Peterborough North

great northern

It's those EU directives I'm more worried about Dave, like when I get my fish vans, how many fish will I be allowed to put in them? And what sort? Do you think they might impose a maximum locomotive quota tSimple :O

Simple,  Gilbert. Pretend your French and ignore what you don't like. :jester:

Did I really say that. :sungum:

Sorry its late,but still more Computer issues. :girldevil:

• Like 3

Gilbert, you DO realise that in your first photo, if you put some ballast in place, disguised the two point motors and mocked up a shed building along the back, you have the south end of Doncaster Carr depot around 1959....

• Like 1

Excuse me for butting in Great Northern, but I wondered if this might be relevent to you.

The buildings (or what was left of them) at the left hand side of the Great Northern Hotel have now all been demolished.

If you require any photos of them as they were in 2009, then I suggest you go to Google street view and take some screen grabs before Google Maps get updated.

mick.

• RMweb Premium

B1 transfer to NE - just the job - someone has nicked the fall plate en route though :rtfm:
Of course it will go back to Wakefield in an even worse state..... what will be missing then?

Quack. 

P.S. happened to see one of my 'peers' thundering up Shap on Saturday afternoon - nice.

• RMweb Premium

Excuse me for butting in Great Northern, but I wondered if this might be relevent to you.

The buildings (or what was left of them) at the left hand side of the Great Northern Hotel have now all been demolished.

If you require any photos of them as they were in 2009, then I suggest you go to Google street view and take some screen grabs before Google Maps get updated.

mick.

Thanks Mick, good of you to alert me. As it happens, I did take a trip down about three years ago and take some photos of that area, so I shall be OK. It's a shame that a bit more history has gone, but in all honesty they wouldn't have won any prizes for architectural merit. I suppose it means my effort becomes a bit of a historical record though. :O

Edited by great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,I thought tht D11's had  occassional runs done the ECML post 58 am I incorrect?

I can only find reference to one, David. Railway Observer records that on 19th July 1958 62660 worked three bogies ECS Retford to Newark, then 0732 Newark to Honington, connecting there with the 0523 Edwinstowe- Yarmouth Vauxhall, then back ECS to Retford. It does show that there were some fascinating specials about, but it didn't get as far as Peterborough, and I suspect that three coaches is about as heavy a load as one would have been allowed to tackle on the main line by that time, as their condition was not very good.

That Edwinstowe - Yarmouth working must have been a real marathon for the passengers. It isn't that far from Edwinstowe to Honington, yet it must have taken well over two hours to get there! The route would be along the LD &EC to Dukeries Junction, then down the main line to Barkston and off to the left to Honington. If 62660 left Newark at 0732 it wouldn't get to Honington much before 0800 at the earliest. And how much longer would it then have taken to get to Yarmouth? Certainly not a day trip I would have thought.

I think one or two Directors from Lincoln and Immingham got to Kings Cross in the early'50's on special workings. Could that be what you were thinking about?

• RMweb Premium

How can I say this.  Ahem.

I don't actually like B17's, I think they look odd, all hunched up.....sorry.

However, I love the D11, and I really like that one, with all the grot of a loco near withdrawal, ekeing out her last days.  Great atmoshere.

#runs to hide#

I can only find reference to one, David. Railway Observer records that on 19th July 1958 62660 worked three bogies ECS Retford to Newark, then 0732 Newark to Honington, connecting there with the 0523 Edwinstowe- Yarmouth Vauxhall, then back ECS to Retford. It does show that there were some fascinating specials about, but it didn't get as far as Peterborough, and I suspect that three coaches is about as heavy a load as one would have been allowed to tackle on the main line by that time, as their condition was not very good.

That Edwinstowe - Yarmouth working must have been a real marathon for the passengers. It isn't that far from Edwinstowe to Honington, yet it must have taken well over two hours to get there! The route would be along the LD &EC to Dukeries Junction, then down the main line to Barkston and off to the left to Honington. If 62660 left Newark at 0732 it wouldn't get to Honington much before 0800 at the earliest. And how much longer would it then have taken to get to Yarmouth? Certainly not a day trip I would have thought.

I think one or two Directors from Lincoln and Immingham got to Kings Cross in the early'50's on special workings. Could that be what you were thinking about?

It could have been. I've recollection there was a caption in a Keith Pirt book describing a working in I think 59.  The caption could be wrong. TBH I was looking for an excuse for one that just crept into my 1959 -61 period. 

Looks like I'll be saving the money for that to go toward an O2. 

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did any "Day Tripper" holiday specials ever go through Peterborough?  Many of the D11s I saw were at Cleethorpes on Day Tripper specials when they hauled out anything they could get their hands on.  So it could possibly be on a special

I must say I'm very appreciative of these efforts to help me justify a D11. :yes:  I used to see them on summer Saturdays at Retford on those Cleethorpes workings, sometimes nearly the whole class. There were plenty of holiday trains round Peterborough, but trains from there seem to have gone mainly to Hunstanton. The trip to Yarmouth via the M&GN took four hours, so I doubt many used that for a day trip. They were all Sheffield based by 1958, and Yorkshire folk did tend to go to Cleethorpes rather than even Skegness or Mablethorpe, so visits to peterborough would be very unlikely.

