RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

Well thanks for that, Mike.  It makes sense and is probably what I might have guessed but it's better to hear it from the voice of experience.

Gilbert - when you feel like it, I have a request?  if we're nearly at the end of a sequence then perhaps we can take possession of the line during an overnight slack period?

I was asked at the weekend what I thought the best route to building an A4 would be.  Yes, there are still people building A4s.  The options being considered were SEF, Finney and Hornby body on a Comet chassis, all with appropriate levels of additional detailing.  Now, I don't know many people with more A4s than you - how many variants do you have and would you mind doing a 'compare and contrast'?

I'd be interested to know if your advice would be the same as mine.

(I bet TW has an opinion as well...?)

• Like 1

This layout exists partly because of my friend Dave Shakespeare...

So, it it weren't for Dave, you probably wouldn't be reading this, and I wouldn't have had many many hours of happiness. And what should I, indeed all of us, learn from the awful thing that has struck Dave? Surely that we just don't know what is round the corner, and that we should enjoy every day granted to us while we can, and laugh and enjoy ourselves as much as possible. If I sit around moping it won't help Dave, and I suspect that I'd get the sharp end of his tongue if I did, so I'm carrying on as normal, and I hope everyone else will too. It isn't wrong to take enjoyment from life despite horrible things like this happening. If Dave can retain his wonderful sense of humour at a time like this, what excuse do the rest of us have for not doing the same?

.....let's keep the thread that he was so instrumental in starting the lively and friendly place to visit that it has always been.

Great sentiments in a lovely posting.

Cracking looking loco as well! The outside cylinders on a compound seem to make it a particularly difficult prototype to produce and work well in model form but Bachmann look to have made a 'first rate' job of it. Look forward to seeing more of it in and around Peterborough North. :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well thanks for that, Mike.  It makes sense and is probably what I might have guessed but it's better to hear it from the voice of experience.

Gilbert - when you feel like it, I have a request?  if we're nearly at the end of a sequence then perhaps we can take possession of the line during an overnight slack period?

I was asked at the weekend what I thought the best route to building an A4 would be.  Yes, there are still people building A4s.  The options being considered were SEF, Finney and Hornby body on a Comet chassis, all with appropriate levels of additional detailing.  Now, I don't know many people with more A4s than you - how many variants do you have and would you mind doing a 'compare and contrast'?

I have only two variants Jonathan. !5 Hornby and one Golden Age! TW said some time ago that he would never bother building another A4, as he couldn't improve on what Hornby have done, but I'll ask him which option he thinks he would take if he did, if you see what I mean. The Golden Age one is certainly better than my Hornby ones, but not 10 times better, which is the price differential,and I'm always slightly worried when I run it in case anything untoward happens. The SEF kit is a pretty old one now, and no doubt TW can pick out several inaccuracies, while the Finney one will be excellent, but I imagine very time consuming and not at all easy to put together. Detailed Hornby with a Comet chassis looks the most pragmatic option to me, but TW is the man to ask, so I will.

• Like 1

I've always found that to deal with a great heartache, the best thing is to keep doing what you love and cherish the time you have.

On a different note, I love what you did with the backgrounds. Being a local I know its vastly incorrect, but they still fit the part. I took the train home from Cambridge to Peterborough (North) today and I'm always amazed that so much of the old infrastructure still remains. There is still several signalboxes, semaphore signalling and a view of the old Peterborough East.

edited as previous comments didn't sound right

Edited by Coldgunner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening Gilbert and how wonderful it is to 'have you back'.

I think you have chosen exactly the right tribute to your friend by continuing to share this great layout and the stock that inhabits it. Dave can continue to enjoy looking at something he helped establish for as long as he wishes. We too can just sit back and admire something that brings us huge amounts of pleasure and involves us in something none of us can resist.

Excellent 'new' loco, lovely coaches, thoughtful 'poses'. 

Made my evening once again and just as a parting 'shot', I wonder if you realise that there are quite a few of us out here that have received huge amounts of support during 'dark times' simply by sharing in this topic. Thank you mate.

P @ 36E

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Me again JW, this time with TW's views, which to my surprise are very similar to mine, as set out in post 3554.

SE Finecast - he says very old kit, and certainly won't make the most A4 like A4!

Finney. - very expensive in both initial cost and time needed to build it. Also he feels it is not for the inexperienced kit builder in view of its complexity

Hornby - body by far the best yet, and is it possible to build a better running chassis? He says the Comet chassis was designed for the old tender drive Hornby A4, so amending it to fit the new body would not be straightforward.

Conclusion. Which is best depends on the level of skill of the builder, and the purpose for which it is being built. If it is for display only, then the Finney kit, or alternatively the Wessex ProScale one would best fit the bill, but either would require a great deal of work. RTR - you can't beat latest Hornby, but that isn't what you are asking!

