this shot gives the best light of all, but also brings in those ***** bookcases.

post-98-0-33902000-1330364426_thumb.jpg

Another handsome loco, and another Tony Wright special too. She is heading the 1237 to Norwich.

post-98-0-60830200-1330364528_thumb.jpg

Looks very nice from this angle too.

• Like 13

I do look forward to photo time in your thread GIlbert :P I particular like the rear view of the B12, very atmospherical!

The effects you get on your camera are very impressive. It's a Canon G12 right? Once funds are in a better position I will be definitely getting myself. Of course I realise a good camera wont make good photos without someone who knows how to get the best out of it.

Your certainly getting the best out of yours...keep them coming please! ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Marvellous photos again. Those two B12 pics are just superb. A sky coloured bed sheet draped over the bookshelves might stop the eyes from being distracted. :)

That would be potentially rather dangerous I'm afraid. My heart is in my mouth even when I'm getting a book off the higher shelves. I'm just going to have to learn how to do photoshopping. Unfortunately the shelves were there first, are very firmly fixed, and I don't have anywhere else to put all those books either, so I have to live with them. The thought of even books crashing down on the layout is not one I like to contemplate though. Let alone me crashing down on it!

What is slightly annoying is that this shot gives the best light of all, but also brings in those ***** bookcases.

Gilbert have you thought of getting a very light blue sheet you could hang over the bookcases and other intusive backgrounds whilst you are taking your photographs.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone but it really was a quick and dirty job in Photoshop. Unfortunately I have too much work to do today to play with many more but if you want to learn how to do it, just buy Photoshop and cruise sites like http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials.htm

Also helps that I have been doing this stuff since about 1982(?)

• Like 1