I was a little bit choked a few weeks ago to see how much of the old Peterborough East will soon disappear. Years ago (90's) its was a wide open space and the remaining platform edge quite visible. Its screaming out to be modelled!

What sort of loco's would have been typical for the old Peterborough-Northampton line, Black 5's perhaps?

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for picking up on the Peterborough East story. Apparently as the Muddle & Go Nowhere replaced its own engines from the mid 1930's the line saw newer engines such as the K2 2-6-0s and B12 4-6-0s becoming common. The ex-GER "Claud Hamilton" 4-4-0s also helped provide the locomotive backbone of this later period.

From the 1950s, Ivatt 4MTs became the dominant motive power on the system, which achieved a higher degree of standardisation than any other part of British Railways — more than 50 of these "mucky ducks" were allocated to the route. The line also saw Ivatt 2MTs and occasional Standard 4MT types.

Apparently British Railways' Eastern Region was an early adopter of diesel motive power and the M&GN lines were used by Brush Type 2 locomotives and several early DMU types including Class 101 and Class 105s. A fleet of the latter was commissioned in the mid-1950s to take over all the long-distance locomotive-hauled passenger services, but the line's closure in 1959 saw them re-allocated (especially to the Great Northern suburban commuter workings out of King's Cross).

Additionally the line to the west was built as the Northampton and Peterborough Railway. The engineer was Robert Stephenson. The line was relatively easy to build, following the valley of the River Nene to Peterborough, with only a small tunnel to the west of Wansford. Stations were be provided wherever the line crossed a turnpike where there would be level crossings. Most of the line was raised on embankments because of the likelihood of flooding. In spite of this it occurred from time to time. In 1852 for instance several bridges were swept away and the line was closed for a week.

The line opened from Blisworth to Northampton in May, 1845 and then throughout in June, the 47 miles having taken only a year to build. The station at Blisworth was rebuilt next to the junction, and Northampton people at last had their train service to London. In 1846 the line, along with the London and Birmingham, became part of the London and North Western Railway.

Although the infrastructure of the line had been built for double track, only a single track was laid from Northampton to Peterborough, with a passing loop at Thrapston. This single line working was facilitated by the installation of electric telegraph. However it became clear that the traffic would be such that doubling would be required very quickly and this was completed by September 1846. Two stations were unusual to say the least. One, Ringstead and Addington was approached on foot from one direction by means of stepping stones. Another, Ditchford was said to be the location of famous treacle mines.

There were five trains each way on weekdays and Saturdays, with two on Sunday, and extra services between Northampton and Blisworth. Initially the goods was traffic was cattle and coal but later iron ore became important.

Now we come to the M&GN connections. In 1857 the Midland Railway built a line from Wigston to meet the GNR at Hitchin via Wellingborough. It built a spur to the LNWR station for goods. In 1861 the LNWR began running trains from Wichnor near Burton on Trent and the Midland then began running trains between Wellingborough and Northampton. The Midland built a small station in 1866 near the LNWR's (the latter becoming Northampton Bridge Street in 1876). This little station closed in 1872 when the Midland built its main line from Bedford and opened a new station at St John Street.

In 1881, the LNWR opened the Northampton Loop Line which placed the town on a through service superseding Blisworth.

At grouping in 1923 it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway. The use of level crossings had reduced the costs of building the line, but it greatly increased operating expenses and it became be a major reason for the line being closed to passengers by British Rail in 1964.

The Northampton and Peterborough Railway closed in 1964, followed 2 years later by the closure of Peterborough East station and the passenger services to Rugby however some passenger trains still ran from the boarding school at Oundle until 1972 when the line closed completely (the line between Rugby and Nassington remained open to facilitate this. The line was finally closed with much of the track remaining in situ, part of it was eventually reopened as the Nene Valley Railway heritage line).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was a little bit choked a few weeks ago to see how much of the old Peterborough East will soon disappear. Years ago (90's) its was a wide open space and the remaining platform edge quite visible. Its screaming out to be modelled!

What sort of loco's would have been typical for the old Peterborough-Northampton line, Black 5's perhaps?

Some black 5's, but mainly towards the end. In BR days, some surprising engines for an ex LNWR line, as Spital Bridge shed was responsible for a lot of the passenger turns. B12's were used until about 1957, and after that D16's, plus 4F's ex LMS 2.6.4T's and the other types you would have expected to see on a secondary Midland Region line. Oh, and some of the last workings of the B17's were over this line as March took over the workings after Spital Bridge closed.

• RMweb Premium

How can I say this.  Ahem.

I don't actually like B17's, I think they look odd, all hunched up.....sorry.

However, I love the D11, and I really like that one, with all the grot of a loco near withdrawal, ekeing out her last days.  Great atmoshere.

#runs to hide#

We WILL find you. Wherever you run. There is no hiding place. :threaten: :bomb_mini:

• Like 5

Thanks to Gilbert for the hospitality this afternoon. We did have a very brief visit to the layout room early this evening after sorting some bits out and I did sneak the chance to get one snap and have a play in between pancakes tonight!

attachicon.gifPN1s.jpg

These photos are getting TOO real now, that can't honestly be a model!!!

Ian

• Like 1