That's a rotton trick posting images of the BR lined out Bachy Compound Gilbert, as I've spent over a week closing my mind to this pesky engine............I've got one I keep telling meself, but those extended frames do it for me. It's how I remember them, looking dead chunky at the front end, mind you, I'll bet I wasn't the only young linesider that wondered why some 2P locos had cylinders and some not!   :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the time, Gilbert and thanks to Tony too.  That all chimes very much with my own thoughts although I hadn't thought of the Proscale kit.  My questioner is a very capable builder so the Finney kit is well within his compass but with the drawbacks you highlight. 

I have only two variants Jonathan. 15 Hornby and one Golden Age!

I think that says all we need to know about where the discerning buyer is putting his A4 budget these days.  Whether the Hornby mech is a valid choice I don't know, depends on where the finished loco will run, but I can't see that it will have anything much more challenging than what yours do for a living.  Have you added weight to yours or are they as they came out of the container?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for taking the time, Gilbert and thanks to Tony too.  That all chimes very much with my own thoughts although I hadn't thought of the Proscale kit.  My questioner is a very capable builder so the Finney kit is well within his compass but with the drawbacks you highlight. 

I think that says all we need to know about where the discerning buyer is putting his A4 budget these days.  Whether the Hornby mech is a valid choice I don't know, depends on where the finished loco will run, but I can't see that it will have anything much more challenging than what yours do for a living.  Have you added weight to yours or are they as they came out of the container?

Mine vary a bit, but I'm told that dragging tender pick ups can cause that. Most will haul 9 coach rakes of Bachmann Mk1's, still with the weight in, or similar length rakes with a mixture of Bachmann and kit built. All baulked at my 10 coach very heavy Elizabethan set, but so did my Golden Age one. Two or three have now had some added weight, and will handle even that load. They would struggle with these loads if gradients were involved though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been over to see Dave Shakespeare today, and we had a really good time. He's over the first shock, and vowing to leave no stone unturned in trying to find a way of treating his illness. He is feeling stronger too, I was surprised that even after four hours or more he wasn't flagging. We must still be realistic, as he is, but I came away feeling much happier,and resolved to enjoy as much of his company as I can for as long as he is given.

• Like 19

Hello Gilbert,

I think the reason cloudy skies look better is that the lighting in your room doesn't cast the right shadows for a sunny day. If the buildings and trains are not bathed in sunlight, a sunny sky will look wrong.

I've been following this thread quietly since last Summer, and just thought I'd chip in now when you're feeling a bit down. I've no background interest in the Eastern Region at all, but yours is by far my favourite thread on rmweb. I particularly like the good natured discussion of every aspect of modelling and the prototype, from weathering to unidentified signalling, to Hales fruit pies, vacuum pipes, lamps and telegraphs. It's always interesting, frequently amusing, and I've learned so much about Pacifics that I think I could grab a notebook and stand at the end of a platform in 1958 and not be detected as an intruder.

I particularly enjoy the photo of the day, and the fact that there is always something interesting happening at Peterborough. It always brightens things up when work gets tedious here.

From your thread I've discovered Tom's York shed, Tim's weathering, Grantham and, belatedly, Tetley's Mills, and I'm deeply saddened by Dave's diagnosis and just hope for the best.

Anyway, whatever happens, keep up the posting and the modelling behind it, and I'll return to the platform and keep pressing the 'like' button.

Alan

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

That 'minerals' will be a great feature when Dave visits over the coming years mate. What a lovely gesture from Mr. S.

Alan, welcome to the best thread on the web. Just like go with the like flow like and like enjoy the ride, or whatever the youngsters of today say (I just hate that new habit of youngsters using 'like' every other breath - pah).

Sincerely, Phil @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

A very 'moving' latest post GN, in more ways than one.

I couldn't help noticing that Tetley's Mills sub shed have looked after their charge well (despite work-stained appearance) - lamp, front coupling, vac pipe... :tomato:

Oh I say! Bit harsh, what? :cry:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There has been yet another new addition to the loco stud, but this one is particularly significant. It is a transfer from the West Riding, 56A Wakefield, Tetley's Mills sub shed to be precise. I'm sure it will soon feel quite at home among the existing dirty denizens of New England.

Bit of a tear in the eye seeing this one; like two great layouts coming together...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I rather like the second ( I am often quite contrary!) it is certainly hard to give scale to.

Plus I love V2's....

Given a slightly deeper thought process, I think it is because real world often has locations like that, light compromised under the bridge, shadows blah blah....so it looks real, not an 'ideal' photo location.  I have some shots like that in Chur, better not post them as it would 'somewhat' be off topic, :offtopic:  but would demonstrate my point!  A bit more grease and oil on the motion of the V2 would finish the job off nicely.  :secret:

What a super train set you are building, Gilbert.

Edit for speeling.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 2

Lovely V2 shots.

Has anyone else like me been afflicted with a bug called Photographic Tonyius Wrightitis?

It means that every time I look at a photo of a model puffer, the first thing I do is check for correct lamps and whether the loco valve gear is correctly set in forward-mid-back as appropriate.

I know some of you have it too, as there was an outbreak of spotting missing pipes not long ago...

cheers Tony, we've never met and yet I'll never be the same again! :D

(that's not a bad thing)

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1